The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Minnesota Wild at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 19, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Green makes player choices for lines.  We were winning with Jake on Petey’s wing.  Green changes that line and we start losing.  That’s on the coach, and not JB. 

TG wiped his ass with his left hand and we won 12 out of 14, then he switched hands and we win 2 out of 8 or something ha ha.   What the heck is he doing to our team anyways?  Supported the guy because we were born in the same town and went to the same school a few years apart.   Now I'm thinking he looks up high with his face in the camera a lot because he's got a weak chin and thats just embarrassing.   He's nothing like Babcock who's got the granite chin of coaches - should hire him right now.   Plus he speaks in tongues about himself and what his team did right or wrong each game.   Must have superpowers and a cape too.   Sarcasm.  Something I've learned with teenage daughters.   We lost the first two games of the season and the sky was falling.  We have recovered twice after some bad games and the sky didn't fall.  Got to say strike two for sure.  But let's give him one more strike before we give up on him.  If we did with Quin in 94 we wouldn't have had our best post-season ever.    Again with the chin stuff - it's funny and a bit endearing- wouldn't want to lose that pre-maturely.   

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

For me, Roussel hasn't worked out to be the player they thought he would be njor the player they need him to be.  He's the most likely trade bait at the deadline, imo.

Would gladly move him to Horvats line and Eriksson to the 3rd 

He was a pleasant surprise last year when playing with higher skilled players. His play making is underrated and he has not really gelled with Gaudette.

I think this is in part to his Injury that may be holding him back somewhat. Hopefully that does a 100% recovery if it is an issue for him now.

9 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I highly doubt that!

I don't

I don't think every player reads this board, but it would not surprize me if Jake did.

see my earlier comment about immaturity

see jake fight after this board blows up over "no push back"

I guess some one could ask him, haha

1 hour ago, JayDangles said:

Except he doesn't do those things. Not on the first line, and not on the third line. Yes JV strung together a solid 10 games, but the 40 before and the 10 after is where he is consistent. Perhaps.. and here's a shocker... Jake needs to earn his spot. If I can see his glaring lack of effort... Then Green definitely sees it. 

I agree with you partially but let me ask you this. Why did he play a "solid 10 games"? Maybe because he was being deployed correctly? He was producing at nearly a point a game is that not good enough and a reason to demote him? He has been in TG's doghouse for which seems like years now and he gets a sniff and then back into the doghouse he goes. I would be playing uninspired hockey too if I was being treated like that over and over again.

I think he proved himself and he was rewarded with a "F.U." and then slapped in the face with a "LE is going to take your place so there". Most of CDC wants LE back in the press box back where he belongs but no, lets put him in Jakes spot. Does he deserve to be on the #1 PP? No lets throw Sutter in there instead. Wow.

I guess Jake hits and checks too much to be in the top six and TG would rather have guys there who can count how many hits they have had lately on one hand.

Can't wait for the playoffs.:lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

44 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I agree with you partially but let me ask you this. Why did he play a "solid 10 games"? Maybe because he was being deployed correctly? He was producing at nearly a point a game is that not good enough and a reason to demote him? He has been in TG's doghouse for which seems like years now and he gets a sniff and then back into the doghouse he goes. I would be playing uninspired hockey too if I was being treated like that over and over again.

I think he proved himself and he was rewarded with a "F.U." and then slapped in the face with a "LE is going to take your place so there". Most of CDC wants LE back in the press box back where he belongs but no, lets put him in Jakes spot. Does he deserve to be on the #1 PP? No lets throw Sutter in there instead. Wow.

I guess Jake hits and checks too much to be in the top six and TG would rather have guys there who can count how many hits they have had lately on one hand.

Can't wait for the playoffs.:lol:

Ok, first off, this is laughable at best, unless you're referring to 18 year old Jake..  because 23 year old Jake definitely does not hit or check too much, or at all. He averages 1.5 hits per game. Comparison, Motte averages 3.2 hits per game. (side note just saw Ferland was averaging almost 4 hits per game in his 14 games!)

So lets explore the rest a bit more. Why was he doing so well? You say he was deployed correctly.. I say he was riding EP and Millers coat tails a bit. similar to BB this season. not saying JV or BB are bad, but they were benefitting a bit from their line mates.

You then say JV was demoted, you're saying it shouldn't have happened because he was producing. maybe you're right. (FYI LE didn't take his place)

BUT, all that said, if JV's response is to go back to the 3rd line, collect $1.3m, and sulk and play like he is currently playing then sorry, JV doesn't belong on the top line. 

FYI I think Jake had a string of 3 or 4 bad games before he was demoted. 

I'm just saying, at some point, Jake is where Jake is because of Jake. Not Travis Green. And it will be up to Jake to change that, or JB at the deadline :bigblush:

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, lmm said:

I don't

I don't think every player reads this board, but it would not surprize me if Jake did.

see my earlier comment about immaturity

see jake fight after this board blows up over "no push back"

I guess some one could ask him, haha

Jake, if you're reading this... DO SOMETHING! But don't wait until less than 5 minutes remaining. 

