The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

benning has said

Rate this topic

smithers joe

1 hour ago, DarkIndianRises said:

I think the Canucks will sign Toffoli, and will use one of Boeser or Virtanen to try and recoup the 1st round pick lost in the Miller deal.    

Stecher will get Ben Huttoned.

Leivo will walk the plank.

Baertschi and Sutter will be moved at the end of the Summer at 50% retention.

Eriksson will retire or will get packed with Demko.

Unlike some on here I do agree that there is a distinct possibility we trade Virtanen or Boeser, I personally think this hinges on a couple things though.

1.) Toffoli resigning

2.) Getting Podz out of his KHL contract to play 2020/2021 season in the NHL

3.) Vancouver is offered a deal they cannot refuse. Would have to be something like Top 6 Player/Top 2 D, A+ Prospect and a 1st round pick

Chances of this happening are slim this deadline or offseason, next offseason however totally different story with Podz coming in

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

Honestly, I'm fully expecting Edler to sign at least one more contract before he retires. I think he'll be one of those D who plays well into his late 30's. I think it'll be for less than 6m too. 

He really seems to enjoy being on a team on the rise again, I see him sticking around for the ride a while longer to see what happens. 

Just now, Coconuts said:

Honestly, I'm fully expecting Edler to sign at least one more contract before he retires. I think he'll be one of those D who plays well into his late 30's. I think it'll be for less than 6m too. 

He really seems to enjoy being on a team on the rise again, I see him sticking around for the ride a while longer to see what happens. 

Yup, easily see him signing progressively cheaper 1'ish year contracts for at least one more go.

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yup, easily see him signing progressively cheaper 1'ish year contracts for at least one more go.

Definitely. It'll be a sad day when he retires, he's the last piece on the team from those mid/late 2000's Canucks teams I watched when I finally got a good grasp of the game. Tanev's here too, but he came along later. 

I would have been 10-14 when the WCE was at it's peak and while I enjoyed hockey and the EA games I was too young to care the same way. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, bree2 said:

Boeser will be back on the 1st line and if Toffoli signs , he will be on the second with Bo and Pearson, Jake will be on the 3rd. we are not keeping some players at the end of the season, and finding a replacement for Edler , is not for another year, he makes 6 mil so that would open up 6 mil, and by that time some of our prospects should be ready to replace him

That’s all well and good, but I’d need to see a plan as to how the Canucks would manage their cap going forward.   Does Ferland retire?  Does Eriksson retire or get moved with a sweetner like Demko?   Do we move on from both Tanev and Stecher? (Replaced by Tryamkin and Stecher).    How do the Canucks clear enough cap space to sign Pettersson and Hughes in the Summer of 2021?

1 minute ago, DarkIndianRises said:

That’s all well and good, but I’d need to see a plan as to how the Canucks would manage their cap going forward.   Does Ferland retire?  Does Eriksson retire or get moved with a sweetner like Demko?   Do we move on from both Tanev and Stecher? (Replaced by Tryamkin and Stecher).    How do the Canucks clear enough cap space to sign Pettersson and Hughes in the Summer of 2021?

1 minute ago, DarkIndianRises said:

It’s Marky, Tanev, and Tofu who are the big three UFAs we would like to resign.  That means Loui, and Sutter, and Baer have to go.  To dump those three guys will cost us our future in prospects and picks.  How did we get into this horrific circumstance, where it will cost us our future to keep our future?  Totally insane. 

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Trading BB for a first is complete waste.   Three years later MAYBE we'd get a BB back - ridiculous- just like Boston trading Hamilton for a first.  

