The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Toffoli | #73 | RW/LW

-AJ-

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Exactly.  But that same poster also thought Toffoli was not the right guy to trade for.  Oh well.....:picard:.  They also said we paid too much for JT Miller.  Ouch.

It amuses me even more that you are so riled up by someone (not me) showing how you are spouting nonsense... that you are going through months old posts trying to find stuff I was wrong about.

I definitely said I wasn’t sure that Toffoli was the guy to spend the Madden chip on (while in the same post acknowledging we did need to get a guy like Toffoli).  In context I was hoping to get a player with term and shedding some cap if we are giving up futures... I still do.

it is super amusing that you are slamming me about Toffoli but he has only played a grand total of 4 games for us... a tiny sample size that you have made your judgement on him... same with your 2 game sample size dismissal of Demko as being trash.... but a sample size of 20% of the season isn’t enough to suggest Boeser was struggling.  The utter lack of coherence In your arguments is hilarious.

The fact I was (and still am) worried about how future outcomes are going to work out is not the same as you denying actual past events that have already happened  and are objective reality.

Edited by Provost
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, coastal.view said:

i never really understand these sorts of projections

people insist brock is a 40 goal player

or that he is a 30 goal player

he has never cracked that goal total

now the narrative is he is an 80 point player?

let's first see what he can actually do

what he does accomplish, not what he could

i am a huge brock fan

but people get ahead of themselves in their projection of players

hell, even ep40 is not an 80 point player

why suggest brock is

you are just setting yourself and others up for typical cdc bitterness

where you will tire on a player

and demand he get moved

or benched

or whatever posters on here do

when a player is no longer in their good books

people blow so hot and cold on here

i am a huge brock fan as i said

his release in his first season was special

everyone could see that

everyone can see that is no longer part of his repetoire

he no longer stands out as a special player

he is good

but is changing his game

and his role on this team

maybe his wrist will come round

and his repeated injury issues will take a break

he is a very good player and apparently a really good person

hard not to support him

but let's stay real about him too

Nah, let's blow it all up... 90+

On 2/28/2020 at 9:40 AM, coastal.view said:

i never really understand these sorts of projections

people insist brock is a 40 goal player

or that he is a 30 goal player

he has never cracked that goal total

now the narrative is he is an 80 point player?

let's first see what he can actually do

what he does accomplish, not what he could

i am a huge brock fan

but people get ahead of themselves in their projection of players

hell, even ep40 is not an 80 point player

why suggest brock is

you are just setting yourself and others up for typical cdc bitterness

where you will tire on a player

and demand he get moved

or benched

or whatever posters on here do

when a player is no longer in their good books

people blow so hot and cold on here

i am a huge brock fan as i said

his release in his first season was special

everyone could see that

everyone can see that is no longer part of his repetoire

he no longer stands out as a special player

he is good

but is changing his game

and his role on this team

maybe his wrist will come round

and his repeated injury issues will take a break

he is a very good player and apparently a really good person

hard not to support him

but let's stay real about him too

You are absolutely spot on. Im a fan of the team and Im excited where we are heading but we are starting to get ahead of ourselves by some of the words elite tied to EP40, Boeser etc. Seem like the word ELITE has been thrown way too loosely around here, what I considered Elite is Matthews , McDavid, Crosby, etc., 100 pt players, now a 70-80 point player like Pettersson is considered elite? He may get there but as of now, no hes not. He's very good though. My fear is we might be overrating our players WAY too much and expecting a lot just like Leafs fans of the 2000's with Cujo, Sundin, Darcy Tucker, Kaberle etc

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I am wondering if the Canucks have to make playoffs for TT to want to resign in Vancouver? 

Gotta think its somewhat of a factor. I

He can suck with the kings. Why would he choose to suck with us.

56 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I am wondering if the Canucks have to make playoffs for TT to want to resign in Vancouver? 

Does it really matter what Tofu wants?  We don’t have any cap room to sign him.  JB, after the trade, said he doesn’t make this deal if Bess isn’t injured.  That tells me Tofu is strictly a rental.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Does it really matter what Tofu wants?  We don’t have any cap room to sign him.  JB, after the trade, said he doesn’t make this deal if Bess isn’t injured.  That tells me Tofu is strictly a rental.  

I think JB will go to great lengths to sign Toffoli.  He's a great addition to the team and losing Madden and a 2nd for nothing looks very bad on JB. 

I can see a combo of Stecher, Baer, Domingue, Fant, Benn, Leivo and possibly Loui off the books.  Who knows what will be happening with Ferland's situation? Personally, I'd rather trade Pears and put Virt on the left W.  There will also be a decent increase in salary cap.

There's plenty of options available to JB if he wants to re-sign Toffoli.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2020 at 1:20 AM, filthycanuck said:

You are absolutely spot on. Im a fan of the team and Im excited where we are heading but we are starting to get ahead of ourselves by some of the words elite tied to EP40, Boeser etc. Seem like the word ELITE has been thrown way too loosely around here, what I considered Elite is Matthews , McDavid, Crosby, etc., 100 pt players, now a 70-80 point player like Pettersson is considered elite? He may get there but as of now, no hes not. He's very good though. My fear is we might be overrating our players WAY too much and expecting a lot just like Leafs fans of the 2000's with Cujo, Sundin, Darcy Tucker, Kaberle etc

Mathews is ok but I don't see him as elite, he could be , he is not very good defensively. Pettersson and Hughes are on their way to becoming elite.

