The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Van LE & Demko - Ott draft picks

A possible way to move on from LE and his $6 million cap hit

This trade happens after LE bonus is paid out in July I believe and his NTC turns to a Modified NTC

Vancouver trades

- Louie Ericksson

- Thatcher Demko

Vancouver does this trade because;

(1) opens up $6 million in cap room to help resign Markstrom, Tanev, Virtanen, Gaudette and try to resign Toffoli

(2) get some mid round draft picks to help restock the prospect pool 

(3) DiPietro will most likely be ready to take the backup job within the next two seasons and is ranked higher then Demko by some scouts

Ottawa trades 

2021 3rd and 4th round draft picks 

Ottawa does this trade because; 

(1) get their goalie of the future that has shown he can play in the NHL 

(2) LE’s cap hit is $6 million but his actual salary is only $4 million ($1 million base salary/$3 million bonus) to help bring them past the cap floor as they have only $39 million in cap space on the books for 2020-2021 but Ottawa would only be paying LE $1 million after Vancouver pays his bonus money in July. 

(3) All of Ottawa’s goalie prospects are no where near Demko’s caliber and at least 3-4 years away from playing in the NHL

(4) Demko is still on his rookie contract and adds more cost control for Ottawa

I can’t wait to hear people rip this trade apart

• Haha 1

Ottawa has Hoberg. There’s no real indication that Demko will be substantially better than Hoberg maybe if Demko was more proven, but to date they have very similar stats with Hoberg doing it on a much worse team.  I doubt a rebuilding Ottawa would have interest in taking on Eriksson and giving up assets for a goalie that isn’t a clear upgrade on what they already have 

2 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Ottawa has Hoberg. There’s no real indication that Demko will be substantially better than Hoberg maybe if Demko was more proven, but to date they have very similar stats with Hoberg doing it on a much worse team.  I doubt a rebuilding Ottawa would have interest in taking on Eriksson and giving up assets for a goalie that isn’t a clear upgrade on what they already have 

Usually I'd agree, but Melnyk is so cheap that Loui's contract would be appealing to them.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

That’s only appealing if they are having trouble hitting the cap floor. They were well above it this season. 

Yeah in addition, how hard is it to sign a guy in free agency that is a 4th line winger who’s declining and over 30 years old (turns 35 in a few months) for around a million or two million?  LE is *STILL* due a bonus payment of THREE million in the final year of his retirement deal (making him STILL a 4 million dollar man - Melnyk would have a stroke :lol:).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

A possible way to move on from LE and his $6 million cap hit

This trade happens after LE bonus is paid out in July I believe and his NTC turns to a Modified NTC

Vancouver trades

- Louie Ericksson

- Thatcher Demko

Vancouver does this trade because;

(1) opens up $6 million in cap room to help resign Markstrom, Tanev, Virtanen, Gaudette and try to resign Toffoli

(2) get some mid round draft picks to help restock the prospect pool 

(3) DiPietro will most likely be ready to take the backup job within the next two seasons and is ranked higher then Demko by some scouts

Ottawa trades 

2021 3rd and 4th round draft picks 

Ottawa does this trade because; 

(1) get their goalie of the future that has shown he can play in the NHL 

(2) LE’s cap hit is $6 million but his actual salary is only $4 million ($1 million base salary/$3 million bonus) to help bring them past the cap floor as they have only $39 million in cap space on the books for 2020-2021 but Ottawa would only be paying LE $1 million after Vancouver pays his bonus money in July. 

(3) All of Ottawa’s goalie prospects are no where near Demko’s caliber and at least 3-4 years away from playing in the NHL

(4) Demko is still on his rookie contract and adds more cost control for Ottawa

I can’t wait to hear people rip this trade apart

YOU STOLE MY IDEA!!!!!!!!!  

But yeah.........I do like your proposal.   

Definitely makes sense if Eriksson isn’t planning to retire.

