Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

STOP! (Discussion)


J.I.A.H.N
 Share

Recommended Posts

OK, I love proposals for the sake of discussion, but I would hope Jim Benning would take a break from trying to pick up players for the sake of a playoff run.

IMO, yes it would be great to get the kids some experience, but not at all costs. We have moved 2 important assets in the past year. one being the 1st round pick, which

was a good move picking Miller, and I am all for picking up Toffoli, if he gets re-signed, for Madden and that 2nd.

 

But to continue to move additional pieces, to pick up players for the playoffs, falls in the face of getting the kids playoff experience. If we are in fact trying to get the

kids the playoff experience?

 

The other caveat on this is that, we will either have to sign and expose someone else, or let them walk. This is the case of Toffoli, who is the 8th "core" type forward,

where we can only protect 7...…...so in order of protection....Pettersson, Horvat, Miller, Boeser, Toffoli, Virtanen, Gaudette, and Pearson. It would be a shame to loose 

one of that calibre of player, after spending all that asset.

 

We have the beginning of a real nice looking team, who will be at their peak 2 years from now. But as we enter that era of our re-build, we will need to continue to 

add young ELC's to our line-up and farm team. We will need those picks, which will have its successes and its failures. And more importantly, we will need our young

prospects that we have accumulated, to fill those ELC's as our veterans are moved or retire.

 

IMO, there is no need, nor the will from the Canuck fan base to add any more...…..

 

JB...………...Stand down!

  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

According to 1040 JB may have no choice but to stand down.

 

They might not be able to afford SImmonds because Boeser might be back before end of season.  Something to do with Cap, the LTIR , and simmonds contract.  The math cant add up unless they get rid of someone.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

OK, I love proposals for the sake of discussion, but I would hope Jim Benning would take a break from trying to pick up players for the sake of a playoff run.

IMO, yes it would be great to get the kids some experience, but not at all costs. We have moved 2 important assets in the past year. one being the 1st round pick, which

was a good move picking Miller, and I am all for picking up Toffoli, if he gets re-signed, for Madden and that 2nd.

 

But to continue to move additional pieces, to pick up players for the playoffs, falls in the face of getting the kids playoff experience. If we are in fact trying to get the

kids the playoff experience?

 

The other caveat on this is that, we will either have to sign and expose someone else, or let them walk. This is the case of Toffoli, who is the 8th "core" type forward,

where we can only protect 7...…...so in order of protection....Pettersson, Horvat, Miller, Boeser, Toffoli, Virtanen, Gaudette, and Pearson. It would be a shame to loose 

one of that calibre of player, after spending all that asset.

 

We have the beginning of a real nice looking team, who will be at their peak 2 years from now. But as we enter that era of our re-build, we will need to continue to 

add young ELC's to our line-up and farm team. We will need those picks, which will have its successes and its failures. And more importantly, we will need our young

prospects that we have accumulated, to fill those ELC's as our veterans are moved or retire.

 

IMO, there is no need, nor the will from the Canuck fan base to add any more...…..

 

JB...………...Stand down!

My personal thoughts are, unless there's a deal that pops up that's unbelievable value, he's done on moves that will effect our team immediately.

 

IMO, any other moves will be balancing our prospect pool, looking for opportunities to strengthen areas of weakness from positions of strength.

 

Will not be surprised if he manages to move Baerstchi before the deadline, to a team looking for scoring depth for the playoffs. Could see them try and move someone like David Pope for future consideration, just to free up another contract slot so that he can be aggressive with some of the college free agents and maybe Tryamkin.

 

Could be wrong, but I really don't think he'll do anything more that tweaking here and there around the edges.

  • Huggy Bear 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

OK, I love proposals for the sake of discussion, but I would hope Jim Benning would take a break from trying to pick up players for the sake of a playoff run.

IMO, yes it would be great to get the kids some experience, but not at all costs. We have moved 2 important assets in the past year. one being the 1st round pick, which

was a good move picking Miller, and I am all for picking up Toffoli, if he gets re-signed, for Madden and that 2nd.

 

But to continue to move additional pieces, to pick up players for the playoffs, falls in the face of getting the kids playoff experience. If we are in fact trying to get the

kids the playoff experience?

 

The other caveat on this is that, we will either have to sign and expose someone else, or let them walk. This is the case of Toffoli, who is the 8th "core" type forward,

where we can only protect 7...…...so in order of protection....Pettersson, Horvat, Miller, Boeser, Toffoli, Virtanen, Gaudette, and Pearson. It would be a shame to loose 

one of that calibre of player, after spending all that asset.

 

We have the beginning of a real nice looking team, who will be at their peak 2 years from now. But as we enter that era of our re-build, we will need to continue to 

add young ELC's to our line-up and farm team. We will need those picks, which will have its successes and its failures. And more importantly, we will need our young

prospects that we have accumulated, to fill those ELC's as our veterans are moved or retire.

 

IMO, there is no need, nor the will from the Canuck fan base to add any more...…..

