The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Another Boeser Deal(Discussion)

18 minutes ago, mll said:

Look at their roster.  It makes too much sense.  For years they have been lamenting not having appropriate Cs.  Guerin is not going to start his GM tenure by lying to fans.

Fenton got fired also for his lack of communication with fans and media.  You don’t have to disclose who you are talking to but a GM can perfectly admit the obvious. Top 6C is a major issue in Minnesota.

Benning is pretty transparent on what he is looking to add.  He talked of adding top-6 wingers and did just that.

OK, you've made some good points but one thing you're forgetting is that Minny could get their 1C if they traded for Brock.  Why, because they would now be able to trade assets (not Brock) for that 1C.  To quote you:  "The Wild have wingers and some exciting ones coming at that."  With Boeser in their line-up, they would be able to trade one or two of those exciting wingers to get that 1C.

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

He's a "core"..he's "part of the CORE"..media tires me. Is the team a F***ing MacIntosh or Granny Smith?!

Sorry, they might lose Jacob, Tanev or others due to a lack of cap. Some pieces will be shuffled out, & some puzzle can get snapped in. THEN there's the added variable of an approaching ED. You think that might make picks/ELC's a touch more attractive, in relation to established vets(or assets that must be listed)?! Yeah..figure it just mmmight.

Anywho we must all see the team's got pretty nice depth for offensive weapons(& more in the pipeline); whereas it's a little less impressive on the blueline(& in toughness/PO grit). Therefore I figure we need to transfer some of that O-power to guarding our own. It'll be interesting to see how Gent Jim plots this out...

Virtanen was 6th overall.  He is still working on piecing things together some 6 years after being drafted.  Pettersson and Hughes are up and running.  Goldobin is a 1st round pick that is already out of the league.

Button, Pronman and Wheeler all had Madden as the Canucks’ 3rd best prospect on their respective draft rankings.  A Boeser replacement might not be in the pipeline past Podkolzin and Hoglander and who knows how many years away they are.

The guys you should be thinking of moving out to create cap is not Boeser.  It’s the support players.  As young players get better they don’t need the same level of babysitting.  Horvat has already played more NHL minutes in his career than Beagle.  Benning believes MacEwen is close to being a full time NHLer - do you really need Roussel.  Isn’t it overkill to have both Sutter/Beagle when Horvat takes on the larger matchup role already. 

Dumba is not the right target if you are looking to protect the net.  Defensively he can be a real adventure.  

24 minutes ago, mll said:

Look at their roster.  It makes too much sense.  For years they have been lamenting not having appropriate Cs.  Guerin is not going to start his GM tenure by lying to fans.

Fenton got fired also for his lack of communication with fans and media.  You don’t have to disclose who you are talking to but a GM can perfectly admit the obvious. Top 6C is a major issue in Minnesota.

Benning is pretty transparent on what he is looking to add.  He talked of adding top-6 wingers and did just that.

Yes, fair points.

Thinking of your statement on Minny needs, I wonder if they & OTT might do draft day/summer biz? OTT should have a whack of young C's, & could perhaps take an onerous contract from Guerin(w/ goodies thrown in for incentive).

So, I'm not going to advocate for or against trading Boeser, but I would be open to moving him. Every day, there's another Trade Boeser thread, most are completely unrealistic.

Let's ask this, what would it TAKE to convince fans and Benning to move him at this point.

I'm looking at the team and thinking the following;

#1. Toffoli has slid very easily into Boesers spot on the wing with Pettersson and Miller and is a proven 20 goal scorer when he's not playing with Pettersson. If we could resign Toffoli for roughly Boeser money, say 6 million per, for me, that opens options.

#2. Boeser has lost significant number of games each of the last 3 seasons and that kind of makes me a little nervous about his long-term durability. This combined with the fact that he's dealing with family health issues at home with his dad, makes me wonder how much he would welcome a trade that put him much closer to home. 

#3. We need to have enough depth and enough young talent rolling through the team to ensure longevity and ability to balance performance and cap. Considering how tight the cap is for the next couple of years, it might be helpful if we could turn a 5.875 million cap hit, back into a 925k cap hit for a couple of years.

So, with those things in mind, what type of package would fans want to see? If you're Benning, what would make you consider moving Boeser closer to his parents?

Again, just curious, not advocating. Personally, I'm open to it, but ONLY in the right overall deal.