Although you stole my idea. ;)

• Cheers 1

why ?

just because the laffs paid a huge price to move a bad contract

you think the nucks should do the same?

why exactly?

nucks can manage their cap issues without doing that

the market was unique last off season due to almost no salary cap increase

people assume market conditions are always the same

and all teams are in the same position in terms of cap pressure

this is so over the top and not necessary

trade a goalie who the team has been developing for 4 years now

and it almost ready to challenge for a starter position

accept it

loui's contract is not the issue for this team

that many think

we can ride it out if necessary

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Sadly,  after what Boston just paid to unload Backy, I think we're gonna have to, as you say, "ride it out".

not sure i agree that the boston trade sets that sort of standard

who was the best player in that deal ?

what did boston really trade as a kicker? (30 or 31st pick in the 1st round?  almost a 2nd rounder)

boston got value, they got the best player, a solid player, over paid a bit in terms of a hockey trade, to dump a contract

nothing at all like what laffs did to dump their contract

Edited by coastal.view

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

why ?

just because the laffs paid a huge price to move a bad contract

you think the nucks should do the same?

why exactly?

nucks can manage their cap issues without doing that

the market was unique last off season due to almost no salary cap increase

people assume market conditions are always the same

and all teams are in the same position in terms of cap pressure

this is so over the top and not necessary

trade a goalie who the team has been developing for 4 years now

and it almost ready to challenge for a starter position

accept it

loui's contract is not the issue for this team

that many think

we can ride it out if necessary

I can’t see the Canucks “riding it out” as $6 million would be either Tanev or Toffoli being resigned and I can’t see them just sitting and not doing anything with LE in the summer When that cap space is badly needed. Also to give up only a 3rd and 4th picks to get a highly rated goalie with only having to pick up LE for 2 more seasons of $8 million of actual salary left ($5 million left after his bonus is due in July) but a cap hit of $12 million and this is exactly the coupon clipping type mentality that the Senators use in running their team. Hoberg isn’t the same level of goalie prospect and has not had the same amount of seasoning and playing time in the NHL that Demko has had and is only up with Ottawa because of Nilsson’s injury. 
This is the only way to get rid of LE $6 million cap hit as only Ottawa has the cap room and the need for a young goalie and would not care about losing 3rd and 4th round picks, plus Ottawa has seen how LE has played with Horvat on the second line and takes a chance of seeing if he can play like that on their 2nd line with all of Ottawa’s UFA’s this offseason, I mean LE can’t be worse then Boedeker and Ennis that are both gone after this year.

3 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Yeah in addition, how hard is it to sign a guy in free agency that is a 4th line winger who’s declining and over 30 years old (turns 35 in a few months) for around a million or two million?  LE is *STILL* due a bonus payment of THREE million in the final year of his retirement deal (making him STILL a 4 million dollar man - Melnyk would have a stroke :lol:).

No you have it backwards If you see the picture below LE has a base salary of $3 million and $1 million signing bonus in his last year, like I said Ottawa is getting $12 million in cap space but only having to pay $5 million for the last 2 years after his signing bonus is payed in July by Vancouver. 

9B2B91F2-8F55-4FD1-B5A7-03409A0B9F3E.jpeg

27 minutes ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

I can’t see the Canucks “riding it out” as $6 million would be either Tanev or Toffoli being resigned and I can’t see them just sitting and not doing anything with LE in the summer When that cap space is badly needed. Also to give up only a 3rd and 4th picks to get a highly rated goalie with only having to pick up LE for 2 more seasons of $8 million of actual salary left ($5 million left after his bonus is due in July) but a cap hit of $12 million and this is exactly the coupon clipping type mentality that the Senators use in running their team. Hoberg isn’t the same level of goalie prospect and has not had the same amount of seasoning and playing time in the NHL that Demko has had and is only up with Ottawa because of Nilsson’s injury. 
This is the only way to get rid of LE $6 million cap hit as only Ottawa has the cap room and the need for a young goalie and would not care about losing 3rd and 4th round picks, plus Ottawa has seen how LE has played with Horvat on the second line and takes a chance of seeing if he can play like that on their 2nd line with all of Ottawa’s UFA’s this offseason, I mean LE can’t be worse then Boedeker and Ennis that are both gone after this year.

