The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Toffoli | #73 | RW/LW

-AJ-

12 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Does this still qualify if we let him go to FA and he chooses to sign back with us? 
Since we have his contract rights until whenever July 1st (regular contract end date/ start of FA) would've been I feel like we shouldn't be penalized if he chooses to come back?  Or is it just cut-and-dry if he signs here then it goes to LA?   

I believe if the Canucks sign him on or after July 1st (or which ever day free agent frenzy is), the contract would be considered a UFA signing and not any sort of contract extension. If that's the case, the 4th round pick won't go back the other way.

However, if the Canucks sign him prior to July 1st (or which ever day free agent frenzy is), it is consider a contract extension and they will have to give up a 4th round pick.

July 1st is the day that a player is UFA, and he is free to choose any team he choose to sign with. Any contract sign on July 1st or onward is consider a UFA signing, and the maximum term you can give to a UFA is 7 years. If the team owns the rights of a player prior to July 1st, they can sign him before July 1st, and give him a contract with maximum term of 8 years.

I doubt the Canucks want to sign Toffoli for anything more than 6 years, so I can see the Canucks basically have the contract negotiated, ready to go, but won't put his pen to paper until July 1st. That would be the smartest way to do things when it comes to asset management, but you also pissed off the Kings GM if you do that.

17 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

I believe if the Canucks sign him on or after July 1st (or which ever day free agent frenzy is), the contract would be considered a UFA signing and not any sort of contract extension. If that's the case, the 4th round pick won't go back the other way.

I doubt the Canucks want to sign Toffoli for anything more than 6 years, so I can see the Canucks basically have the contract negotiated, ready to go, but won't put his pen to paper until July 1st. That would be the smartest way to do things when it comes to asset management, but you also pissed off the Kings GM if you do that.

I sure hope we approach it this way.  LA be damned, we made a fair trade with them and if Toffy (like Marky) want to be here, who's to say that we can't?  It's not like we made an offer sheet for one of their RFA's to handicap them financially.

Give them that assurance, let him "walk".  Even if we let him reach FA, with the negotiations which I'm sure would've been ongoing we could already have something ironed out much like there would be for all those free agent frenzy signings.  He, Pete and Miller have the makings of an all-round 1st unit and if he likes to play with those two guys as he has stated, I feel confident we can bring him back.   

It's not that simple. There's a period (1 or 2 weeks, maybe longer) before July 1st where other GMs around the league are (unofficially I believe) allowed to start talking to players that are slated to hit FA. So he could potentially have other offers on the table that would drive his price tag up. I wouldn't wait until FA to put pen to paper as this plan has the potential to fall apart and introduce chaos. If the plan is to sign him, then sign him up asap - 4th round pick be damned, it's not worth the risk. I'm sure there will be pieces dealt this offseason that should get us some draft picks back.

Edited by Vanuckles
  • Thanks 3
  • Cheers 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/12/2020 at 4:18 PM, Kanukfanatic said:

Man I sure hope JB is able to keep Toffoli. This will be the best top 6 we have had in forever. Even when we had the Sedins in 2011 we always needed another legit top 6 that we were never really able to get.

Just read Canucks Mailbag on Sportsnet.ca. 

Ian MacIntyre states that, he believes pre-pandemic, Toffoli could've been looking at a 5 mil. per. contract. 

If that's anywhere near accurate, I sign him up right now, even with the cap remaining static.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Wanna ride shotgun with Elias Pettersson for 4-5 years Toffy? Just sign on the dotted line.

I doubt he'd be set up with a better centreman on any other team.

He's not a 1st liner for anybody else, really. But he fits very well (from what we've seen) with what Petey and JT bring.

• Cheers 1

Far better players than TT (Crosby/McJesus) have taken discounts to remain with teams they knew would need cap considerations to build/keep a competitive team.  I know the career earnings of guys like Crosby/McJesus are not directly comparable to guys like TT, but I've always believed that if TT wants to stay with this club and maybe experience something like he did in LA - he will need to be flexible on his next deal.  If not, I'm 100% sure some team out there will pay him what he wants as he's a proven performer with a lot of experience.   

TT was here long enough to get an understanding of what has been built here so far and what this core could be capable of - it's clear JB wants him to re-up so it's up to TT to decide what direction he wants to go with the next step of his career. 

7 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

Ian MacIntyre states that, he believes pre-pandemic, Toffoli could've been looking at a 5 mil. per. contract. 

If that's anywhere near accurate, I sign him up right now, even with the cap remaining static.

I'm not sure what people were expecting? He had a good few weeks here for sure but you don't pay a guy based on a few weeks. You pay him for being the complimentary, 2nd line, 2 way winger he's historically been through his career. That fell in the +/- $4.5-$5.5m territory before covid.

This is why I don't get the 'we can't afford our UFA's :frantic:' panic.