On 3/1/2020 at 2:20 AM, filthycanuck said:

With all due respect you don't quite appreciate the terms used to describe players. In common usage it goes like generational > franchise > elite > great/good

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Petey is currently elite and I think will be a franchise player close to the 100 point mark in 2-3 years, especially if our team keeps getting better 

Hughes is currently franchise good for us because we have never had a d man of his calibre at such a young age. The Canucks have never, in their history had that true no 1 d man and have never had a Norris trophy winner.

Brock is good right now, could be elite

bo is good, could also become elite 

our core is still very young:

Petey

Hughes

Bo

Brock

Virt

Gaudette

I would say these guys are in our core, all under 25

also in our core

Marky

Miller

Toff (we need to re-sign him)

edler 

Tryamkin may be a core player next year

not bad. I hope in 2 years, Hogz and Podz are in our core 

in 3 years, 1-3 of Woo, Rafferty,  OJ and Rathbone may have worked their way

future is bright, but this stretch run and this summer could be absolutely paramount for the team.

Personally, I would prefer we just barely miss out on the playoffs and get a really high pick with lottery luck that we have never had. Then I would think the rebuild should be over. 

Off season recommendations

Consider a Brock for Dumba trade?

Brock + stecher + Baertschi + 3rd for Dumba and 2nd?

LE retires, $ comes off cap, we make up the rest of his $$ by giving him a front office job as a "special consultant" or player developer for Swedish kids etc, ala front office Job Luongo has

trade Sutter for whatever you can get ? a 4th??

resign Levio to cheap, see if he can play bottom 6 minutes

resign Mrky 6 mill

Tryamkin 2.5

Virtanen 3.5

resign Tanev for 4.8

resign Toff 6 mill

We need a shut down counterman and a true checking line a trio we can throw out there to lock it down and just frustrate the other team 

maybe sign a really good bottom 6 UFA who can shut it down

Miller Petey Toff

Pearson Gaudette Virtanen

Roussel Bo Leivo/UFA

Motte Beagle Mcewan/Jasek/Lind

Hughes Dumba

Edler Myers

Tryamkin Tanev

OJ

that's a really good D group!!! Allows elder to age gracefully

14 hours ago, Maddogy said:

With all due respect you don't quite appreciate the terms used to describe players. In common usage it goes like generational > franchise > elite > great/good

Why don't you break it down for me then? I define ELITE as top 5 players in the league. He's not even a top 15 player in the league, which in my definition, hes very good, it remains to be seen whether hes going to be in my books called elite. In few years, great, good for us but as of right now no. He had an assist tonight, yay, but he barely did anything the whole night. Did you see Nathan McKinnon tonight? Pretty much every shift or every other shift the guy was absolutely dangerous, you can't take your eyes off him when hes on the ice. Thats my definition of elite

15 hours ago, bree2 said:

Mathews is ok but I don't see him as elite, he could be , he is not very good defensively. Pettersson and Hughes are on their way to becoming elite.

Im no means a Leafs fan, but I'll give where credit is due, Matthews is as good if not better than Petey defensively. If Toronto for some reason offered Matthews for Petterson straight up, Benning would fall of his chair just like how he got Pearson for Gudbranson

15 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I think JB will go to great lengths to sign Toffoli.  He's a great addition to the team and losing Madden and a 2nd for nothing looks very bad on JB. 

I can see a combo of Stecher, Baer, Domingue, Fant, Benn, Leivo and possibly Loui off the books.  Who knows what will be happening with Ferland's situation? Personally, I'd rather trade Pears and put Virt on the left W.  There will also be a decent increase in salary cap.

There's plenty of options available to JB if he wants to re-sign Toffoli.

I think we will sign Toffoli, especially with the increased salary cap which was announced a few days ago. A few of the analysts brought up some really good points on Toffoli wanting to sign here, we are an up and coming team, west coast based so hes closer to his wife during the months where baseball and hockey overlap, and theres not much competition on the west coast teams to possibly sign him. The Cali teams are all in full on rebuild, Vegas, Edm, Calgary are close to being capped out, so that only leaves Phoenix as the other possible destination

52 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

Im no means a Leafs fan, but I'll give where credit is due, Matthews is as good if not better than Petey defensively. If Toronto for some reason offered Matthews for Petterson straight up, Benning would fall of his chair just like how he got Pearson for Gudbranson

Pettersson in a few years could end up a much better player overall.

Matthews will probably be one of the best goal scorers but I can see Petey being an Art Ross threat more so.

• Vintage 1

23 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Pettersson in a few years could end up a much better player overall.

Matthews will probably be one of the best goal scorers but I can see Petey being an Art Ross threat more so.

Perhaps, good for us if he is but im having my doubts. Matthews is a year older than Petey and the comparisons arent even remotely close. This isn't a comparison of one guy having 1 year under his belt and another having 5. Matthews right now is a far superior player, and honestly, Matthews for EP40, Benning pulls that off, he'll have a statue in front of Rogers arena

9 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Perhaps, good for us if he is but im having my doubts. Matthews is a year older than Petey and the comparisons arent even remotely close. This isn't a comparison of one guy having 1 year under his belt and another having 5. Matthews right now is a far superior player, and honestly, Matthews for EP40, Benning pulls that off, he'll have a statue in front of Rogers arena

We could not afford his $11.6 mil / yr contract with out gutting the rest of the team. I would rather keep what we have; besides we really don't need guys that go around flashing their butts in public. I for one, am glad he is in Laugher land.

• Cheers 1