5 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

So, I'm not going to advocate for or against trading Boeser, but I would be open to moving him. Every day, there's another Trade Boeser thread, most are completely unrealistic.

Let's ask this, what would it TAKE to convince fans and Benning to move him at this point.

I'm looking at the team and thinking the following;

#1. Toffoli has slid very easily into Boesers spot on the wing with Pettersson and Miller and is a proven 20 goal scorer when he's not playing with Pettersson. If we could resign Toffoli for roughly Boeser money, say 6 million per, for me, that opens options.

#2. Boeser has lost significant number of games each of the last 3 seasons and that kind of makes me a little nervous about his long-term durability. This combined with the fact that he's dealing with family health issues at home with his dad, makes me wonder how much he would welcome a trade that put him much closer to home. 

#3. We need to have enough depth and enough young talent rolling through the team to ensure longevity and ability to balance performance and cap. Considering how tight the cap is for the next couple of years, it might be helpful if we could turn a 5.875 million cap hit, back into a 925k cap hit for a couple of years.

So, with those things in mind, what type of package would fans want to see? If you're Benning, what would make you consider moving Boeser closer to his parents?

Again, just curious, not advocating. Personally, I'm open to it, but ONLY in the right overall deal.

so getting thrown into the bench door his fault, so getting hit in the ribs is his fault. those same injuries would put a lot of guys out.  I love that Toffoli is so far working out, and Miller is too. but both of these players have been in the league for several years, so in 4 years both will be in their 30's and could even slow down, Boeser  will be just 27 and in his prime. Miller has been great but I find he wants to do it all on his own.  next we will be saying Petey and Boeser should be traded  for two players making 925 k cap hit.  we don't need to worry about the cap hits, Benning and company are being paid to do that. we should just enjoy the players we have 

1 hour ago, bree2 said:

so getting thrown into the bench door his fault, so getting hit in the ribs is his fault. those same injuries would put a lot of guys out.  I love that Toffoli is so far working out, and Miller is too. but both of these players have been in the league for several years, so in 4 years both will be in their 30's and could even slow down, Boeser  will be just 27 and in his prime. Miller has been great but I find he wants to do it all on his own.  next we will be saying Petey and Boeser should be traded  for two players making 925 k cap hit.  we don't need to worry about the cap hits, Benning and company are being paid to do that. we should just enjoy the players we have 

This has nothing to do with fault or anything else. If you read my post, again, I'm not advocating for trading him. I'm just asking if you're Benning, what would it take to convince you to make a deal.

When you're building a team, you have to be willing to look at different options that will make your team better, and take emotion out of the decision and look at how a move affects your overall team, not just now, but for the next few years.

Willingness to make the "right" move when needed, often sets teams up for future success for years to come.

Trading Linden to NYI sucked, but that trade led directly to the success that we had in the early 2000's. It brought us Bertuzzi, McCabe and Ruutu. All of whom became key parts of our team and in the case of McCabe, was a key part of the trading that Burke pulled off to land the Sedins here and set us up for a cup run in 2011.

So, getting back to my question and taking emotion out of the picture for a few minutes, what WOULD it take to move him. Not because we want to or have to, but if someone gave us an offer that made it really hard to refuse.

Let me ask it this way. At the draft this summer, Minnesota approaches Benning and offers their First Round Pick and Jordan Greenway for Boeser, what's your answer, @bree2

Edited by VegasCanuck
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

This has nothing to do with fault or anything else. If you read my post, again, I'm not advocating for trading him. I'm just asking if you're Benning, what would it take to convince you to make a deal.

When you're building a team, you have to be willing to look at different options that will make your team better, and take emotion out of the decision and look at how a move affects your overall team, not just now, but for the next few years.

Willingness to make the "right" move when needed, often sets teams up for future success for years to come.

Trading Linden to NYI sucked, but that trade led directly to the success that we had in the early 2000's. It brought us Bertuzzi, McCabe and Ruutu. All of whom became key parts of our team and in the case of McCabe, was a key part of the trading that Burke pulled off to land the Sedins here and set us up for a cup run in 2011.

So, getting back to my question and taking emotion out of the picture for a few minutes, what WOULD it take to move him. Not because we want to or have to, but if someone gave us an offer that made it really hard to refuse.

