The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Minnesota Wild at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 19, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

12 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

Don't know about that, in the 12 or 13 minutes of icetime they did their role just fine, their role is not to be scored on, that is their first priority.

Huh? That's not their role, that's the goalies job.  .

The other 5 players on the ice have a much broader roll, which includes:

Not getting scored on

Providing offence

Forechecking

Provided energy

Standing up for teammates

Penalty killing

Power play

Backchecking

You see where I'm going with this? 

So I ask again, what is going with Rousel and Virtanen these days? I watched the game and I was daffled by V's backhand drop passes, lack of back check, lack of forecheck.. I was actually yelling at the tv for the first time in a long time.

39 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I agree, I thought Jake played great when he was on the top line, he was producing and so was his line mates. I then thought it was the pressure to move Boes back up as why he was put back to the third line. Then injury struck Brock and Lui went back up and Jake remained on the 3rd line.

Its sad that they are treating Jake like that as I think he could be a great player for us and essential in a playoff run. Big body who can forecheck, skate and get the puck out of the corners for his linemates and can help out offensively. I guess that's not the direction the team wants to go in.

Ah they gotta keep his goals down so we can sign him cheap cant have him hittin 20

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Little late to the party on the PGT, but have to ask

What is going on with Virtanen and Roussel? They look so disinterested in not only playing for this team, but playing hockey in the NHL in general. For energy guys they sure know how to suck the life out of a line, and a building. I would not be sad to see either go in the next 4 days for any kind of physical improvement

I was actually just going to make a post about this.

I was at the game last night and the thing that stood out to me most was that Roussel just wasn't finishing his checks nor playing with any intensity. To me that's just so odd, because last year he'd be absolutely drilling guys into the boards. I'm not sure what to make of that... it's very perplexing and honestly, just a huge letdown all in all.

And Jake's had his good moments this year for sure (and good on him), but last night he was playing without a brain. He made a couple of bad turnovers and played like a scrub. You can argue all you want that it's not fair that Green took him off the top line but that's beside the point.

It was actually a great/exciting game to be at and I thought we were the better team, but we didn't get some of the bounces and calls that we needed, and all it took was a couple of shifts of falling asleep behind the wheel. That was the difference (other than the shootout (which is just unlucky)).

But something's gotta give with Roussel though. It's been depressing to watch.

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I agree, I thought Jake played great when he was on the top line, he was producing and so was his line mates. I then thought it was the pressure to move Boes back up as why he was put back to the third line. Then injury struck Brock and Lui went back up and Jake remained on the 3rd line.

Its sad that they are treating Jake like that as I think he could be a great player for us and essential in a playoff run. Big body who can forecheck, skate and get the puck out of the corners for his linemates and can help out offensively. I guess that's not the direction the team wants to go in.

Except he doesn't do those things. Not on the first line, and not on the third line. Yes JV strung together a solid 10 games, but the 40 before and the 10 after is where he is consistent. Perhaps.. and here's a shocker... Jake needs to earn his spot. If I can see his glaring lack of effort... Then Green definitely sees it. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, JayDangles said:

Except he doesn't do those things. Not on the first line, and not on the third line. Yes JV strung together a solid 10 games, but the 40 before and the 10 after is where he is consistent. Perhaps.. and here's a shocker... Jake needs to earn his spot. If I can see his glaring lack of effort... Then Green definitely sees it. 

Jake was horrible last night and still struggles with his consistency. No big contract-payday for you yet Jake. 

• Cheers 1

CDC.thumb.jpg.f3ce61f0366b90f932bdaa0266fcadd6.jpg

'Cause this is thriller, thriller night
And no one's gonna save you from the beast about to strike
You know it's thriller, thriller night
You're fighting for your life inside a killer thriller tonight, yeah

Long Live Lord Benning for blessing us with this man!

This is my most inspired photoshop work in a while. Boys played incredible overall against Minny. JT was stellar. QH43 is on another level too...

Edited by apollo
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, NeilColville said:

I’m saying get rid of the shootout in general. It’s painful to watch and does nothing for the game. 

in regular season games I don't mind, because of travel etc.

I wouldn't mind no OT straight to shoot out first goal wins

but never in the playoffs.

I still maintain my hate on for the loser point which most fans still like

I do not understand how fans cant take the game/league seriously when some games are worth more than others

I would be fine with OT/shoot out games being worth less, like 1point

enough of this stupid 'each team pockets a point' bs

get er done in reg time or battle for 1/2 points

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

If Brock or Leivo was healthy, they would have taken that spot that currently belongs to Loui besides Bo. 

Feel bad for Horvat. You have this really nice and awesome player the organization just acquired in Toffoli, only for him to be playing with Petey and Miller. 

I hope Bo's career isn't that like the Sedins in the sense that they've never really had that they never had that winger - but instead a rotating set of wingers all throughout. 

While Nazzy, Carter and Burr were good linemates for the Sedins, I agree with your post as he needs to be given Pearson and Toffoli when Petey already has Miller. Feel bad for Bo not getting the help he deserves. Can’t help by keeping Louie drag that line down. Hopefully McEwen is in and Louie is out and 2/3rds of the that 70s line is reunited with the captain. 

2 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

“I feel good, I’ve been practicing hard and I’m ready to go. I’m ready to play whenever called upon. Injuries are part of the game, but I want to be helping the team, not on my couch watching.” - Fantenberg

Oh this is good news..

I wonder.. perhaps a more viable option is to trade Benn before the deadline, and use Benn's money to resign Stecher.