you realize if the team eats up all the cap space next season on signing players to longer term contracts

they in fact will create a problem for the following season to sign ep40 and hughes?

they need expiring contracts as the end of next season

or the ability to buy loui out the following season

loui provides a cap hold to ensure we have money to resign our core pieces

from now on all new deals have to be made with some connection to resigning hughes and ep40

right now the team is in good shape

what you seem to propose will in fact create a problem 2 years down the road

there is no need to move loui now (and pay assets to do that)

you seem to not have a broad enough picture on how the cap works

particularly for this team

Edited by coastal.view

14 minutes ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

No you have it backwards If you see the picture below LE has a base salary of $3 million and $1 million signing bonus in his last year, like I said Ottawa is getting $12 million in cap space but only having to pay $5 million for the last 2 years after his signing bonus is payed in July by Vancouver. 

9B2B91F2-8F55-4FD1-B5A7-03409A0B9F3E.jpeg

Sens aren’t a cap floor team though so it’s irrelevant how much in salary LE actually is.  He’ll be a 35 year old well past his prime player (no better than a 4th line winger right now).  Sure their owner is cheap but you can easily get to the cap floor by signing players who are decent.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

you realize if the team eats up all the cap space next season on signing players to longer term contracts

they in fact will create a problem for the following season to sign ep40 and hughes?

they need expiring contracts as the end of next season

or the ability to buy loui out the following season

loui provides a cap hold to ensure we have money to resign our core pieces

from now on all new deals have to be made with some connection to resigning hughes and ep40

right now the team is in good shape

what you seem to propose will in fact create a problem 2 years down the road

there is no need to move loui now

you seem to not have a broad enough picture on how the cap works

particularly for this team

Petersson can be signed to a long term deal this summer and by my calculations it will be a 8 year deal in the $80-$90 million dollars on the low end and that’s fine because down the line you will have Podkolzin and Hoglander playing on their rookie deals as well as Rathbone so no need to say the sky is falling when the Canucks are in great shape for the future cap and if you are going to resign Tanev and Markstrom and Toffoli they will not resign for less then 4 year deals. Don’t forget Luongo’s $3 million cap recapture penalty comes off the books in 2021-2022 too and we have no idea how high the cap is going to go up when Hughes signs his 8 year deal. 

9 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Sens aren’t a cap floor team though so it’s irrelevant how much in salary LE actually is.  He’ll be a 35 year old well past his prime player (no better than a 4th line winger right now).  Sure their owner is cheap but you can easily get to the cap floor by signing players who are decent.

You do realize that Ottawa has $11 million in cap space being used that is only on paper with Callahan, Gaborik and MacArthur all of them are not playing anymore and Ottawa is not paying them anything anymore and are just using them to get above the cap floor and after this season Ottawa loses $8 million in cap space to Callahan and MacArthur contracts coming off the books so it says that Ottawa is at $72 million but they are in reality paying under the salary cap floor specifically with Bobby Ryan being in treatment program this season. I really don’t think you get how cheap their owner is, every time he opens his wallet it makes a creaking sound. 

5660FFE0-22B6-4EF9-AFFF-705504FCD7DC.jpeg

12 minutes ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

You do realize that Ottawa has $11 million in cap space being used that is only on paper with Callahan, Gaborik and MacArthur all of them are not playing anymore and Ottawa is not paying them anything anymore and are just using them to get above the cap floor and after this season Ottawa loses $8 million in cap space to Callahan and MacArthur contracts coming off the books so it says that Ottawa is at $72 million but they are in reality paying under the salary cap floor specifically with Bobby Ryan being in treatment program this season. I really don’t think you get how cheap their owner is, every time he opens his wallet it makes a creaking sound. 

5660FFE0-22B6-4EF9-AFFF-705504FCD7DC.jpeg

We need LE to have a type of Hossa condition that prevents him from playing but still being covered by insurance.  Melnyk would be all over that like a pig in mud.