 

JB...………...Stand down!

I would think he is picking up players for the Nucks to get to the playoffs which could be an important factor in his job security. The drop off they have been having needs to stop and get back on track.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

I would think he is picking up players for the Nucks to get to the playoffs ywhich could be an important factor in his job securit. The drop off they have been having needs to stop and get back on track.

I am sure that has a part in it.....

 

Bottom line for me is.

 

#`1. Keep our prospects

# 2. Keep our remaining picks

# 3. Trade spare parts

# 4. Protect cap/Shed Cap

# 5. Give the kids some experience in regular season - NOW!

# 6. Playoff experience

 

38 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

My personal thoughts are, unless there's a deal that pops up that's unbelievable value, he's done on moves that will effect our team immediately.

 

IMO, any other moves will be balancing our prospect pool, looking for opportunities to strengthen areas of weakness from positions of strength.

 

Will not be surprised if he manages to move Baerstchi before the deadline, to a team looking for scoring depth for the playoffs. Could see them try and move someone like David Pope for future consideration, just to free up another contract slot so that he can be aggressive with some of the college free agents and maybe Tryamkin.

 

Could be wrong, but I really don't think he'll do anything more that tweaking here and there around the edges.

IMO, our Talent Pool is pretty even through out right now......

 

Youth on the big club in all positions

Podkolzin, Hoglander, Jasek, Focht, MacEwen and Lind up front

Juolevi, Rathbone, Brisebois, Tryamkin, Woo and Rafferty 3/3 IMO that is good distribution on Defence

Demko, DiPietro and Silovs

 

Long, long, long shots...Teves and Utunen?????????

 

Looks pretty good if not unproven......

 

Yes, to more NCAA UFA's...…………….he should never stop!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

Simmons for a 4th and gadjovic.

 

Get it done JB

JB isnt done, hes either gonna grab another D or Wayne Simmons ....just depends what we have to give up for eitherone ....my gut feeling hes gonna try for wayne

Link to comment
Share on other sites

not sure what the worry is

jb said he has 7 prospect players that he is confident will make the main team over the next 2 seasons

brock got hurt and could upset the calibre of play the team has been acheiving

and could result in the team not making the playoffs

 

toffoli was acquired to replace brock

if brock was not injured, and toffoli was not acquired, jb likely still wanted one more piece

so he likely still does

that is pretty shrewd on his part

 

he has lots of depth

lots of low draft picks left from this draft

so no, do not necessarily stop cuz some poster says so

i say get this team in if another small piece or 2 can get that done

the core has to get playoff experience now

they had a very strong january for a change

let's build on it

 

the team would benefit most

from it's important players stepping up a bit

team needs a bit more from petey, bo, virt and pearson

and if marky could just get his play a tiny step higher like he was playing before

then this team should make the playoffs

 

let's enjoy this run

and not spend too much time second guessing management

they have built a solid prospect pool

and if they think it important to dip into that pool a bit now

i cannot argue against their decision

 

 

Edited by coastal.view
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

IMO, our Talent Pool is pretty even through out right now......

 

Youth on the big club in all positions

Podkolzin, Hoglander, Jasek, Focht, MacEwen and Lind up front

Juolevi, Rathbone, Brisebois, Tryamkin, Woo and Rafferty 3/3 IMO that is good distribution on Defence

Demko, DiPietro and Silovs

 

Long, long, long shots...Teves and Utunen?????????

 

Looks pretty good if not unproven......

 

Yes, to more NCAA UFA's...…………….he should never stop!

Generally agree, but sometimes there's room for some tweaking.

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We are mostly set for our first taste of playoff experience with the early parts of our new core.

 

We need to fill Ferland's skill and militarism by MacEwen or a deal for the playoffs - exit Eriksson ( press box ).

 

We should not disrupt the chemistry in the locker room the young men are enjoying amongst themselves by extracting one of them, that can wait for the offseason.

 

Manson or Simmons would be on my radar. Barrie plain nonsense!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

 

The other caveat on this is that, we will either have to sign and expose someone else, or let them walk. This is the case of Toffoli, who is the 8th "core" type forward,

where we can only protect 7...…...so in order of protection....Pettersson, Horvat, Miller, Boeser, Toffoli, Virtanen, Gaudette, and Pearson. It would be a shame to loose 

one of that calibre of player, after spending all that asset.

 

 

Pearson will be UFA in a year so unless they extend him before, he wouldn’t need expansion draft protection.  

 

Edited by mll
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Well, I guess it depends if they want to re-sign him...….I sure would not want him walking in free agency

They can have discussions to tell him they want him back and sign him after the draft.  

 

It’s also the same year that Pettersson, Hughes are up and they will likely be the priority.  Canucks cap situation is unclear with Markstrom, Toffoli, Tanev etc this season. Who comes back, at what costs, are they moving contracts, what about the bonus overage next season, Ferland’s LTIR status all have an impact on the cap.  The roster after the summer will give a far clearer picture.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...