• Cheers 2

12 hours ago, nergish said:

Wanna ride shotgun with Elias Pettersson for 4-5 years Toffy? Just sign on the dotted line.

He's not a 1st liner for anybody else, really. But he fits very well (from what we've seen) with what Petey and JT bring.

And this could be why, at least in part, that the Canucks went against everyone's expectations and didn't reunite Toffoli with Pearson.  That would have made Horvat his centre and probably made him much less excited about his future if he did resign with this team.

7 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

And this could be why, at least in part, that the Canucks went against everyone's expectations and didn't reunite Toffoli with Pearson.  That would have made Horvat his centre and probably made him much less excited about his future if he did resign with this team.

Agreed.

He may very well settle into that second-line role (I really like the optics of that), but letting him sit head of the table with Petey and JT was a good morale move.

If Toffoli can find another gear, maybe he can be a legitimate first-line player? He's an even better goalscorer than I thought, from what I've seen of him in Canucks colours.

It kinda comes down to Brock Boeser. If he's been rested and that wrist is ready to grip-n-rip, hard to say what Green ends up doing. 

I like the options though.

I guess my point is more... look at this talented young team and tell me you don't want to be a part of it.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/16/2020 at 11:09 AM, komodo0921 said:

That's more than reasonable and in all honesty, not very surprising. We should re-sign this guy while he's still ours.

• Cheers 1

On April 24, 2020 at 10:39 AM, ruilin96 said:

However, if the Canucks sign him prior to July 1st (or which ever day free agent frenzy is), it is consider a contract extension and they will have to give up a 4th round pick.

July 1st is the day that a player is UFA, and he is free to choose any team he choose to sign with. Any contract sign on July 1st or onward is consider a UFA signing, and the maximum term you can give to a UFA is 7 years. If the team owns the rights of a player prior to July 1st, they can sign him before July 1st, and give him a contract with maximum term of 8 years.

So Taffoli is 28 years old, plays a solid 200 foot game....Playing with Petey Taffoli will score 28-35 G -- 60--67 points..

So max deal 4 years X 4.8 million so Taffoli will be 32 yrs old when contracts up...

Then we trade Boeser or Virtanen for that #2 D man like Ristolainen 25, 6'4 plays 25 mins per game..So exciting to get D man like this..

No sure if Rathbone will sign in Vancouver? Rumours of course say he wants to play closer to home???

Virtanen and Rathbone -- Risto ?   I would trade Boeser for Risto ---- Buffalo need a top winger for Eichel ..

Hughes 20 -- Risto 6'4 - 25 --Top pairing play 25 mins per game.

Myers 6'7 -30  --- Edler 6'3 - 34 --- Edler mins must go down to prevent injuries

Stetcher 25 -- Rafferty 6'2 -  25

Benn 33 - good depth guy only 1 yr left as 7th D man

Juolevi  6'3 , 21 -- Briesbois 6'3, 22 -- Both are call ups for sure...

Tanev - 31 December, has had serious injuries over the years and body has had hard year with his style-- Time to move on..Good fit is Pitts play with his brother...

Toffoli will be a difference maker for the play-in round and the playoffs. He is the quality player that we need in the playoffs...both Miller and Toffoli will make it happen....just need Myers and Edler to play better in order to go on a playoff run. Myers and Edler need to be difference makers along with Toffoli and Miller for this team to succeed. These guys need to lead the way for the others to follow....there can be no passengers.

• Cheers 1

On 6/16/2020 at 11:45 AM, nergish said:

well we could have said the same thing about anson carter (actually i think management did)

and then years later offering a contract value lesser then the huge expectations of that winger

led to suggestions of racism (ok, not until race protests were well underway)

granted tt is white .. so he will have a harder time making this an issue (well aren't we all 1 or 2% black?)

but that is what i recall about the last short term 1st line winger

who saw his production explode on our first line

:bigblush:

(see the emoticon, do not take this post too seriously, please)

On 6/16/2020 at 12:49 PM, Maddogy said:

Most likely T.T. will take a one year $5 million contract in hope of achieving a point-per-game season to jack up his market value. 

Very few UFAs ever go for a 1 year deal so I doubt it is most likely he will.

However, Covid may have thrown a huge curve ball for players and teams. I still doubt TT would take a 1 year deal but who knows.  I just hope JB can keep him.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it’s prudent to hold off on signing him.  He’s posted 10 games as a Canuck and looked very good.  Hopefully he can carry on with that through the play-in/playoff games.  

For the most part through his career he’s been a 40/45 point guy. Assuming he’s much more than that based on the success he had over a 10 game stretch is risky.  He wouldn’t be the first player to come to a new team with a hot hand.  Look what Neal did in his first dozen or so games with the Oilers.  

Benning is smart to wait and see what Toffoli actually adds to the lineup before committing cap and term to him. 

Edited by qwijibo