While I know Benn was brought here as a stay at home Defensive guy, I have been underwhelmed, and have seen zero energy this season. Besides the beard I'm not impressed

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

I said this about Schaller earlier in the season and it might be true of Jake

Schaller got moved around the line up last year but seemed to settle in on Beagles wing this season, until he fell into a coma

maybe Jake needs stable line mates.

there is alway talk about guys who can play up and down the line up like it is a special gift

maybe Jake does not have that gift

also Jake has gone quiet since the team started getting tough on the opposition because Petey is getting run 

Jake did get into a fight, but his play has tailed since then

maybe he will always be a:wub: not a :angry:

I wonder if something is going on with Roussell mentally. Sometimes on the bench he looks like he’s in his own world and doesn’t look engaged ever anymore. 

Anyone else want to see MacEwan with Pettersson and Miller? I think he’d be a great fit with Petey. His forechecking and physical play would open up a lot of room and he can protect him. Also has enough skill to keep up with them. I think the cheap shots would drop quite a bit with Mac on that line. 

I’d like to see

Miller-Pettersson-MacEwan

Pearson-Horvat-Toffoli

Motte-Gaudette-Virtanen

Roussell-Beagle-Sutter

Would also prefer Bailey in over Roussell or Sutter but Green will never do that. His size and speed is what we need, he’s still young, hopefully they can turn him into a decent bottom 6 player.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

While Nazzy, Carter and Burr were good linemates for the Sedins, I agree with your post as he needs to be given Pearson and Toffoli when Petey already has Miller. Feel bad for Bo not getting the help he deserves. Can’t help by keeping Louie drag that line down. Hopefully McEwen is in and Louie is out and 2/3rds of the that 70s line is reunited with the captain. 

Loui was the best player on that line in my opinion.

54 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I was actually just going to make a post about this.

I was at the game last night and the thing that stood out to me most was that Roussel just wasn't finishing his checks nor playing with any intensity. To me that's just so odd, because last year he'd be absolutely drilling guys into the boards. I'm not sure what to make of that... it's very perplexing and honestly, just a huge letdown all in all.

And Jake's had his good moments this year for sure (and good on him), but last night he was playing without a brain. He made a couple of bad turnovers and played like a scrub. You can argue all you want that it's not fair that Green took him off the top line but that's beside the point.

It was actually a great/exciting game to be at and I thought we were the better team, but we didn't get some of the bounces and calls that we needed, and all it took was a couple of shifts of falling asleep behind the wheel. That was the difference (other than the shootout (which is just unlucky)).

But something's gotta give with Roussel though. It's been depressing to watch.

I think Roussell is about 2 steps away from becoming Ferland

He has had a tough career and the toughness has taken its toll

not everyone plays til they are 40 and not everyone plays til they are 30

Rooster looks worn out.

With Jake though I think Loui plays a role, as does seeing guys like Bailey and MacEwen getting limited chances, Jake probably realises he is closer to being those guys than he is ever to take Loui's or Brock's spot.

he was used as a pawn to get Brock going

I know guys are supposed to wait and be ready, but Jake has always shown immaturity,

and maybe he actually does read this board and sees comments like the above^^,  "need to keep his stats low for next contract" maybe he believes that, it makes more sense than gifting Loui 2nd line minutes.

my 2 main complaints about Green are that he is not very smart, and he does not inspire confidense.

I don't think Jake is very smart, so that point is moot, however, Jake does not display much confidense, and why would he?

9 minutes ago, Elias_Pettersson said:

I wonder if something is going on with Roussell mentally. Sometimes on the bench he looks like he’s in his own world and doesn’t look engaged ever anymore. 

Anyone else want to see MacEwan with Pettersson and Miller? I think he’d be a great fit with Petey. His forechecking and physical play would open up a lot of room and he can protect him. Also has enough skill to keep up with them. I think the cheap shots would drop quite a bit with Mac on that line. 

I’d like to see

Miller-Pettersson-MacEwan

Pearson-Horvat-Toffoli

Motte-Gaudette-Virtanen

Roussell-Beagle-Sutter

Would also prefer Bailey in over Roussell or Sutter but Green will never do that. His size and speed is what we need, he’s still young, hopefully they can turn him into a decent bottom 6 player.

For me, Roussel hasn't worked out to be the player they thought he would be njor the player they need him to be.  He's the most likely trade bait at the deadline, imo.

42 minutes ago, lmm said:

in regular season games I don't mind, because of travel etc.

I wouldn't mind no OT straight to shoot out first goal wins

but never in the playoffs.

I still maintain my hate on for the loser point which most fans still like

I do not understand how fans cant take the game/league seriously when some games are worth more than others

I would be fine with OT/shoot out games being worth less, like 1point

enough of this stupid 'each team pockets a point' bs

get er done in reg time or battle for 1/2 points

I agree about loser points, hate them, I wouldn’t mind each regulation win worth three point and OT win two points and one point to the loser, it would make teams play for the win near the end of the game, not for a tie.

As for shootouts, hate them, how long can a 3 on 3 OT really last?

7 minutes ago, lmm said:

I think Roussell is about 2 steps away from becoming Ferland

He has had a tough career and the toughness has taken its toll

not everyone plays til they are 40 and not everyone plays til they are 30

Rooster looks worn out.

With Jake though I think Loui plays a role, as does seeing guys like Bailey and MacEwen getting limited chances, Jake probably realises he is closer to being those guys than he is ever to take Loui's or Brock's spot.

he was used as a pawn to get Brock going

I know guys are supposed to wait and be ready, but Jake has always shown immaturity,

and maybe he actually does read this board and sees comments like the above^^,  "need to keep his stats low for next contract" maybe he believes that, it makes more sense than gifting Loui 2nd line minutes.

my 2 main complaints about Green are that he is not very smart, and he does not inspire confidense.

I don't think Jake is very smart, so that point is moot, however, Jake does not display much confidense, and why would he?

I highly doubt that!