The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks interested in Tyson Barrie

brian42

22 minutes ago, Sweathog said:

And do we even want him on a long term contract? He's already 28, and will probably be asking for $8M per year and up

Probably not long term. 3-4 years? If he signs for that term for 5.5 million do you do it? 

27 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

We don't want him on any contract.

I wouldn't mind him if we had better defensive D and maybe didn't have Myers. Can't afford to have Myers and Barrie.

Need to replace bottom 6 with better defenders. Stech/Benn/Fanta need upgrades there defensively.

I am hoping Tryamkin comes back then we can move some bodies out and sign a solid defender in FA. Gudas, Braun, DeMelo are all viable top 6 options

35 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Probably not long term. 3-4 years? If he signs for that term for 5.5 million do you do it? 

In a heart beat.

Canucks would suddenly have two top d pairings each with a high level puck mover and a guy that can actually defend.  Would be awesome imo.

• Cheers 1

• 5 months later...
7 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

Depending on when/if the next season starts, do people foresee a case where we do a small clearout and bring in Barrie

I do not wanna see a blueline with Barrie and Myers on two different pairs and less so together. :sick: Our defense is garbage enough as is in their own zone.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

Depending on when/if the next season starts, do people foresee a case where we do a small clearout and bring in Barrie

Nope, if anything we try to make room for Toffoli, but even that seems iffy. I don't see any world we try to land the big name D this offseason.

3 hours ago, warrchief said:

With what cap? I mean I rather have some money in the bank to sign Petey and Hughes. I doubt they would take a bridge deal

Hense the small clear out.

Ferland is likely to come off the roster, stetcher goes, trade/let a couple of the older forward corp go (I’ve not thought about details) 

but having a blue line consisting of

hughes

barrie

myers

tryamkin (if we can find the space for him and can reach a deal for him to come over at the end of the KHL season) 

Rathbone 

Rafferty

Is not to bad (light on experiance) but potentially affordable as well

5 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

I do not wanna see a blueline with Barrie and Myers on two different pairs and less so together. :sick: Our defense is garbage enough as is in their own zone.

I agree our defence isn’t the greatest,  but I think a lot of that is also the defensive system, if you coach okay players to keep it tight they can do a job, especially if the forwards so their defensive duties 

19 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

We don't need a Barrie (or a Dumba for those who keep suggesting him). We already have a younger, better version of both in Hughes.

What we need is the 'Seabrook' to his 'Kieth'. The 'Suter' to his 'Dumba'.

Maybe Juolevi gets back on track and becomes that, maybe we package Virtanen for a young guy who might become that. Either way, Barrie is not the answer we're looking for.

44 minutes ago, aGENT said:

We don't need a Barrie (or a Dumba for those who keep suggesting him). We already have a younger, better version of both in Hughes.

Maybe Juolevi gets back on track and becomes that, maybe we package Virtanen for a young guy who might become that. Either way, Barrie is not the answer we're looking for.

Maybe some Woo-Tang clan? :lol:  There are several good D in this years draft. If we happen to have a mid 1st I think a Braden Schneider could be a perfect ying to Hughes yang. Modern day Luke Schenn with maybe better skating? Most of his points are PP points tho but he hits hard, can skate, and is very good defensively.

Not sure if this clip has any of his physical play but I like the kid. Has some solid nhl upside potentially with the right partner.

Edited by Rush17
  • Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, aGENT said:

we have zero chance of getting Dumba. I doubt even Boeser would be enough now, given how well Dumba has developed and with the leadership he's been showing lately.

Something like an Edler-Barrie pairing may have worked well at one point, but that time is passed. 

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

Hense the small clear out.

Ferland is likely to come off the roster, stetcher goes, trade/let a couple of the older forward corp go (I’ve not thought about details) 

but having a blue line consisting of

hughes

barrie

myers

tryamkin (if we can find the space for him and can reach a deal for him to come over at the end of the KHL season) 

Rathbone 

Rafferty

Is not to bad (light on experiance) but potentially affordable as well

This was before Ferland being out potentially permanently.

I think we can keep Stecher for cheap, he has been decent for us despite whatever hate Green has on him. Tryamkin, I am doubtful he'll sign. I rather keep Tanev and go

Hughes - Tanev
Edler - Myers
Juolevi - Stecher 

I hope they give Juolevi a long look for the LD next season. I think Rathbone needs some time in the AHL to get used to the big grind of a long season. I like Raffery as a 7th option and he gives more depth on the right side. 

1 hour ago, BoKnows said:

Don't need to overpay for another d-man.  

Top 4 D are typically best to acquire in the Draft. If we can find a fit in the next year or two we can manage 3-5 years until that D is ready. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Top 4 D are typically best to acquire in the Draft. If we can find a fit in the next year or two we can manage 3-5 years until that D is ready. 

honestly with the puck moving we have in Hughes, and the skills Juolevi and Rathbone look to be delivering sooner than later there's no need to go in big on Barrie. He'll be looking for at least 6 mil... that number with term scares me. I'd rather pay Krug 7 but there's no way Boston lets him go, they're in a good cap position next year.

• Cheers 1