The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Toffoli: Analyzing His Style Of Play (and Why Teams Will Covet Him On July 1st)

Rate this topic

TrickOfShapes

12 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

yes but the cap hit stays with us, thats the issue

I’m pretty sure if LE retires, his contract and cap hit come off the books, he wasn’t over 35 when he signed the deal.

It is a big IF to assume he will walk away after he gets his signing bonus this summer. The team (Jim Benning) may know more about his plans, but we can’t count on him retiring this summer. 

In my opinion Tanev doesn’t deserve more than $5 million, he’s injury prone and doesn’t add much offence. Just cause he stays healthy one year (knock on wood) doesn’t mean he deserves a big extension, if he wants more let him walk.

Toffoli is a 50 point player over the course of his career, he hasn’t come close to matching his career high of 58 since he signed his last deal. He shouldn’t get that much of raise but he’s a free agent, so he will get one. I could see him getting $5-$5.5 for 3-5 years.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

its not cap recapture its actual cap. Its not like Luongos retirement as Loui is not over 35. Bonus money counts to the cap as is. if he gets 3 million its 3 million to the cap. his salary for the year would be saved.

Just looking through recapture stuff. Only applies to contracts more than 6 years so it doesn't apply to loui

There would be recapture as the structure of the cap vs moneies earned is what creates the recapture

Eriksson has been paid 5 million more than the cap accrued, there will be a penalty applied to account for that difference.

When contracts are bought out the signing bonuses plays a much larger part in the fees, if Eriksson is bought out it saves around 2 million.

Recapture would be 1.5 for 2 years because as is including his bonus he's been paid 3 million more than the cap value for the same amount of time

Buyout would be 5.6, 3.6 .6 and .6 

Also the 35 year old thing applies at the time of signing and has nothing to do with luongo's recapture

Edited by Wanless
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

If you are making a trade. Are GM's allowed to talk to the agent and ask long term, if things go well with the team would he seriously consider a new contract with the new team?

Have to say yes, Stone signed immediately with Vegas last TDL

• Thanks 1

Im all for keeping Toffoli, but what kind of term, cap hit and NTC protection is he going to want?

Also, if we sign him, does Jake ask for a move as he would see himself blocked from ever playing top 6 RW minutes for us. That goal he scored off the LEFT side was nice and sure would be nice to see him play his DRAFT position of LW. Would like to see him get a proper chance to try the LW out with the Canucks

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

Would like to see him get a proper chance to try the LW out with the Canucks

Going to be tough, with Hoglander possibly taking a spot in a couple of years. And with Lind and Podkolzin also in the system, I'm not sure what their plan for Jake is.

I'm hoping they can re-sign Toffoli. He's definitely another weapon. Not sure how they'd do that, possibly trade Boeser? Find a team to take Loui and Sutter?

Edited by NUCKER67

7 hours ago, Wanless said:

I get the feeling that Toffoli is a winner and wants to win. He looks happy out there.

Some players would prefer to be in a winning culture and grow with an up and coming team. At 27 he has 3-4 more solid years of prime hockey, but being quite smart and his lack of injuries I could see him having a similar curve as Bergeron and just keep on getting better.

A 6x5.5-6 mil contract would be a good deal for the team, though he likely could get up to 7 on the open market.

We'll have to see what happens with the roster, but if the team can unload Baertschi and Rousell without retaining any salary Toffoli can be signed for 6 

Based on cap moving up to 83 mil from 81.5

Toffoli 6x6

Tanev 4.5x4

Tryamkin 2.5x1

Virtanen 2.5x2

Gaudette 2x2

Motte 1.2x2

Mac 900x2

And Markstrom at 6x4

Leaves 1 million in space

Takes into account 3 million for bonuses

This also then leaves 8.6 million the following season with Sutter off the books to resign Hughes Petey and Pearson. Hughes will have no rights like Boeser this season and Pearson will be pushing 30 with players pushing him out of the top six and likely to sign as a third liner or been moved on from with Hoglander and podz coming in.

The following year Eriksson is done when Boeser will have his raise.

I have this feeling that we'll enjoy this team for 3 years before the turnover by numbers game starts to happen. 

If I was Jim Benning I would be signing Tofolli very soon after season ends....5 yrs x 5.8 million

Trade Boser as Toffoli  can replace Boser....Toffoli is a goal scorer and much better along boards then Boser..

Boser trade -- Dumba 26 or Severson 25 -- both these  solid # 2 D man  -- prospect also added in deal..  

Virtanen - keeper big power forward every playoff team needs... 4 yrs 3.5 after his 20 goal season...

Leivo - 1.8 x 2yrs show me deal..

Gaudette - 2.0 x 2 yrs show me more deal...

Sutter or Beagle trade one please = Sutter is always injured so try and trade for 3rd rounder..

McEwen - 6'4 - one way deal 950,000 x2 yrs show me more deal solid gritty guy with speed..NHL ready

Motte? Like his style but decision time...

Very exciting times again and future is very bright...Solid playoff team.. Might  win a few rounds if they play there game with hot Markstrom..