I have lost faith.. Prove me wrong!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

TG wiped his ass with his left hand and we won 12 out of 14, then he switched hands and we win 2 out of 8 or something ha ha.   What the heck is he doing to our team anyways?  Supported the guy because we were born in the same town and went to the same school a few years apart.   Now I'm thinking he looks up high with his face in the camera a lot because he's got a weak chin and thats just embarrassing.   He's nothing like Babcock who's got the granite chin of coaches - should hire him right now.   Plus he speaks in tongues about himself and what his team did right or wrong each game.   Must have superpowers and a cape too.   Sarcasm.  Something I've learned with teenage daughters.   We lost the first two games of the season and the sky was falling.  We have recovered twice after some bad games and the sky didn't fall.  Got to say strike two for sure.  But let's give him one more strike before we give up on him.  If we did with Quin in 94 we wouldn't have had our best post-season ever.    Again with the chin stuff - it's funny and a bit endearing- wouldn't want to lose that pre-maturely.   

I dunno if the chin thing holds weight (pun intended), Boudreau, Bowman, Hitchock, Trotz….

I'll give you Quenneville though

12 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Ok, first off, this is laughable at best, unless you're referring to 18 year old Jake..  because 23 year old Jake definitely does not hit or check too much, or at all. He averages 1.5 hits per game. Comparison, Motte averages 3.2 hits per game. (side note just saw Ferland was averaging almost 4 hits per game in his 14 games!)

So lets explore the rest a bit more. Why was he doing so well? You say he was deployed correctly.. I say he was riding EP and Millers coat tails a bit. similar to BB this season. not saying JV or BB are bad, but they were benefitting a bit from their line mates.

You then say JV was demoted, you're saying it shouldn't have happened because he was producing. maybe you're right. (FYI LE didn't take his place)

BUT, all that said, if JV's response is to go back to the 3rd line, collect $1.3m, and sulk and play like he is currently playing then sorry, JV doesn't belong on the top line. 

FYI I think Jake had a string of 3 or 4 bad games before he was demoted. 

I'm just saying, at some point, Jake is where Jake is because of Jake. Not Travis Green. And it will be up to Jake to change that, or JB at the deadline :bigblush:

Laughable at best? He is 3rd in the hits department(Edler has 93 and Miller 100) on a team that generally doesn't hit at all. Everyone knows that. He has 89 hits and LE has 7. Jake is effective because he is smart enough to feed the puck to the guys who know how to put the puck in the net. He is one of the stronger players along the boards and he can get into the corner and come out with the puck. He kept the puck in the O zone where it needs to be when Petey and Miller are on the ice. What more could you ask for?

People seem to forget he is not a finished product and he has shown improvements this year. He has rarely been given the opportunity to play offensively and I can only see him get better. I am thinking he is really going to shine in the playoffs.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, reyezone said:

Petey took a ton of abuse from Suter and Foligno. He got clipped by Dumba, cross checked in the face while driving the net, high sticked as well- all of which not called. He is likely banged up and frustrated. 

Going to happen to him for the rest of this career. Needs to play with more fire, once he gets frustrated, he’s done.

Gotta laugh at all the "d-corps" hot takes. JB signed the top D-man UFA (Myers), brought in 2 solid depth D-men (Benn, Fantenberg) and a Calder trophy contending D-man(Hughes) to add to 2 solid veteran D-men (Edler, Tanev) and a D-man (Stecher) that most Canuck fans says has the "most heart/unsung hero" on the team. What more did/do you expect JB to do in terms of D? What you see is what you get for the Canucks D this season.Maybe a couple of farm hands (OJ, Rafferty) crack the lineup next season but don't expect those 2 to come in like gang busters and change the whole look of the D. WYSIWYG.

23 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

I feel like Gaudette's line is having a tough time generating chances, not off the rush.  Im not slagging on 88, but its an area of concern if the team wants to be as competitive as possible.  How often do we see him set up Roos or Virtanen for scoring chances?

He's just not a consistent playmaker at all. He has 17A in 50 games this year. 6 of those assists came in 3 games which means 11a in the other 47 games. 2a games are great to pad your stats but when you only have 11a in the other 47 games then something is missing.

4 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

He's just not a consistent playmaker at all. He has 17A in 50 games this year. 6 of those assists came in 3 games which means 11a in the other 47 games. 2a games are great to pad your stats but when you only have 11a in the other 47 games then something is missing.

Ill give him the benefit of the doubt as a young player.  Similarly, Virtanen had problems controlling the puck/making plays off the wall earlier in his career, but has improved.  Hopefully improves with more time in the league, but as of right now, that line might need to simply their game in the offensive zone and try to out work their opponents/crash the net.

57 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

Gotta laugh at all the "d-corps" hot takes. JB signed the top D-man UFA (Myers), brought in 2 solid depth D-men (Benn, Fantenberg) and a Calder trophy contending D-man(Hughes) to add to 2 solid veteran D-men (Edler, Tanev) and a D-man (Stecher) that most Canuck fans says has the "most heart/unsung hero" on the team. What more did/do you expect JB to do in terms of D? What you see is what you get for the Canucks D this season.Maybe a couple of farm hands (OJ, Rafferty) crack the lineup next season but don't expect those 2 to come in like gang busters and change the whole look of the D. WYSIWYG.

Who are you talking to?

And wtf does “WYSIWYG” translate to?