The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(proposal) Hockey Trade

I think this is a pretty good trade, nice idea. The only thing I would say is that our team is full of wingers already, so with this deal it would make sense to move someone like Roussel. If we could make that work then this works out well. 

I have also been thinking about targeting Palat from the Lightning in the offseason. A lot of things would have to go right for us cap wise to even consider making that kind of move (Eriksson retiring, letting UFAs walk, moving contracts, etc) but I think he'd be a great fit in our top 6. He doesn't have too much term left as well. 

3 hours ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

To Van:

Mathieu Joseph RFA

To TB:

Troy Stecher RFA

We have good depth at D and TB is currently playing Both Cameron Gaunce and Luke Schenn.... they could use some cheap D Depth. We get a big bodied guy that would be a great replacement for Ferland.

The Canucks do not have good depth on defense.   Don’t kid yourself.   One injury to Edler, Tanev, or Hughes = a serious dent in our defense.   Myers is a borderline 4/5 guy, while the rest of our D men are 3rd pairing calibre.   

The Canucks need atleast one more top 4 quality guy (hopefully Tree comes back before the deadline).   If the Canucks are serious about making some noise in the playoffs, then I’d get another top 4 quality dman on top of Tryamkin (Stecher + 3rd for rental D).

10 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

The Canucks do not have good depth on defense.   Don’t kid yourself.   One injury to Edler, Tanev, or Hughes = a serious dent in our defense.   Myers is a borderline 4/5 guy, while the rest of our D men are 3rd pairing calibre.   

The Canucks need atleast one more top 4 quality guy (hopefully Tree comes back before the deadline).   If the Canucks are serious about making some noise in the playoffs, then I’d get another top 4 quality dman on top of Tryamkin (Stecher + 3rd for rental D).

Don't you think most teams would have a serious dent in their defense if they lose 1 of their top 3 guys?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

To Van:

Mathieu Joseph RFA

To TB:

Troy Stecher RFA

We have good depth at D and TB is currently playing Both Cameron Gaunce and Luke Schenn.... they could use some cheap D Depth. We get a big bodied guy that would be a great replacement for Ferland.

@Nicklas Bo Hunter No, no we do not have good D depth.

23 hours ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

To Van:

Mathieu Joseph RFA

To TB:

Troy Stecher RFA

During summer, sure! Until then, we need Stecher and the depth he provides for playoffs.

I think he will be moved, but not until summer, likely at the draft when we can leverage him for a pick or another prospect.

19 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

Don't you think most teams would have a serious dent in their defense if they lose 1 of their top 3 guys?

Yes, but not to the extent that the Canucks would in my opinion (comparing the Canucks to other elite teams in the NHL).   If we lose Edler, Tanev, or Hughes, this team sinks faster than Paris Hilton.

How about Stecher for Vatanen straight up.  They get a cheaper, younger guy under control as an RFA.  We get an older, but not too old, who is a better player for a playoff run.  Both smallish right shot dmen.  With Severson and Subban on the right side, they probably wouldn't re-sign Vatanen anyway.

Edler Vatanen

Hughes Tanev

Benn/Fantenberg Myers