The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks interested in Tyson Barrie

brian42

Just now, DeNiro said:

The idea is to sign both.

Offensive guy paired with a defensive guy. That’s how some of our most successful pairings have been set up.

If JB could work some magic you have me convinced. What other options are there? 

13 minutes ago, .Naslund said:

Literally none of our defenceman could do anything against the knights when it came to gaining the zone and creating offense. The best offense is defense. Barrie could ultimately help us out a lot, playing for his hometown team as opposed to the hated Leafs lolol 

Seeing Barrie play is sure as hell offensive to those who want our defensemen to play like NHLers in their own end..  That pylon does create a lot of offense, but it is mostly for the other team due to his absolutely atrocious defense.  The most help Barrie can do is by playing against us; there is zero room here for a defenseman too stupid or too lazy to play any defense whatsoever.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Tracksuit said:

I don’t see Barrie as an upgrade over tanev he’s a downgrade defensively. 
and he doesn’t have better size Either

Well he'd be an upgrade over Stecher at least. Weren't there rumblings for a package around the deadline that would have involved Stecher going the other way for Barrie? Like I said, maybe Benning can sign both Barrie and Tanev.

A right side of Barrie, Tanev and Myers ain't bad. Rounded out with Hughes, Edler, and Juolevi on the left - and guys like Chatfield, Rathbone and Rafferty who could be ready to step right in if/when called upon.

Just now, DeNiro said:

He wouldn’t be a replacement.

He would play with Edler most likely.

I wouldn't really want him unless we're added both him and Tanev.

Unrealistic I know. They'd have to accept around 4M each, 3 years max and we'd to clear cap to do that.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Re-sign Stecher and Tanev and hope for the best?

Right. Might not be there year we can really improve in this year. Now that the OEL thing is over I am excited to see some youth play back there. However 2 spots need to be filled minimum. Just a little nervous about short term fixes again. It’s been a never ending story 

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

Unrealistic I know. They'd have to accept around 4M each, 3 years max and we'd to clear cap to do that.

Exactly the argument I’m making.

Edler Barrie

Hughes Tanev

Juolevi Myers

Or

Edler Myers

Hughes Tanev

Juolevi/Benn Barrie

If he’s bad defensively give him less minutes 5 on 5 and hope he can be sheltered

8 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Edler Barrie

Hughes Tanev

Juolevi Myers

Or

Edler Myers

Hughes Tanev

Juolevi/Benn Barrie

If he’s bad defensively give him less minutes 5 on 5 and hope he can be sheltered

This is literally the only way this could work IMO. 

Otherwise, no Barrie. Barrie no bueno.

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Edler Barrie

Hughes Tanev

Juolevi Myers

Or

Edler Myers

Hughes Tanev

Juolevi/Benn Barrie

This would probably be the most expensive defence in the league bar maybe San Jose. Don't see how Vancouver pulls this off as nice as it would be.

3 minutes ago, Caboose said:

This would probably be the most expensive defence in the league bar maybe San Jose. Don't see how Vancouver pulls this off as nice as it would be.

Would be around 25 mil if Tanev and Barrie both signed for around 4.5.

About average for cap teams actually.

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Apparently the CBJ are shopping David Savard.

Interesting, I figured with the fact they dumped Murray and Nutivaara they'd be set. They must have an internal cap they are trying to sit on. Or they wanna go for both Pietrangelo AND Hall. Lol. Given what Murray and Nutivaara got. Savard could be had for cheap :ph34r: Then if we find a home for Roussel and/or Sutter that's cap to bring Tanev home.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Would be around 25 mil if Tanev and Barrie both signed for around 4.5.

About average for cap teams actually.

I might be out of touch but I feel like the Brodie contract puts the value of Tanev and Barrie at closer to or over 5,000,000

Just now, DeNiro said:

Well the whole scenario involves them taking less otherwise we walk away.

Fair enough I guess I didn't pick up on that. I can see that maybe happening for Barrie as he needs a bounce back year but I doubt Tanev, coming off a career season, and signing what is likely his last NHL contract, would take a significant pay cut.