The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cap strategy between now and Summer of 2021 when we have to re-up Petey and Hughes

Rate this topic

Patel Bure

17 hours ago, KariyaSakicAnderson said:

Yes at the moment they have about 18 mil for next year, plus whatever the cap increase will be which I assume will be modest at around 1.5.. so 19.5 for 10 players isn't much considering some of the players that need to be signed, but as I agreed with a part of the OP, I anticipate that Sutter and/or Baertschi will be moved this upcoming offseason thus freeing up more cap space, sure this years performance bonuses could effectively lower the available money next year, but i don't think all bonuses will be achieved maybe half so about 2 mil or so, also I'm not sure if ltir covers the bonuses? I think ltir may when the bonus is actually achieved it becomes that players full salary? not sure if you know? I am interested.

[…]

Performance bonuses are accounted for at the end of the season and come out of the end of season cap space.

On CapFriendly the Canucks’ end of season cap space has been stuck at 30’474.- ever since Ferland went on LTIR.  Any bonuses beyond that amount will be carried over to next season’s cap.

Pettersson and Hughes are expected to hit their schedule A of a combined 1.7M.  Gaudette and MacEwen might have some games played bonuses.  

This is Mirtle explaining why Vegas wanted to move the Clarkson LTIR contract:

“If you have to use LTIR during a season, which they would have with Clarkson, any and all bonuses immediately carry over to the following year’s cap. You also don’t accrue additional cap space as the season moves along if you’re in LTIR, which can be a nuisance that makes roster maneuvering more difficult.”

Cap space is banked when the maximum daily cap hit exceeds the daily cap hits of the players.  LTIR allows to exceed the maximum cap hit up to the amount needed to remain cap compliant.  So whenever a team is in LTIR there’s no daily difference created that can be banked towards the end of season cap space (as the maximum daily cap hit is equal to the daily cap hits of the roster).

The recall conditions with LTIR in use also limits who can be recalled from the minors.  In LTIR the performance bonuses that are still attainable have to be covered in a recall.  Juolevi has a cap hit of 863K but his recall cap hit with LTIR in use would have been 2.3M earlier this season.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mll said:

Performance bonuses are accounted for at the end of the season and come out of the end of season cap space.

On CapFriendly the Canucks’ end of season cap space has been stuck at 30’474.- ever since Ferland went on LTIR.  Any bonuses beyond that amount will be carried over to next season’s cap.

Pettersson and Hughes are expected to hit their schedule A of a combined 1.7M.  Gaudette and MacEwen might have some games played bonuses.  

This is Mirtle explaining why Vegas wanted to move the Clarkson LTIR contract:

“If you have to use LTIR during a season, which they would have with Clarkson, any and all bonuses immediately carry over to the following year’s cap. You also don’t accrue additional cap space as the season moves along if you’re in LTIR, which can be a nuisance that makes roster maneuvering more difficult.”

Cap space is banked when the maximum daily cap hit exceeds the daily cap hits of the players.  LTIR allows to exceed the maximum cap hit up to the amount needed to remain cap compliant.  So whenever a team is in LTIR there’s no daily difference created that can be banked towards the end of season cap space (as the maximum daily cap hit is equal to the daily cap hits of the roster).

The recall conditions with LTIR in use also limits who can be recalled from the minors.  In LTIR the performance bonuses that are still attainable have to be covered in a recall.  Juolevi has a cap hit of 863K but his recall cap hit with LTIR in use would have been 2.3M earlier this season.

Thank you for this!! Great info and insight.

It seems like unless some salary is moved most of the performance bonuses will be tagged on to next year. 

As much as that may sting, Im happy that the young guys are playing great and earing those bonuses. 

The problem with all of this is that when you want to trade overpaid players or players on expiring contracts, you need to do it at the trade deadline when teams are most desperate. This is something JB has proven he will not do if the team is even remotely in reach of the playoffs.

21 minutes ago, FlyLow_ said:

The problem with all of this is that when you want to trade overpaid players or players on expiring contracts, you need to do it at the trade deadline when teams are most desperate. This is something JB has proven he will not do if the team is even remotely in reach of the playoffs.

Teams have to want our players in the first place.   Look what a 50 plus point Vanek managed at the time...he also moved Bieksa, Burrows and Hansen.   But I do get what your saying.    Appears we are buyers so not this year (again). 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Teams have to want our players in the first place.   Look what a 50 plus point Vanek managed at the time...he also moved Bieksa, Burrows and Hansen.   But I do get what your saying.    Appears we are buyers so not this year (again). 

Cody Eakin just got a 4th, he has 6 points or something and makes 3.8 mil. There has always been interest in Sutter, there is interest in Stecher, Benn could be unloaded one way or another. All can be replaced internally, some already have. Timing is everything for GM's, some have it some don't.