The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks interested in Tyson Barrie

brian42

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

Love me some Troy for sure. 

I think that's the harshness of the business side of hockey isn't it? 

And as fans, we do grow attached to the players, especially if they're local born and bred from BC. 

If Stecher goes tomorrow morning, I'm going to miss him as a member of this franchise. 

Me too. Had a hell of a game against the Bruins

3 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Scary thing is, it's really quiet at the rumors front, which worries me with the Canucks. 

Get the sense that Troy and a few more assets will be moving out by tomorrow morning :( 

I like Barrie, but he's going to cost more than Stecher will, even with his raise. How are we going to afford to bring all these players back? 

I don't understand all these potential moves. This team isn't a CUP contending team. They barely have any postseason experience. And that counts for something in the playoffs, doesn't it? I don't see the Canucks going to the Finals, let alone winning Lord Stanley - not this season anyways. So why is the organization giving up so much for two rentals in Toffoli (I mean, I do like him a lot, hope he stays with Van), and possibly Barrie (who is also a UFA). 

Anything can happen in the playoffs. Kings were the 8th seed in 2012 and steamrolled their way to the cup. 

With Boeser coming back this team will be dangerous. 

Just now, NaveJoseph said:

Stecher for Barrie would not be a lateral move. Barrie is about as good defensively, and much better offensively.

I understand being attached to players like Stecher and Juolevi but come on. 
Barrie has averaged 47 points over the past 7 seasons, including this unfinished season. The most Stecher has gotten is 24.

Good points

My issue is Barrie will be playing the same minutes as stecher is.

Is barrie worth the cost to have him play 3rd pairing?

He's not bumping anyone off pp1 he probably won't bump anyone off pp2

Miller Pettersson Boeser 

Horvat

Hughes

Pearson Gaudette Toffoli 

Virtanen

Edler/Myers

Where does he slot in ?

Leafs are losing barrie via UFA

Stecher is a cost certain RFA

OJ aswell, he is not even developed fully

And a pick

For

27ish games if we're lucky ?

No thanks. 

Quote me, If the canucks acquire barrie for Stecher+OJ +a pick it will go down as a terrible trade for the canucks.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Yes.  Honestly, at some point one of his coaches should have stuck him in the press box and tell him the only way he plays another shift is if he starts playing defense. at an acceptable level.

I mean, we are talking about Toronto here

They don't even know how to spell defense. 

:bigblush:

5 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

Anything can happen in the playoffs. Kings were the 8th seed in 2012 and steamrolled their way to the cup. 

With Boeser coming back this team will be dangerous. 

Yeah, I get that. 

But this current version of the Canucks are so inexperienced, especially their young stars (EP40, Hughes, Boeser even). I don't know if the 2012 Kings team was experienced or not, but they caught fire at the perfect time. If that happened to the Canucks, then yeah, I can see them going on a long run based off of momentum, and catching fire at just the right time. 

12 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Good points

My issue is Barrie will be playing the same minutes as stecher is.

Is barrie worth the cost to have him play 3rd pairing?

He's not bumping anyone off pp1 he probably won't bump anyone off pp2

Miller Pettersson Boeser 

Horvat

Hughes

Pearson Gaudette Toffoli 

Virtanen

Edler/Myers

Where does he slot in ?

Leafs are losing barrie via UFA

Stecher is a cost certain RFA

OJ aswell, he is not even developed fully

And a pick

For

27ish games if we're lucky ?

No thanks. 

Quote me, If the canucks acquire barrie for Stecher+OJ +a pick it will go down as a terrible trade for the canucks.

I think Barrie would get enough playing time. Would supplant Myers on the 2nd PP. 
But Stecher and Juolevi + for a rental might be too much.

Still believe Juolevi could be a top 4 defenseman. May be injury prone ala Salo, but we loved Salo.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DarkGhost said:

I am so confused how anyone would want Barrie at this point. He is super overrated and has been on a downward trend for years now. 

I don’t see him as that much of an upgrade on Stetcher. Sure a few extra points...but I’d rather have Troy battling in the playoffs than Barrie. 

:lol: He literally had the best season of his career last year and the 2nd best the season prior to that. 

This year he only had 5pts playing for Babcock and whatever weird power struggle was happening there... he’s been a ppg D-man since Babcock was fired.  He’s about a 55-65 point D-man now. He’s not as bad as everyone here is making him  out to be. 

However that being said, I feel that with Hughes, we don’t need Barrie. We do however need some grit on the backend. Our D as a W(hole) group is softer than charmin. I’d have no problem trading out someone like Stetcher for a bigger, meaner defensman to help with crease battles in the playoffs as I feel only Benn and Myers have enough strength to battle in front of Markstrom. 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

:lol: He literally had the best season of his career last year and the 2nd best the season prior to that. 