I think using Boston is a poor example

Boston is the polar oppposite of Vancouver with respect to falling in love with players and keeping them too long.

which is to say Vancouver does and Boston does not

Boston is leading the league and have traded (players still playing) J.Thornton, Kessell, Seguin, Hamilton, Lucic, Boychuck, Wheeler

That is a better team than Vancouver has right now, and they don't always hit a home run with the picks they have garnered,

but they do not dwell on the mistakes (Thornton) they just move on and keep winning

Vancouver has made some good trades over the years, Butcher, Linden, Bertuzzi, Sundstrom, Stojanov, but the fans always seem to worry the next trade is the next Neely deal 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

It’s Marky, Tanev, and Tofu who are the big three UFAs we would like to resign.  That means Loui, and Sutter, and Baer have to go.  To dump those three guys will cost us our future in prospects and picks.  How did we get into this horrific circumstance, where it will cost us our future to keep our future?  Totally insane. 

I think Benning and management has a stronger plan than many are giving credit for, but time will tell obviously.

1) I think Eriksson either retires or get moved with Demko (who we risk losing to expansion anyways).

2) I think Baertschi and Sutter will get moved at the end of the summer at 50% retention (once teams sign all of their major players and are looking for small adds).  

That’s what I suspect will happen, but who knows.    I know people don’t want to hear this, but I also suspect that if the Canucks sign Toffoli to a 5 year deal, they’ll look at moving Boeser or Virtanen to recoup the first lost in the Miller deal).

4 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Why would Ferland retire?  He's not going to give up his gauranteed money - maybe he will spend the entire contract on the injured repair list if that's what you mean by retirement.   

Demko isnt close enough to move LE.  With the ED looming there isn't a team in the league  that would take the gamble of protecting him instead of what they already have.   He won't be going anywhere.    Yes we could definitely be moving on from one of Tanev or Stetcher.  Maybe even both but I doubt it.   Yes the Canucks move enough cap space.  EP and Hughes are the top level of guys we have.   Followed by Miller, Horvat and BB.   All of which are on reasonable to good contracts for what they bring to the table.

Look for more trades that give up futures and picks to download othed vets if the cap space is needed.   The IF comes down to LE and Bear.  

18 minutes ago, IBatch said:

With the ED looming there isn't a team in the league  that would take the gamble of protecting him instead of what they already have.  

Teams with old/expiring starters sure would. There's a good few teams who would happily protect Demko.

Edited by aGENT

15 minutes ago, lmm said:

I think using Boston is a poor example

Boston is the polar oppposite of Vancouver with respect to falling in love with players and keeping them too long.

which is to say Vancouver does and Boston does not

Boston is leading the league and have traded (players still playing) J.Thornton, Kessell, Seguin, Hamilton, Lucic, Boychuck, Wheeler

That is a better team than Vancouver has right now, and they don't always hit a home run with the picks they have garnered,

but they do not dwell on the mistakes (Thornton) they just move on and keep winning

Vancouver has made some good trades over the years, Butcher, Linden, Bertuzzi, Sundstrom, Stojanov, but the fans always seem to worry the next trade is the next Neely deal 

I would agree with you, Neely trade burned us badly and set us back for years to come.  Had Neely stayed and developed into he was, playing with Bure could have made us a cup contender in 1992 rather than just a good team.  Quinn was going to draft Bure anyways regardless of which round.   I do not think fans should panic every time a prospect is traded away because this was one in a million chance of burning us that badly.  I do not think that the odd will burn us again when we have other stacked prospects pool that is worth keeping when compared to 80s prospect pool.   Chances of our prospect are very good players are high with the way they are playing at the moment that will translate into NHL game.   Madden is just a blip on the radar and I feel that TT trade is necessary when Boeser is out for weeks.   

• Cheers 2

53 minutes ago, Alflives said:

EP and Hughes moved everything up one, maybe even two years.   JB will make the best of it.   It's a good problem to have.  Much better then not having them and instead decent picks that won't be stars.   I get the perplexities - we do have them - but it's going to be alright. 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

A few.  Maybe.   Detroit to name one, maybe OTT too.  But not many. 

Bruins. Halak expiring this year, Rask the year after (year of ED).

Nashville, both goalies expire at ED.

Minnesota  Dubnyk expiring at ED

That's the first three I came across with about one minute of research lol

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

EP and Hughes moved everything up one, maybe even two years.   JB will make the best of it.   It's a good problem to have.  Much better then not having them and instead decent picks that won't be stars.   I get the perplexities - we do have them - but it's going to be alright. 

