The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning Press Conference [Toffoli add, Boeser, Levio injuries]

Rate this topic

Rush17

21 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Hopefully, this shut up people who wanted JB to trade all of our assets for a gazillion draft picks.  An NHL team has 23 players and 50 players contracts including the AHL.  You can't have 15 draft picks every year for 2-3 years and expect to develop and signs all of them.  There is limited ice-time and staff resources for player development.  Having too many draft picks can actually hurt your most prominent prospect, since resources are spread thin.

This was a low risk, high reward trade IMO.

Madden could come back to bite us, but at the same time, we have 3 young centers, and I don't see him replacing any of them. So, this really was just a matter of time until he got moved to address a need somewhere else.

The advantage of the depth that Benning has built up for us is, we can afford to do that now.

Benning also said in his interview, that he'll look at options to pickup other draft picks before the draft. He's going to have an active summer of reworking the team to make room for everyone.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, stawns said:

Didn't he say 7 players?  

Mac

Podz

Hog

Jasek

OJ

Woo

Try

He said at least. He started at 7 and then said, probably more, but was later in the interview.

We have a lot to be excited about!

Edited by VegasCanuck
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Madden could come back to bite us, but at the same time, we have 3 young centers, and I don't see him replacing any of them. So, this really was just a matter of time until he got moved to address a need somewhere else.

The advantage of the depth that Benning has built up for us is, we can afford to do that now.

Benning also said in his interview, that he'll look at options to pickup other draft picks before the draft. He's going to have an active summer of reworking the team to make room for everyone.

4 young centres

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Gone next season cuz I don't think VAN will resign them:

Leivo

Graovac

Goldobin

Stecher (like Hutton...good but not good enough for QO).

Traded away for draft picks (if possible):

Roussel

Benn

Sutter

Re-signed to team friendly deal:

Toffoli

Virtanen

Tanev

Fantenberg

Retire:

LE (please please please after signing bonus)

LTIR:
Ferland (can't see him coming back)

47 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I think he said 7 players

Im pretty sure Juolevi and Woo/Rafferty have better odds of cracking an NHL team than Lockwood and Focht

Yeah, but defensemen aren't going to have an effect on a forward making the squad (unless we're up against the contract limit).

9 minutes ago, BPA said:

Gone next season cuz I don't think VAN will resign them:

Leivo

Graovac

Goldobin

Stecher (like Hutton...good but not good enough for QO).

Traded away for draft picks (if possible):

Roussel

Benn

Sutter

Re-signed to team friendly deal:

Toffoli

Virtanen

Tanev

Fantenberg

Retire:

LE (please please please after signing bonus)

LTIR:
Ferland (can't see him coming back)

Stecher will get traded, there's enough upside in him, plays a solid game, would be an improvement in 5/6 pairing on a lot of NHL teams and is not a bad rate.

Roussel, I believe that they will keep, he's had a rough year, but he was injured and that takes time to fully recover from. I think you're right, there's a good chance that they will try and move Benn and Sutter

I agree on the resign, they will also resign Markstrom, probably about 6 million.

Your list of changes is really pretty close to mine.

I really think LE retires.

14 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

Yeah, but defensemen aren't going to have an effect on a forward making the squad (unless we're up against the contract limit).

Yeah, but in terms of assets, I think he was just alluding to the notion that losing just one out of 7+ prospects justifies adding a roster player right now.

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

Stecher will get traded, there's enough upside in him, plays a solid game, would be an improvement in 5/6 pairing on a lot of NHL teams and is not a bad rate.

Roussel, I believe that they will keep, he's had a rough year, but he was injured and that takes time to fully recover from. I think you're right, there's a good chance that they will try and move Benn and Sutter

I agree on the resign, they will also resign Markstrom, probably about 6 million.

Your list of changes is really pretty close to mine.

I thought Hutton would have gotten traded last year but it didn't happen.  So I'm thinking that to be the case with Stecher.

Roussel is good but we need cap space.  Hopefully Big Mac and Bailey can slot in somewhere.

Forgot about Markstrom, thanks.

22 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

There is a log jam at center with Petey, Bo, and Gaud. Plus 4-5 solid wingers that will be looking to make the jump in the next 2-3 years. 

I see the following players making the NHL in the next 3 years:

MacEwan

Podkolzin

Lind

Hoglander

Juolevi

Woo?

7 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I do too. He's been given a fair chance on the 2nd line and he's also played decently for the most part as an interim solution, but it's obvious he no longer has that last step and hopefully he's feeling that as well. If he retires, this last season has been a somewhat worthy ending to a disappointing time in Vancouver.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Poor Boes. Can’t catch a break. That being said, wouldn’t be surprised this summer if a Boeser for Dumba type trade happens. Especially if the Canucks do well with Taffoli and what he says about the future players. That D needs an immediate impact with Tanev’s future in doubt. 

Edited by Pickly

1 minute ago, J-P said:

I do too. He's been given a fair chance on the 2nd line and he's also played decently for the most part as an interim solution, but it's obvious he no longer has that last step and hopefully he's feeling that as well. If he retires, this last season has been a somewhat worthy ending to a disappointing time in Vancouver.

Retiring after this season will restore some of Loui’s reputation back in Sweden.  After his July 15/bonus is paid, LE will retire.  IMO the decision has already been made.  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Poor Boes. Can’t catch a break. That being said, wouldn’t be surprised this summer if a Boeser for Dumba type trade happens. Especially if the Canucks do well with Taffoli and what he says about the future players. That D needs an immediate impact with Tanev’s future in doubt. 

Factoring in the big minus Dumba brings defensively, he is not an upgrade on Stecher 5 on 5.  If fact, he is worse than Stecher 5 on 5.  Go check Dumba’s stats this season.  They are terrible, especially 5 on 5.  There is zero chance JB would trade Bess for Dumba.  There is zero chance JB would trade Jake for Dumba.  There is zero chance JB would trade for Dumba.  

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, BPA said:

I thought Hutton would have gotten traded last year but it didn't happen.  So I'm thinking that to be the case with Stecher.

Roussel is good but we need cap space.  Hopefully Big Mac and Bailey can slot in somewhere.

Forgot about Markstrom, thanks.

Hutton I think of as a different situation. To qualify him, we were close to 3 million and he had arbitration rights which could have pushed his contract to the high 3 million, low 4 million range. The Canucks didn't place that much value in him, they thought he could be easily replaced, and it turns out, they were right.

Stecher is a better overall defenseman, can be qualified for under 2.5 million and is from Vancouver and all things being equal, would probably like to stay here. They could likely resign him for 3 - 4 years at 2.5 million per, which for the game Stecher plays, he's an attractive addition for a lot of teams in the league. He skates well, handles the puck well under pressure. Is a little small, but has proven durable and can even fight if needed.

• Cheers 4