This year he only had 5pts playing for Babcock and whatever weird power struggle was happening there... he’s been a ppg D-man since Babcock was fired.  He’s about a 55-65 point D-man now. He’s not as bad as everyone here is making him  out to be. 

However that being said, I feel that with Hughes, we don’t need Barrie. We do however need some grit on the backend. Our D as a W(hole) group is softer than charmin. I’d have no problem trading out someone like Stetcher for a bigger, meaner defensman to help with crease battles in the playoffs as I feel only Benn and Myers have enough strength to battle in front of Markstrom. 

The D core may not have any face crushing fighters but you are underselling Tanev, Edler even Stecher and Fantenberg.

Tanev and Edler can move or contain just about anyone in front of the net.

Stecher competes hard(er) when out matched physically.

Fanta is no slouch either, surprisingly.

Thuggy bear can and does contain the opposition by out skating, positioning, iq and a good stick.

But yes, if Stecher is moved i want a bigger meaner player.

Stecher+ OJ for Parayko! 5.5Mx3 years 

Bouwmeester is probably going to have to retire.

Scandella is a UFA

Dunn is an RFA

Pietrangelo is a UFA

Plus several other RFA to sign with 7mill in cap space for 20/21

Hughes Parayko 

Edler Tanev

Fantenberg Myers

Benn

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

The D core may not have any face crushing fighters but you are underselling Tanev, Edler even Stecher and Fantenberg.

Tanev and Edler can move or contain just about anyone in front of the net.

Stecher competes hard(er) when out matched physically.

Fanta is no slouch either, surprisingly.

Thuggy bear can and does contain the opposition by out skating, positioning, iq and a good stick.

But yes, if Stecher is moved i want a bigger meaner player.

Stecher+ OJ for Parayko! 5.5Mx3 years 

Bouwmeester is probably going to have to retire.

Scandella is a UFA

Dunn is an RFA

Pietrangelo is a UFA

Plus several other RFA to sign with 7mill in cap space for 20/21

Hughes Parayko 

Edler Tanev

Fantenberg Myers

Benn

I just don’t think if someone like Reaves, Kassian or Lucic(etc...everyone but us seem to have 1)is in Markstrom’s grill setting up a screen, that anybody not named Meyers, would be able to move them.

Remember things get tougher and grittier in the playoffs. 

I love the idea of Parayko, but let’s be honest, a team looking to repeat cups, isn’t going to trade a guy like that.

the one guy who intrigues me that is available is Dumba... he might be a good 3rd pairing guy... depending on the cost.

Edited by Standing_Tall#37
  • Cheers 1

If I was Benning I would Target Barrie, Miles Wood and then a dark horse of Lias andersson. Lias andersson won't play till next year but I think he could be a good piece and probably won't cost much. I think NYR will trade Krieder and DeAngelo and then use some lesser futures to fill their holes. One of the wholes for NYR right now are actually at center/ face offs. I think Van might be able to get rid of some cap from Sutter if they add to him.

To Van:

Barrie

To Tor:

Stecher

Zack MacEwen

2021 2nd round pick (Conditional that he signs if not it turns into a 3rd)

To Van:

Wood

To NJD:

Oli Juolevi

Sven Baertschi

To Van:

Lias andersson

To NYR:

Brandon Sutter

2022 3rd round pick

Pearson Horvat Toffoli

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Wood Gaudett Virtanen

Rousel Beagle Motte

Eriksson

Edler Barrie

Hughes Tanev

Tryamkin Myers

Fanta

Markstrom

Demko

Edited by Nicklas Bo Hunter

10 hours ago, Gaudette Celly said:

Never ceases to amaze how eager some are to help accelerate other team's rebuilds, especially in our own division.

Ha well you find another D man like josh Manson  and I would be happy to trade for him instead ha

canucks have never had a legit first pairing like Keith and seabrook or Scotty and pronger and the list goes on and imo Manson and Hughes could be the best pairing we have ever seen in Van. 

You want a cup, you need a number one D pairing....

also with Manson , green could play Hughes against anyone and we wouldn't have to worry 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

I just don’t think if someone like Reaves, Kassian or Lucic(etc...everyone but us seem to have 1)is in Markstrom’s grill setting up a screen, that anybody not named Meyers, would be able to move them.

Remember things get tougher and grittier in the playoffs. 

I love the idea of Parayko, but let’s be honest, a team looking to repeat cups, isn’t going to trade a guy like that.

the one guy who intrigues me that is available is Dumba... he might be a good 3rd pairing guy... depending on the cost.

100%

the blues d was a big (scuse the pun) reason they won the cup.

• Cheers 2