Alright for now, yes.  But we are going to have to give up prospects and picks, which means signings average UFAs to fill the support roles again.  I was hoping our prospects would be the ones filling those support roles.  We will be better with young and hungry guys filling support roles.  I’d rather have them at 1 mil per than guys like Schaller for 2 mil per.  It’s like we are in some kind of vicious cycle.  

1 hour ago, coolboarder said:

I would agree with you, Neely trade burned us badly and set us back for years to come.  Had Neely stayed and developed into he was, playing with Bure could have made us a cup contender in 1992 rather than just a good team.  Quinn was going to draft Bure anyways regardless of which round.   I do not think fans should panic every time a prospect is traded away because this was one in a million chance of burning us that badly.  I do not think that the odd will burn us again when we have other stacked prospects pool that is worth keeping when compared to 80s prospect pool.   Chances of our prospect are very good players are high with the way they are playing at the moment that will translate into NHL game.   Madden is just a blip on the radar and I feel that TT trade is necessary when Boeser is out for weeks.   

Neely is a top five all-time burn - same with Stajanov but the other way.   There is a lot of room between a HHOFer let go too early or three time first all-star by position and the Madden the trade ...  agree with BB out this trade made a lot of sense and the price was fair (initially I didn't like it at all - an hour or so later I saw BB wasn't coming back so it made sense - ideally if the season went differently we'd wouldn't have had to make the trade but it is what it is).  The trade shows management has the teams back and won't give up on them this season. 

That said our pool does need to support the highs end talent and expensive UFAs we will need to plug holes.   We can't buy our into contention - nobody can.   And our pool isn't a top five or even top ten one anymore.   Middling at best.  And that was before Madden was traded. 

43 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Bruins. Halak expiring this year, Rask the year after (year of ED).

Nashville, both goalies expire at ED.

Minnesota  Dubnyk expiring at ED

That's the first three I came across with about one minute of research lol

And Demko doesn't crack the top thirty yet...a lot could happen in a year,  but I highly doubt any team that's not purposefully trying to tank trades for Demko and protects him...he's a back-up at this point. 

Edited by IBatch

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

And Demko doesn't crack the top fifty yet...a lot could happen in a year,  but I highly doubt any team that's not purposefully trying to tank trades for Demko and protects him...

I think you're missing the point here...

Demko doesn't need to be top 50 and teams don't have to be 'tanking' for him to be of value to them and worth protection.

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

One thing JB is good at is coming out of nowhere with a deal that media wasn't aware of before hand and surprising us.   

The LE angle has been beaten to death - one of the things discussed will inevitably happen - maybe he retires - if not he's going to Utica next year and maybe used as a call up.   The cost to move him will be too high for a while yet.   

TT agent will be pushing hard for the best deal he can get.   Best guess is 5 x 5 or around 25 million on the high end, 20 on the low end.   We might be the team to do it which likely would mean the end of JV on the team.

Ferland might be in Robidas island.   That money actually will come in handy - plus Schallers should be enough for Markstrom and whomever plays in Stechers and Tanevs spot.   Think one of Tanev or Stetcher  will be gone..maybe even both.    

This....

half the posts on CDC last year was about how Benning didn’t have a clue with the Cap, and we were in deep dodo....

Well turned out he did, and we weren’t, so while it’ll be interesting to see, which moves are being made, I have no doubt Benning and crew have the fingers on the pulse, and will be able to make the necessary moves. 
The LE issue they can’t do much about without LE being interested. So until they know his plans (or they already have a ‘gentleman’ agreement) most of the other main moves are up in the air. 

From the original list I think only Marky, Gauds, MacEwan are safe to be seen next year.  Maybe Motte as well.

Think there are no guarantees, we see any combination of the rest again, together with Sutter and Roussel. 
Room has to be made for at least a few more players if Benning speak the truth. 

Would also like to see a bit more of Toffoli, before suggesting they commit to a 5-6 year contract.  

• Cheers 1