The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Toffoli | #73 | RW/LW

-AJ-

10 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Nothing to complain about so far. He was a positive tonight.

yeah, seemed to have played a pretty good game on the top line with Miller and Pettersson. 

wasn't expecting good chemistry right off the bat, since Toffoli just got here. 

but i think for Boston, he will perform even better because they'll have the next 48 hours to practice and communicate and get more comfortable on the ice together. 

• Like 1

Got to give Toffoli a bit of time to get to know his new team mates, new coaches, new systems, new everything. He's never been traded, so this is all new for him. I thought he played pretty well for his first game. He seems like a smart player, tries to get into the right spot for shots, makes good passes. He was also playing with some grit last night, kept me thinking, he's still playing like a King. Hoping he continues this way of playing and it rubs off on guys like Bo and Jake. Welcome to the team Tyler, hopefully we can keep you.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Welcome to the Canucks Tyler!

Take the bull by the horns and make this team make the playoffs. This team with your contribution when in the playoffs could do very well....just gotta get in!

A simple puck possession strategy with the team's talent is what is needed to excel. 

setup the attack by setting up the attack triangle, which starts in the neutral zone by getting the puck wide with speed entering the ozone with one guy trailing and the other driving the net to form a triangle...many plays can occur if the attack triangle is set up...no more than 3 passes and a shot on net and crashing the net for the rebound...do this every time when entering the zone if the other team gives you the blue line, then move the puck with speed and quick passing with a good shot on net....this team doesn't do this enough....this is what I mean by keeping it simple. If the play isn't there, then dump and chase...

Someone I work with mentioned he heard that there's a possibility that Toffoli wants to sign with a NY team this off season, and he's looking for a raise.

So, the Kings will have some good prospects for when they rebuild - Vilardi, Madden, Turcotte, Fagemo, Bjornfot, Kaliyev, Kupari, Thomas...

Better prospects than we have IMO, Canucks are going to have their hands full in about 5 years.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Someone I work with mentioned he heard that there's a possibility that Toffoli wants to sign with a NY team this off season, and he's looking for a raise.

So, the Kings will have some good prospects for when they rebuild - Vilardi, Madden, Turcotte, Fagemo, Bjornfot, Kaliyev, Kupari, Thomas...

Better prospects than we have IMO, Canucks are going to have their hands full in about 5 years.

I am very puzzled by your comment regarding L.A. prospects. Do they have a franchise goalie? a franchise centre? how about a franchise D?

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Toffoli is a lot quicker on his feet than Pearson, which I was worried about. Pearson is not quick, which makes him less effective in the D zone and on the forecheck. Toffoli is also a lot more shifty. He is a less talented version of J.T. Miller. I don't expect Toffoli to resign with Vancouver due to the cap situation. 

1 minute ago, Maddogy said:

I am very puzzled by your comment regarding L.A. prospects. Do they have a franchise goalie? a franchise centre? how about a franchise D?

They're just starting their rebuild, and accumulating picks. I'm sure they can manage to get a goalie and some D over the next couple of years. I can actually see them drafting the Russian goalie (Askarov), and if so, oh boy.

I'm now wondering if trading for Toffoli was the best move, we kind of, in some small way, are helping LA with their rebuild. A Pacific rival!

And in return we get a player of theirs for around 25 games. Hmm. Big possibility we lose Toffoli in the off season, and I think Benning may have reacted in haste when Boeser went down for the season. Benning is trying to save his job by doing whatever he has to to get the Canucks in the playoffs. Maybe I just don't have a read on Toffoli yet, not sure where his loyalty lies, if he has any loyalty, or if he likes it here so far, if he wants to stay after this season.     

23 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Benning is trying to save his job by doing whatever he has to to get the Canucks in the playoffs. 

The team needs scoring help to get into the playoffs- TT does that.  They have the prospect depth to make the move.  I like the boldness of it.  If they get in and BB comes back....

Edited by SILLY GOOSE
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

The team needs scoring help to get into the playoffs- TT does that.  They have the prospect depth to make the move.  I like the boldness of it.  If they get in and BB comes back....

It is bold, and the hockey panel guys seem to like the trade. I guess they see it as: can you put a cost on getting Pettersson and Hughes into some playoff experience? Maybe this is all it is, do what needs to be done to get the Canucks into the playoffs, and then it's anybody's game. But then what?

The 2020 Draft the Canucks won't have many, if any, impactful picks (just Rounds 3 and on). Toffoli will probably walk. And if Benning manages to re-sign Leivo, Virtanen, Motte, Gaudette, MacEwen, Stecher, Fantenberg, Tanev and Markstrom  - they'll have the same team as before trading to get Toffoli. lol

Which prospects take the big step next season? Will Hoglander make the team? I have my doubts, and think he'll start his career in Utica. He'll eventually get here though, too skilled not to. Does Juolevi make the team finally? Not sure, he is a man of mystery. Will Kole Lind be the new, bright and shiny toy to get the fans excited about? Possibly, but he'll be relegated to the 4th line, probably.

The Canucks have 2 years to get into the playoffs, why are they suddenly so impatient?