The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks interested in Tyson Barrie

brian42

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Despite what you think Barrie is still a top 4 Dman.

Last 6 seasons Barrie's averaged over 21 minutes a game while Stecher is only averaging 15 minutes a game this year now that we have a top 4.

If Toronto, a team that is desperate for D and doesn't care whether or not their defensemen can play in their own end at an NHL level, that should be enough of a warning.

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Irony is that Tanev has more points than Myers so far this season.

Playing with Hughes will probably do that. Myers has either been with Edler in a defensive role or a top 6 D.

Would be nice if we got a bit more out of Myers offensively though.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Instead of getting offensive defacemen. How about we try to get a d-man learning the ropes in the NHL, it will be cheaper. 

Noah to build our defensive Ark

Noah Dobson New York Islanders, 30 NHL games, 5 points, -3, 6'4", 193 lbs. Also a right hand shot. 

Trade Tanev for Dobson, Islanders have tons of cap space. Islanders want to hold onto a playoff spot. 

Canucks get bigger on the back end, and younger, and he's earning under a million until 2022. 

Solves a lot of problems. Not sure if Lou would be willing to pull the trigger on a deal like that though. 

dobson will not be cheap

he was rated by some teams to be better then hughes

he is a solid first round pick

doubt a rental like tanev would net us dobson

he is still projecting to be a very good dman

• Upvote 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

If Toronto, a team that is desperate for D and doesn't care whether or not their defensemen can play in their own end at an NHL level, that should be enough of a warning.

Hasn't been a fit there but it was in Colorado all those years. Six of which he averaged over 21 minutes a game. 340 points in 545 games pretty good for a defenseman.

FTR I don't think we should get him but he's a top 4 D.

6 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Playing with Hughes will probably do that. Myers has either been with Edler in a defensive role or a top 6 D.

Would be nice if we got a bit more out of Myers offensively though.

Myers has also had essentially 2nd unit power play time.  Tanev has averaged 4 seconds of power play time this season so far.  Myers held his own defensively but he isn't paid 6 million a year for that.  Course how much of that is the fault of the PP play coach drawing up awful plans/strategies is anybody's guess.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

I would make this hockey trade only if Jim Benning resigns Toffoli..

Boser and Stetcher -- New Jersey.. -- I would add another prospect as two player we acquire  are just what Vancouver need..

This would be a fantastic hockey move..

Damon Severson 6'2, 25 - solid #2 D man young type of D man  Vancouver needs..

Miles Wood 6'2 , 23 Winger very gritty and tough will turn into a Ferland type player......

• Cheers 3

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Myers has also had essentially 2nd unit power play time.  Tanev has averaged 4 seconds of power play time this season so far.  He's held his own defensively but he isn't paid 6 million a year for that.  Course how much of that is the fault of the PP play coach drawing up awful plans/strategies is anybody's guess.

Good point in terms of special teams. Myers is being more in every sort of situation this year. 6M i'd expect more around 30ish points but who Myers is playing with and how the special teams are I am willing to ease of him slightly, not entirely though.

Can't deny playing with Hughes 3/4 of the time is gonna help your stats out.

I am more concerned with our top 6 D than our top 4 though. Need guys to play more than 15 minutes a games there.

• Cheers 1

If we didn't sign Myers I'd be on board for this. But as it stands now we only have 3 reliable d-men in the dzone. And it's Tanev, Edler and Stecher. Losing one of them to acquire Barrie we'd be giving up more shots than we already do. And we already give up the 4th most shots against in the league. I guess if we get Tryamkin back it'd be okay. Deal would likely involve Tanev for Barrie though.

Edler Stecher

Hughes Myers

Tryamkin Barrie

That second pair scares me though. I don't trust any of those righties to play with Hughes. Tanev is a good defensive buffer for Hughes. Stecher is sound defensively but he shouldn't be the defensive anchor of a pair. I vote no on Barrie unless they take a Stecher package for him. That is very unlikely though. Stecher is a top 6 d-man that can fill in top 4 in emergencies, but not a top 4 staple.

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

If we didn't sign Myers I'd be on board for this. But as it stands now we only have 3 reliable d-men in the dzone. And it's Tanev, Edler and Stecher. Losing one of them to acquire Barrie we'd be giving up more shots than we already do. And we already give up the 4th most shots against in the league. I guess if we get Tryamkin back it'd be okay. Deal would likely involve Tanev for Barrie though.

Edler Stecher

Hughes Myers

Tryamkin Barrie

That second pair scares me though. I don't trust any of those righties to play with Hughes. Tanev is a good defensive buffer for Hughes. Stecher is sound defensively but he shouldn't be the defensive anchor of a pair. I vote no on Barrie unless they take a Stecher package for him. That is very unlikely though. Stecher is a top 6 d-man that can fill in top 4 in emergencies, but not a top 4 staple.

You do realize that 5 on 5, when Hughes is on the ice, we out shoot the other teams 7-3.  Hughes is actually, by far, our best defensive D man.  It’s not even close really.  He is a possession machine, who drives play like no other since Orr.  Now Bobby was the best there was, is, and ever will be, but Quinn Hughes drives possession in a similar way.  

Lol if a trade for barrie I'll be tanev.. a rental for a rental.. we are unlikely to sign tanev in the off season anyways unless some miraculous stuff happens with getting rid of loui and baertschi. I honestly dont mind the trade. I rather see Hughes barrie on the point than one of our forward on the point and move horvat to pp2. I mean this team live and die on the powerplay anyways and the defense is a hot mess regardless.. let's fix one and hope markstrom stands on his head.. rather than have a useless powerplay and a useless defense.

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The defense needs more size and strength, not another smallish defenseman. 

And meanness.  Want a bigger guy, who can play, and brings mean.  Love a dirty player who does damage to opponents so they fear coming into our zone.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1