Let me ask it this way. At the draft this summer, Minnesota approaches Benning and offers their First Round Pick and Jordan Greenway for Boeser, what's your answer, @bree2

Benning would be a moron to take that offer.  Boeser is a young core player, who has elite skills, is high compete, and weighs 200 plus pounds.  Minnesota has nothing we would even consider for Boeser.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Benning would be a moron to take that offer.  Boeser is a young core player, who has elite skills, is high compete, and weighs 200 plus pounds.  Minnesota has nothing we would even consider for Boeser.  

I think I'd want more for him as well, Alf, I'm just asking the question of, what it would take for us to trade him.

I mean, we're NOT!! ??

But for sake of discussion and speculation (which is what we all love to do on here), what would it take to move him? Minnesota is just one team, there are a number of them out there who would love to have someone who can shoot like he does.

We keep seeing unrealistic trade proposals posted for Boeser, Since this specific discussion thread exists, I'm trying to figure out what fans think it WOULD take to pry him from Vancouver.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think I'd want more for him as well, Alf, I'm just asking the question of, what it would take for us to trade him.

I mean, we're NOT!! ??

But for sake of discussion and speculation (which is what we all love to do on here), what would it take to move him? Minnesota is just one team, there are a number of them out there who would love to have someone who can shoot like he does.

We keep seeing unrealistic trade proposals posted for Boeser, Since this specific discussion thread exists, I'm trying to figure out what fans think it WOULD take to pry him from Vancouver.

If Geurin can publicly say he will only trade Dumbo if the return is a young number one centre then JB could say he will only trade 

Boeser for Hiskanen or Dahlin.  Bess is too important to our team’s young core to move fir anything less than a young core player. 

Minnisota hasn’t got any player of the quality (and age) the Canucks would expect in return for Bess. 

Just now, Alflives said:

If Geurin can publicly say he will only trade Dumbo if the return is a young number one centre then JB could say he will only trade 

Boeser for Hiskanen or Dahlin.  Bess is too important to our team’s young core to move fir anything less than a young core player. 

Minnisota hasn’t got any player of the quality (and age) the Canucks would expect in return for Bess. 

I think that type of player would have to be at the center of a trade as well. It would have to be something that absolutely was a slam home right for us.

• Like 1

Recent hits on EP(BroonGoons), Domi on QH..Brock took some of those, back when he was really sniping too. Our lighter D have been run frequently, over the yrs. Skinny guys like Sutter try to get even with witty wisecracks in scrum(IF they stick around).

Greenway, MacEwen, Tryamkin, Bo, Miller, then add a couple more(like Pod)...

A lineup like that would be the nuclear-deterent. We need big, abrasive players to protect our younger, smaller/lighter skill. We NEEEEEEEEEEEEEED a pack mentality. I'm sick of this sh*t.

Doesn't necessarily have to be this particular guy. Build a big, fast, cohesive crew. You run our stars..we'll run yours.

3 hours ago, bree2 said:

bree2 you are hilarious. 

Most of us know that any talk of trading Brock will bring your wrath,

but no one except you is tallking about "fault"

Was it the Sedin's fault that they got old and needed to retire?

Is it Ferland's  fault that he has head injuries?

Why are you talking about fault?

2 weeks ago you were down on Jakeboy and now you are down on Miller.

You must be happy Jake is slumping. Does it validate your trashing him?

And now Miller tries to do it on his own when his mate frustrate him, you might want to look at our captain,who's game is centered on doing it on his own, but he never takes minutes from your precious Brock, so I guess he is off your radar. 

1 hour ago, Moose Nuckle said:

Exactly, and no other GM would pay the price so this whole discussion is moot. 

Remember, not all GM's are completely sane. They sometimes do strange and impulsive things....

But, again, the question that I posed wasn't, "Would they", it was, if you're Benning, what deal would make you look hard at accepting it.

37 minutes ago, lmm said:

bree2 you are hilarious. 

Most of us know that any talk of trading Brock will bring your wrath,

but no one except you is tallking about "fault"

Was it the Sedin's fault that they got old and needed to retire?

Is it Ferland's  fault that he has head injuries?

Why are you talking about fault?

2 weeks ago you were down on Jakeboy and now you are down on Miller.

You must be happy Jake is slumping. Does it validate your trashing him?