Then trade Stetcher -- replace with Rafferty...... Stetcher for 2nd  rounder 

Maybe trade Demko if management have decided to go with Markstrom...  Return late 1st rounder and prospect...

Tanev trade only if we have signed a Dumba or Severson..... Just feel Tanev could return to injury again sometime very soon..

Edited by wildcam
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, wildcam said:

If I was Jim Benning I would be signing Tofolli very soon after season ends....5 yrs x 5.8 million

Trade Boser as Toffoli  can replace Boser....Toffoli is a goal scorer and much better along boards then Boser..

Boser trade -- Dumba 26 or Severson 25 -- both these  solid # 2 D man  -- prospect also added in deal..  

Virtanen - keeper big power forward every playoff team needs... 4 yrs 3.5 after his 20 goal season...

Leivo - 1.8 x 2yrs show me deal..

Gaudette - 2.0 x 2 yrs show me more deal...

Sutter or Beagle trade one please = Sutter is always injured so try and trade for 3rd rounder..

McEwen - 6'4 - one way deal 950,000 x2 yrs show me more deal solid gritty guy with speed..NHL ready

Motte? Like his style but decision time...

Very exciting times again and future is very bright...Solid playoff team.. Might  win a few rounds if they play there game with hot Markstrom..

Then trade Stetcher -- replace with Rafferty...... Stetcher for 2nd  rounder 

Maybe trade Demko if management have decided to go with Markstrom...  Return late 1st rounder and prospect...

Tanev trade only if we have signed a Dumba or Severson..... Just fell Tanev could return to injury again sometime very soon..

If we were to trade Boeser, I'd be trying to pry Seth Jones from Columbus or another top defender on a team that needs more firepower. I say Jones because they have Werenski aswell

Even if it was Boeser and a first.

I don't think it would be worth it to trade for Dumba. He's on the smaller side and plays a heavy game so will likely wear down. Also not being a legit 1 there will be dmen of the caliber coming up in free agency

Wife works for the Dodgers. Anaheim calling?

https://twitter.com/catbtoffoli

As to style of play, I was watching the highlights of all his goals for the last 2 years and yes, he reminds me of an older Boeser. Good backhander, knows how to score, nice cut to the inside move. He did win the OHL scoring title one year. Since he started under Sutter, presumably he's decent defensively.

Edited by rizzuto&hatoum

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Sure they can.  If Loui does retire and they can get Sutter off the books and possibly Baertschi then they can make it work and even re-sign Markstrom.  Not sure about Tanev.  At this point I'd re-sign Toffoli before Tanev.  Toffoli completes the top line and frees up Brock to play with BO.  Hopefully Tryamkin can replace Tanev to some degree.

Time to start a GoFundMe that would pay Loui the remainder of his contract if he retires.

Canucks should try and keep Toffoli over Brock for the following reasons:

1) Toffoli has a better all around game.  He’s better defensively, is more physical, and can also play center if need be.

2) Toffoli, given his age, would be more likely to sign a longer term deal at a relatively decent cap hit.   Toffoli should be able to be had between 6 and 7 million for 5 years.   During that time, Toffoli will still likely be the player that he is today.   With Brock, one od two things will happen.   He will either continue to be a one dimensional, slow skating, defensively challenged player that can only snipe playing alongside Pettersson and Horvat, OR he will go back to being the dominant sniper that he was 2 seasons ago.....and if he does in fact do that, will likely command a HUGE pay raise when his contract expires (given his relatively young age, and given the fact that his current bridge deal is supposed to be a team oriented cap friendly deal with the expectation that he’ll get paid big time at a later date).

For these reasons, I’d opt to go with Toffoli instead of Brock if it had to come down to that.    Toffoli is a more well rounded player and can be signed to a longer term deal at a relatively cap friendly deal (ie he won’t break bank like Mark Stone and Mitch Marner did).

• Like 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, philtbc829 said:

I wish the Nucks could afford this guy but they won't be able to unless they unload some salaries....LE, Baer, Goldy, to start with.....sadly TT is an expensive rental at this stage... :(

1) Sign Toffoli.

2) Trade Brock for a 1st rounder and a good prospect.

3) Trade both Sutter and Baertschi at 50% retention.

4) Eriksson hopefully retires (or is used with Demko as a sweetener).

• Like 1
  • Wat 1

1 hour ago, Wanless said:

If we were to trade Boeser, I'd be trying to pry Seth Jones from Columbus or another top defender on a team that needs more firepower. I say Jones because they have Werenski aswell

Even if it was Boeser and a first.

I don't think it would be worth it to trade for Dumba. He's on the smaller side and plays a heavy game so will likely wear down. Also not being a legit 1 there will be dmen of the caliber coming up in free agency

I don't mind that Seth Jones is  #1 D man for sure... 

We have to unload a winger and I just feel Boser will get a decent return..

Really like Tofolli for next 4 years..... Plays tougher then Boser..

3 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I don't mind that Seth Jones is  #1 D man for sure... 

We have to unload a winger and I just feel Boser will get a decent return..

Really like Tofolli for next 4 years..... Plays tougher then Boser..

Boeser would be very easy to move

But I would also really like to see him stay with the group on Horvats wing if Benning can ship out a couple costly contracts