The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning Press Conference [Toffoli add, Boeser, Levio injuries]

Rate this topic

Rush17

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Factoring in the big minus Dumba brings defensively, he is not an upgrade on Stecher 5 on 5.  If fact, he is worse than Stecher 5 on 5.  Go check Dumba’s stats this season.  They are terrible, especially 5 on 5.  There is zero chance JB would trade Bess for Dumba.  There is zero chance JB would trade Jake for Dumba.  There is zero chance JB would trade for Dumba.  

Lol awe man. You again. He’s -8 on a god awful Wild team and 2 years removed from a 50 point, +15 season. He’s on a friendly contract and entering the prime of career. His value is low because he is having a bad year. So no, I disagree with you. 

4 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Lol awe man. You again. He’s -8 on a god awful Wild team and 2 years removed from a 50 point, +15 season. He’s on a friendly contract and entering the prime of career. His value is low because he is having a bad year. So no, I disagree with you. 

Any team that trades top young players like Bess for a guy who two years ago was showing promise is looking to go seriously backwards.  Fact is Dumba for the last season and this one has been terrible 5 on 5.  Factor in his minus and he’s right about 

Stecher level.  Easy no to any trade for Dumba. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Any team that trades top young players like Bess for a guy who two years ago was showing promise is looking to go seriously backwards.  Fact is Dumba for the last season and this one has been terrible 5 on 5.  Factor in his minus and he’s right about 

Stecher level.  Easy no to any trade for Dumba. 

Boeser has gone nothing but backwards since his rookie year so that argument nullifies itself. Anybody who tricks themselves into believing Boeser has been anything but a passenger on Petey’s line this season needs a reality check. His last 11 games speak for itself. If he was such a play driver and impact player he would score goals no matter who he’s playing with. 3 pretty bad injuries in 3 years to boot and yeah, I think this is a realistic trade. 

• Like 1
  • Wat 1

He said 7 young players in 2-3 years is the conservative guess. So 7 surefire roster players in his view, but more is possible. My guess:

Sure things

- Jasek

- Rafferty

- Juolevi

- Hoglander

- Podkolzin

- Macewen (might have to be included here)

- Tryamkin

Possible

- Rathbone

- Woo

- Lind

- Dipietro

- Brisebois

(- Gadjovich)

• Cheers 1

JB has said before he thinks 2 or 3 kids will come in next year and he sees at least 2 kids coming in making the team every year for the foreseeable future. 

This isn't new. He's felt this way since earlier in the season. 

McEwen Rafferty will make the team out of camp next year.

OJ and Lind will get call ups next season and make the team the following season after next.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

And Hoglander.  Not high on this guy.  

Okay some of you didn’t understand this post.

i don’t think Hoglander is one of the seven JB was talking about.  IMO Hoglander has to do a lot of maturing to play in the NHL.  I see a showboat selfish player.  Still don’t understand?  

I think JB tried to make Hoglander the guy in the trade for Tofu, but the King’s didn’t want him.  

Alf kind of really REALLY doesn’t like this prospect.  

What Jim is saying can't be overstated. The players in the dressing room appreciate the upgrade without losing a roster player. As a team claws its way back into the playoffs, asset management in its purest sense has to be put on the back burner. If we did in fact pay a little too much in futures for a rental, the players love it and it could be the difference between an emotional letdown where a 2 game losing streak extends to 6, and a team that shows resiliency and bounces back as they have done so far this year. Our talented young core could care less about losing a second round pick that may make a difference in 5 years. If they are expected to give their heart and soul, they want to know management is on the same page.This management group would never trade their UFAs on expiring contracts like Markstrom or Tanev even if they know they can't re-sign them. Bad asset management maybe, but very important in developing your young core.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Hogs and Podz are off limits for getting traded. They are both going to be very good top 6 forwards with us. The type we need to win a Cup.

Elliotte FriedmanFebruary 18, 2020, 3:35 PM

I get this one from the Canucks.

From what I understand, they made it clear two prospects are not going anywhere: Nils Hoglander and Vasily Podkolzin. And I think they were worried on Sunday night that they’d lost out on Tyler Toffoli, only to have talks resume Monday.

I don’t believe that Hoglander will be an NHL player.  Plus, how does Friedman know this?  He’s simply speculating...”from what I understand”.  

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Boeser out for at least 2 months. Ferland done for year Leivo out for regular season. 

Do the Canucks have enough to make the playoffs

Going to be tough. 

its going to be tough for everyone in the Pacific. I really like the size and dependability of our top 6 now tho. Miller, Toffoli, Bo, Jake, thats not going to be easy to play against. 

I'd really like to see a depth d addition somehow over the next week tho. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1