The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Toffoli | #73 | RW/LW

-AJ-

Anaheim and San Jose have no cap space for Toffoli.  LA has room and could take him back but they are rebuilding so I doubt they would sign him long term.  If nobody offers him a 4-5 year deal then I think he goes back to LA on a short term 1-2 year deal.  Similar to Hall in taking a short term deal whereby they may get more money in a year or two when the NHL is in better shape financially.  I mean how many long term deals have we seen this free agency?  Not many by my count.

4 minutes ago, Shirotashi said:

Im lost on the whole TT thing could someone fill me in? First, could he still sign with the Canucks or is it

that he has moved on or has the team decided not to offer him anything so hes moving on by default?

He could still sign with the Canucks. It's just that the other 30 teams can also make offers now that he's hit free agency.

That said, I don't see Toffoli signing anywhere except in California, Vancouver, (or just because it'd be funny, Calgary). His wife works for one of the baseball teams in Cali. He's best friends with Pearson. 

Anaheim's on the decline, SJ's on the decline, LA is already in their rebuild, we're set for a step back year before our window begins to open. I think our team looks the most appealing from a winning perspective going forward but I wouldn't want TT for anything longer than 3-4 years max.

• Thanks 1

Honestly, can't blame Benning for this one.

Pearson/Toffoli are good buddies, but Pearson is PROBABLY not going to be extended. What's the point of keeping a 30+ year old Toffoli? All of y'all hate 30+ year old players, and then you whine about not signing one.

Toffoli is a nice piece, but if we want someone like him, there's always guys like that available to trade later. We do have some really nice offensive prospects coming up.

Three things to consider:

1) Flat salary cap

2) Expansion draft

3) Offer sheet risks

The Canucks are actually going to be one of the most well protected teams against all three factors. This isn't a spin. This is reality.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

A portion of Fans will never be happy with what happens and they are revisionist historians

for ex. None of you remember that We were down Boeser and we were in the fight for the playoffs that’s why Benning went out and got toffoli that move gave us enough to stay in the fight and make it to playoffs where we played 3 rounds. 

appraently success isn’t based on performance of the team but rather based on players contracts. 

• Cheers 1

• 7 months later...

Toffoli on his time in Vancouver:

From the second I got on the ice there, I just loved it. I was on a line with Petey and Millsy and we had incredible chemistry right from the get go. I just had a different feeling coming to the rink each day. I was rejuvenated. Obviously everything got flipped upside down when the season shut down due to the pandemic, but I felt a real connection to the city. Cat and I both did.

I got hurt in the bubble and the series against Vegas didn’t quite go our way last summer, but it seemed like the start of something special out there. And I just felt like I really fit in with that group off the ice. Everything was easy.

That’s why I wanted to come back to Vancouver. I could have seen myself finishing out my career there. But hockey is a business, I understand that. And at the end of the day, there was no offer from the Canucks’ end, so we had to go another direction. It was disappointing, but I knew that there was going to be a team out there that wanted me and saw me for the player I know I am.

• Thanks 2

Ya, that article from Toffoli is another bad look on Benning.

To not even offer Toffoli a contract after giving up significant assets to get him... and when it turned out to be a great fit

There is really no excuse for not at least putting an offer out there BEFORE deciding to qualify Virtanen.

At Toffoli’ age, the right fit and some term likely makes up for extra dollars he could potentially get in free agency.  Why not throw out a $4 million x 4 year offer out to him?   You spend those dollars on bottom of the lineup veteran pro’s to help guide the kids... you can’t spend it on a top line winger who had a Stanley Cup ring?

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, mll said:

Toffoli on his time in Vancouver:

From the second I got on the ice there, I just loved it. I was on a line with Petey and Millsy and we had incredible chemistry right from the get go. I just had a different feeling coming to the rink each day. I was rejuvenated. Obviously everything got flipped upside down when the season shut down due to the pandemic, but I felt a real connection to the city. Cat and I both did.

I got hurt in the bubble and the series against Vegas didn’t quite go our way last summer, but it seemed like the start of something special out there. And I just felt like I really fit in with that group off the ice. Everything was easy.

That’s why I wanted to come back to Vancouver. I could have seen myself finishing out my career there. But hockey is a business, I understand that. And at the end of the day, there was no offer from the Canucks’ end, so we had to go another direction. It was disappointing, but I knew that there was going to be a team out there that wanted me and saw me for the player I know I am.

Man this makes me mad, it's the only thing i wanted and expected them to do in the off season, especially because they gave up Madden for him. Really makes me question my loyalty to this management and ownership. :mad:

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Bure2Win said:

Man this makes me mad, it's the only thing i wanted and expected them to do in the off season, especially because they gave up Madden for him. Really makes me question my loyalty to this management and ownership. :mad:

And then went ahead and signed Joke Virtanen. I've been very pro Benning, but that one is inexcusable imo.

9 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

And then went ahead and signed Joke Virtanen. I've been very pro Benning, but that one is inexcusable imo.

Yeah me too - I'm still waiting for the grand explanation for that one. Almost as if he couldn't accept Virtanen was a big mistake and it might just send him out the door as a result. I would have loved to have TT back, and his contract would have been very reasonable and controlled.

• Cheers 1

It is clear that during the heat of the battle Benning lost his way.

He never offered Toffoli a contract?

C'mon that is just gross incompetence by a GM.  This is a cup winner who wanted to be here, who auditioned and was a great fit so you knew what you had.  He was willing to sign for a reasonable price and you don't even make him an offer?

This after losing Markstrom and Tanev to free agency.  Did JB not see the negative impact losing all of them was going to be on the team left behind?

Toffoli with us instead of Montreal probably turns a couple of those early games with Montreal from losses to wins and puts us right in the race for a playoff position instead of where we are.

After the bubble success and knowing you were going with Demko so Marky was leaving, how is it possible that you don't understand the importance to your group of keeping  Tanev and Toffoli? You lowball Tanev who walks and you never even make a pitch to keep Toffoli. Unbelievable!

2 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

C'mon that is just gross incompetence by a GM.  This is a cup winner who wanted to be here, who auditioned and was a great fit so you knew what you had.  He was willing to sign for a reasonable price and you don't even make him an offer?

Ironically, this all fits to describe Pearson too and everyone hated that Benning re-signed him.

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

This after losing Markstrom and Tanev to free agency.  Did JB not see the negative impact losing all of them was going to be on the team left behind?

Toffoli with us instead of Montreal probably turns a couple of those early games with Montreal from losses to wins and puts us right in the race for a playoff position instead of where we are.

After the bubble success and knowing you were going with Demko so Marky was leaving, how is it possible that you don't understand the importance to your group of keeping  Tanev and Toffoli? You lowball Tanev who walks and you never even make a pitch to keep Toffoli. Unbelievable!

No dobut Benning dropped the ball on this one.

Toffoli eases losing Petey to injury in that top 6.

Hoglander-Miller-Toffoli

Pearson-Horvat-Boeser

is still a decent top 6.

But given EP's injury and other injuries to key bottom 6 players (Motte, Sutter, Beagle), I'm not sure if we make the playoffs regardless.

Oh well, we will get a high draft pick. Let's hope we win the lottery this time and draft either Power or Clarke.