The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Toffoli | #73 | RW/LW

-AJ-

14 hours ago, sassbs said:

I wonder if toffoli will be more than happy to take a pay cut and remain a Canuck.  Living in a beautiful city + weather, having one of those dynamic up and coming teams in the nhl, plus even if he plays on the second line he will be with horvat.  If not he will be with petey.  2 of the most exciting centres to play with.    
this team has so much potential, I hope Tyler sees all this and decides to stay!!

I don't feel Toffoli produced enough to have earned his last deal, let alone put him in line for a significant pay raise.  4.6 on a winger who put up 47, 34 and 44 points over isn't good enough to warrant  a long term high dollar deal.  I could see him sign on for a 2 yr 4.5 to 5 deal.  2 years of solid production with EP would line him up for a bigger deal once the cap freeze is over.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am starting to sour on the idea of Toffoli.  It has nothing to do with his play, but more about league economics.

There are a lot of teams who will be trying to shed salary.  That will include good players.  Wingers will be way more expendable than defence or centres.

We don’t need to get into a bidding war for Toffoli and get locked into significant term when you can get a relatively comparable cap casualty player for less term.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

I am starting to sour on the idea of Toffoli.  It has nothing to do with his play, but more about league economics.

There are a lot of teams who will be trying to shed salary.  That will include good players.  Wingers will be way more expendable than defence or centres.

We don’t need to get into a bidding war for Toffoli and get locked into significant term when you can get a relatively comparable cap casualty player for less term.

Definitely agree.

One guy I would target is Killorn. Tampa are in cap hell next season, and he’s the only veteran without a full NTC. Playoff warrior, and very manageable 3 x 4.45M left on his contract.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, D-Money said:

Definitely agree.

One guy I would target is Killorn. Tampa are in cap hell next season, and he’s the only veteran without a full NTC. Playoff warrior, and very manageable 3 x 4.45M left on his contract.

He is exactly who I was thinking of, though I expect there are more players in that situation that I don’t know of.

8 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Definitely agree.

6 minutes ago, Provost said:

He is exactly who I was thinking of, though I expect there are more players in that situation that I don’t know of.

Why not? Our recent trade with Tampa worked out reasonably well :)

14 minutes ago, Provost said:

Andreas Johnsson is interesting. There’s probably a number of them, but too busy to deep dive now.

For real cheap... I could also see Washington pretty much giving away Panik and/or Hagelin... perhaps even paying a team to take one.

Edited by D-Money
  • Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Definitely agree.

I think Killorn would be a great addition - I see Tampa first asking Tyler Johnson to waive his NTC though. He's barely playing top-9 minutes even with Stammer out and has a 5M cap hit. But if he wouldn't waive a move for Killorn would be solid. Saying that, I think with Miller + Pearson on the LW side, it might be better to pursue a cap casualty who has the ability to play RW.

Another possible cap casualty is Bozak. He can play RW or C, which might be good in terms of having pathways of success for younger players to take up top-9 spots. Dhaliwal tweeted last time Bozak was a FA that Benning was interested in him. He only has 1 year left on his contract so he wouldn't tie up the Canucks when they try to sign Petey & Hughes.

Also hoping Benning tries to buy low for Mikael Granlund - I think he's the ideal offensive creating RWer with very very strong 2-way capabilities that would fit perfectly with Horvat. He's coming off a bad season (w/ a strong finish). He could also give life to the 2nd PP unit. Killorn - Horvat - Granlund would be also be dreamy :wub:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, gurn said:

Why not? Our recent trade with Tampa worked out reasonably well :)

Be sure not to overpay like we did for Miller.

Some posters suggested we could have gotten Miller for a 5th round draft pick.

:bigblush:

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, Canuckfan_Brett said:

#1 money to keep him, 5 millskies is too much (given our cap challenges) #2 Speed, with or without a foot injury, he's too slow #3 Grit, he has none.

To replace someone you have to have equal or better value and we do not have anyone that can take his role. He pushed hard and according to Benning played injured. 

Good video, sounds like Toffoli loves it in VAN and wants to stay, and I'm sure Pearson would love that too. Toffoli made $4.6/an, and I figure he will want at least $5 with some term. As much as he loves it here, he still wants to be paid and mentioned having that security. So curious what Benning is going to do, and there is a lot that needs to be done.