The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Toffoli | #73 | RW/LW

Toffoli, Price and the rest of the Habs are playing like a playoff team.  That little water bugs -Caufield and Gallagher are doing their thing.

Three huge Defenseman.  Two young Petty type centremen. Power forwards including the revived Perry, Stall and Ameria. 

They have a good chance in the next round.

It's important to move on and focus on the future.  But damn.  JB not even offering Toffoli a contract is a massive blunder.  What were you thinking?

IMO the worst move of JB's career.  Even worse than signing LE - got a few ok years out of that debacle at least.

But how do you not see what a great player you are ignoring ...  and to sign Virtanen instead?  Oh boy. JB was lucky to survive a blunder of this massive scale.

Ok that's it. time to move on. GCG.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
14 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

The stupidest move Benning will probably ever make. I said it then and that sentiment holds true to this very moment. 

It made me nearly sick to my stomach seeing Toffoli score the OT winner. 

I can't lie...was an ardent JB supporter until he decided to keep the human dumpster fire otherwise known as Jake Virtanen ahead of Tyler Toffoli, all the while  extolling the virtues of character that he wants for the Canucks.  At this point, I'd take Tony DeAngelo ahead of the embarrassment of a hockey player that Virtanen has become.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

Toffoli, Price and the rest of the Habs are playing like a playoff team.  That little water bugs -Caufield and Gallagher are doing their thing.

Three huge Defenseman.  Two young Petty type centremen. Power forwards including the revived Perry, Stall and Ameria

They have a good chance in the next round.

Don Cherry is in the house^^^^^^^.

Sorry stanley...I couldn't resist.  You probably typed out the post on your smartphone and spell check made the changes on you.

Regards, Kevin Bieska

• Haha 1

I'm not really that irritated that we didn't sign Toffoli, but am that we didn't even approach him or talk to him.

Posted (edited)

Some might not really remember, but he was only "okay" here, meaning he only played 10 games. Maybe LA is also kicking themselves for letting him go too. lol  

Just glad CGY didn't pick him up. 

Edited by NUCKER67
11 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Some might not really remember, but he was only "okay" here, meaning he only played 10 games. Maybe LA is also kicking themselves for letting him go too. lol  

They were a rebuilding team that got assets for him. We just said cya we gotta try and sign Jake, and let him walk. 

9 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Sorry, I remember Toffoli being productive in the regular season and showing heart and grit playing with an injury in the playoffs for the Canucks.

In the 10 regular season games Toffoli played, he produced 6G 4A.  In 7 playoff games Toffoli played, he scored twice and had two assists, on an injured foot/ankle that required a walking boot. 

Toffoli being "only "okay" here, meaning he only played 10 games" is an inane line of reasoning.  His body of work while in LA and his 17 games in a Canucks jersey is more than enough for me to have expected Benning to make an offer to secure a bonafide top six forward.  Instead, Benning was busy pulling his pud on OEL and Virtanen.

• Like 1
  • RoughGame 1
13 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

It should have been the straw that broke the camels back yet on we go to year 8...

Jim flew too close to the sun. If he could have pulled off shedding Loui and adding in OEL with some retained salary thats something you do all day. 

8 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I'm not really that irritated that we didn't sign Toffoli, but am that we didn't even approach him or talk to him.

Pretty sure I recall reading that we asked him to hang on while we moved cap. He didn't want to wait (his prerogative) and signed with his childhood team. We didn't simply ignore him.

It sucks but you can only control what you can control.

• Vintage 1

good for Toffoli  going to Montreal and making it work  for him.  it is time to get over it. who knows maybe he would have got Covid like the rest of our team.  or maybe with the horrible schedule at the beginning of the season, maybe he would have got injured or wouldn't have been able to play the way he does in Montreal. anyways who cares! he belongs to the Habs,  people need to get over it.

12 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

The stupidest move Benning will probably ever make. I said it then and that sentiment holds true to this very moment. 