And now Miller tries to do it on his own when his mate frustrate him, you might want to look at our captain,who's game is centered on doing it on his own, but he never takes minutes from your precious Brock, so I guess he is off your radar. 

get over yourself, I was not the only one down on JAKE ,  all you do is babble on  how I am wrong about everything ,as for fault , what is the first thing people say about Brock, INJURIES!!!  READ AND COMPREHEND, I am not down on Miller at all he is awesome but   I would like him to use his line mates more. you are actually the hilarious one!!!!

Edited by bree2

3 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

no!!!

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, bree2 said:

get over yourself, I was not the only one down on JAKE ,  all you do is babble on  how I am wrong about everything ,as for fault , what is the first thing people say about Brock, INJURIES!!!  READ AND COMPREHEND, I am not down on Miller at all he is awesome but I would like  I would like him to use his line mates more. you are actually the hilarious one!!!!

Not so. I dis-agree with you on your unvavering support of Brock over all others

but I also agree with you on other points sometimes. Why just last week  I gave you a Huggy Bear.

INJURIES do not equate to fault.

I remember when Brock flew into the open door, I probably was not the only one who thought it very well could have been a career ending injury.

It turns out it was not career ending, but may well have been career threatening or career limiting.

Brock also has a wrist injury, I do not reall when that happened, but it did.

I see no reason to lay blame for that either, it just is. 

Brock has been unlucky in his hockey career .

You say you are not down on Miller, but your earlier statement sure sounded like you were.

Iam not sure what it is you want me to READ AND COMPREHEND, everything I have read from you regarding Brock Boeser leads me to believe you have rose coloured glass' where he is concerned. 

1 hour ago, lmm said:

Not so. I dis-agree with you on your unvavering support of Brock over all others

but I also agree with you on other points sometimes. Why just last week  I gave you a Huggy Bear.

INJURIES do not equate to fault.

I remember when Brock flew into the open door, I probably was not the only one who thought it very well could have been a career ending injury.

It turns out it was not career ending, but may well have been career threatening or career limiting.

Brock also has a wrist injury, I do not reall when that happened, but it did.

I see no reason to lay blame for that either, it just is. 

Brock has been unlucky in his hockey career .

You say you are not down on Miller, but your earlier statement sure sounded like you were.

Iam not sure what it is you want me to READ AND COMPREHEND, everything I have read from you regarding Brock Boeser leads me to believe you have rose coloured glass' where he is concerned. 

what I said about Miller has nothing to do with Bess, I actually think Miller is a great player and we are lucky to have him, saying I think he needs to use his line mates more  is just how I feel. sometimes I feel he likes to do it on his own. as for Jake,  I have said before I like him but he still needs seasoning. its been 5 years but I still don't want to trade him. Toffoli has played awesome, exciting player.  but Pettersson, Boeser and Hughes are mine and my families favourites.  I am sure you have favourites too. but on a whole I don't care who scores on the team  it could be Rousell or Ericksson, I would just cheer for our team!

• Huggy Bear 1

51 minutes ago, bree2 said:

what I said about Miller has nothing to do with Bess, I actually think Miller is a great player and we are lucky to have him, saying I think he needs to use his line mates more  is just how I feel. sometimes I feel he likes to do it on his own. as for Jake,  I have said before I like him but he still needs seasoning. its been 5 years but I still don't want to trade him. Toffoli has played awesome, exciting player.  but Pettersson, Boeser and Hughes are mine and my families favourites.  I am sure you have favourites too. but on a whole I don't care who scores on the team  it could be Rousell or Ericksson, I would just cheer for our team!

that is true

I sometimes yell at my TV "_Jakeboy___________ (pick any player who has the puck or is on the ice) do something good"

I don't care who it is, if they suit up I want them to play well and be rewarded

but most often its Jakeboy who'se name I yell,, followed by Rooster and Louigi

ps you know I like bugging you because you make me laugh

and when Brock does something good, I think of you jumping up and down and strutting like a mamma hen

Edited by lmm
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lmm said:

that is true

I sometimes yell at my TV "_Jakeboy___________ (pick any player who has the puck or is on the ice) do something good"

I don't care who it is, if they suit up I want them to play well and be rewarded

but most often its Jakeboy who'se name I yell,, followed by Rooster and Louigi

ps you know I like bugging you because you make me laugh

and when Brock does something good, I think of you jumping up and down and strutting like a mamma hen

ha ha I do , I am a mamma hen, my family including my  11 grandkids get a kick out me watching and talking everything Canucks to them. I am just an old granny who loves my Canucks!

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1