Unbelievable that there are still some users here that defend Jim Benning for what he had accomplished. Let's put this into perspective: Mr. Benning gave up a good prospect in Tyler Madden and a 2nd round pick to acquire Toffoli only to get 10 ! regular season games and 7 playoff games out of Toffoli.

Benning knew well in advance that they had to move out some cap in order to be able to resign him, but Mr. Benning wasn't able to move out cap. Pretty strong performance from Jim. Other GM's get this done by throwing in a sweetener like a draft pick or a prospect. But hey Canucks GM couldn't manage it - like other things as well. One of the worst GM's the Canucks ever had.

Instead of prioritizing Toffoli's resigning he signed the very popular Jake Virtanen, yeah exactly the Jake that has been so consistent over the last couple of seasons and really showed off in the playoff run. Unbelievable.

I feel so sorry for the passionate fanbase, because with Jim this franchise isn't going anywhere. Very sad, but that's how it is.

• RoughGame 1
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Pretty sure I recall reading that we asked him to hang on while we moved cap. He didn't want to wait (his prerogative) and signed with his childhood team. We didn't simply ignore him.

It sucks but you can only control what you can control.

LeBrun likes to remind everyone that Toffoli waited 3 days into free agency.

The buyout window closes before free agency so does the deadline for qualifying offers.  Vancouver qualified Virtanen - he had arbitration rights and did end up filing.  An arbitration award is binding (unless more than 4.5M which was unlikely).

They would have had to clear cap to sign Toffoli + also the cap to sign Virtanen as he was qualified.

How likely was it that they were going to be able to clear possibly over 6.5M by trade - assuming circa 4M for Toffoli and 2.5M for Virtanen.  Sutter is only a 4.5M cap hit and they already knew that Eriksson was unmovable at his full cap hit.

The season was suspended from mid March to early July.  The Canucks' bubble season ended a week into September.  Free agency was 9 October.  It didn't have to wait till after free agency and they made the decision to qualify Virtanen and risk the arbitration award with him coming off an 18 goal season.

Edited by mll
Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Unbelievable that there are still some users here that defend Jim Benning for what he had accomplished. Let's put this into perspective: Mr. Benning gave up a good prospect in Tyler Madden and a 2nd round pick to acquire Toffoli only to get 10 ! regular season games and 7 playoff games out of Toffoli.

Benning knew well in advance that they had to move out some cap in order to be able to resign him, but Mr. Benning wasn't able to move out cap. Pretty strong performance from Jim. Other GM's get this done by throwing in a sweetener like a draft pick or a prospect. But hey Canucks GM couldn't manage it - like other things as well. One of the worst GM's the Canucks ever had.

Instead of prioritizing Toffoli's resigning he signed the very popular Jake Virtanen, yeah exactly the Jake that has been so consistent over the last couple of seasons and really showed off in the playoff run. Unbelievable.

I feel so sorry for the passionate fanbase, because with Jim this franchise isn't going anywhere. Very sad, but that's how it is.

A B prospect and a 2nd is a fair price for one of the better rentals in recent years.  As a straight rental, this was an excellent deal.

Covid shortened the season, the deal was for far more than 10 regular season games.  Without Boeser, the Toffoli deal was a big reason we even got into the bubble.  I love the fact that JB rewarded the team, which was falling out of the race at the time, with a solid veteran. The experience that the team got through last year, as well as this one will be significant over the next few years.

Don't omit 2 things: 

1) The cap was expected to rise 3.5-4 million prior to Covid, with another increase this year, and another next year.  Yes, we were in a cap crunch prior top the move, but Covid multiplied that.

2) Toffoli was a 45 point player throughout his career.  At 29 not many people break out into a career year, stoked for him though, seems like real good dude.  4 years 17 mill would have been a huge risk without the benefit of hindsight, how well have our 3-4 year deals aged for players in that age bracket as of late?  Also, no other GM signed him at that deal.  None.  It wasn't like he went on day 1 of UFA, he on the open market for nearly a week.  Every other GM held back, not just JB.  

Edited by BCNate
  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1