The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Toffoli: Analyzing His Style Of Play (and Why Teams Will Covet Him On July 1st)

Rate this topic

TrickOfShapes

2 minutes ago, Wanless said:

Boeser would be very easy to move

But I would also really like to see him stay with the group on Horvats wing if Benning can ship out a couple costly contracts

Look what it cost Toronto to get out of bad contract..1st rounder to Carolina...

Can't see Benning doing this...

9 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Look what it cost Toronto to get out of bad contract..1st rounder to Carolina...

Can't see Benning doing this...

I've accepted that we are keeping Eriksson

I'm hoping Rousell and Baertschi can be moved freeing up 5 million, which I'm sure is possible without it being too painful

20 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I wonder if all of this "trade Boeser" crap will be as persistent when Toffoli isn't averaging 2 PPG as a Canuck any more. 

It’s not just Toffoli’s point totals.   The guy plays a smart two way game, is reasonably physical, and can play center if need be.   In many ways, he’s like another JT Miller.

I love Boeser, but the Canucks would be able to get a 1st AND a good prospect in return for him.    

5 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

It’s not just Toffoli’s point totals.   The guy plays a smart two way game, is reasonably physical, and can play center if need be.   In many ways, he’s like another JT Miller.

I love Boeser, but the Canucks would be able to get a 1st AND a good prospect in return for him.    

So two question marks for a near PPG 22 year old player. Hard pass. 

• Thanks 3

24 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Freed up cap space to re-sign Pettersson and Hughes.

That would be a hefty price.  EP and Hughes will command quite a lot no doubt, but we should have the space bar a crazy season for one or both next year - and even sign TT.   Between the two you take the younger player (BB).  Hopefully JB has some tricks up his sleeve..

• Cheers 2

I like TT, but this talk of giving up Boeser is crazy talk to me. He is a heart and soul guy for us, imo.

Not only do we need a far larger sample size to see how TT works with this team long-term, we also don't know what Benning has up his sleeve in regards to the cap space issue. I still have this feeling he has a plan for getting LE off the books, making it possible to keep both.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, wildcam said:

If I was Jim Benning I would be signing Tofolli very soon after season ends....5 yrs x 5.8 million

Trade Boser as Toffoli  can replace Boser....Toffoli is a goal scorer and much better along boards then Boser..

Boser trade -- Dumba 26 or Severson 25 -- both these  solid # 2 D man  -- prospect also added in deal..  

Virtanen - keeper big power forward every playoff team needs... 4 yrs 3.5 after his 20 goal season...

Leivo - 1.8 x 2yrs show me deal..

Gaudette - 2.0 x 2 yrs show me more deal...

Sutter or Beagle trade one please = Sutter is always injured so try and trade for 3rd rounder..

McEwen - 6'4 - one way deal 950,000 x2 yrs show me more deal solid gritty guy with speed..NHL ready

Motte? Like his style but decision time...

Very exciting times again and future is very bright...Solid playoff team.. Might  win a few rounds if they play there game with hot Markstrom..

Then trade Stetcher -- replace with Rafferty...... Stetcher for 2nd  rounder 

Maybe trade Demko if management have decided to go with Markstrom...  Return late 1st rounder and prospect...

Tanev trade only if we have signed a Dumba or Severson..... Just feel Tanev could return to injury again sometime very soon..

I stopped reading afterwards "trade Boser" 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Wanless said:

I get the feeling that Toffoli is a winner and wants to win. He looks happy out there.

Some players would prefer to be in a winning culture and grow with an up and coming team. At 27 he has 3-4 more solid years of prime hockey, but being quite smart and his lack of injuries I could see him having a similar curve as Bergeron and just keep on getting better.

A 6x5.5-6 mil contract would be a good deal for the team, though he likely could get up to 7 on the open market.

We'll have to see what happens with the roster, but if the team can unload Baertschi and Rousell without retaining any salary Toffoli can be signed for 6 

Based on cap moving up to 83 mil from 81.5

Toffoli 6x6

Tanev 4.5x4

Tryamkin 2.5x1

Virtanen 2.5x2

Gaudette 2x2

Motte 1.2x2

Mac 900x2

And Markstrom at 6x4

Leaves 1 million in space

Takes into account 3 million for bonuses

This also then leaves 8.6 million the following season with Sutter off the books to resign Hughes Petey and Pearson. Hughes will have no rights like Boeser this season and Pearson will be pushing 30 with players pushing him out of the top six and likely to sign as a third liner or been moved on from with Hoglander and podz coming in.

The following year Eriksson is done when Boeser will have his raise.

I have this feeling that we'll enjoy this team for 3 years before the turnover by numbers game starts to happen. 

You're over paying Toffoli 

Tanev underpaid 

Tryamkin underpaid 

Gaudette underpaid

Virtanen  underpaid 

Add about 2 mill after taking 500k/1mil off toffoli 

1 hour ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

You're over paying Toffoli 

Tanev underpaid 

Tryamkin underpaid 

Gaudette underpaid

Virtanen  underpaid 

Add about 2 mill after taking 500k/1mil off toffoli 

Agreed. The salaries are too low for everyone except Marky and Toffoli.

Also OP - you have missed something because when I punch your resignings into Capfriendly for next season, I get a cap hit total of $81m. Maybe you have missed the Luongo recapture penalty or something? (please note: I assumed Stecher is not resigned, have used Rafferty as 7D since he is only signed for $700k, and have assumed Ferland is on LTIR so salary is not included in the $81m).

If the cap goes up to $83m (and that is a big IF from what I have read) this actually leaves only $2m of space in 2020/21 for performance bonus overages from 2019/20. These may be more like $4.7m.

To me this means that it will not be enough to just move Baer and Roussel. In order to resign our most important UFA/RFAs and cover up to $4.7m in bonuses overages next season, we will need to move Baer, Eriksson, Sutter.

I sure hope JB has a plan!

5 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Agreed. The salaries are too low for everyone except Marky and Toffoli.

Also OP - you have missed something because when I punch your resignings into Capfriendly for next season, I get a cap hit total of $81m. Maybe you have missed the Luongo recapture penalty or something? (please note: I assumed Stecher is not resigned, have used Rafferty as 7D since he is only signed for $700k, and have assumed Ferland is on LTIR so salary is not included in the $81m).

If the cap goes up to $83m (and that is a big IF from what I have read) this actually leaves only $2m of space in 2020/21 for performance bonus overages from 2019/20. These may be more like $4.7m.

To me this means that it will not be enough to just move Baer and Roussel. In order to resign our most important UFA/RFAs and cover up to $4.7m in bonuses overages next season, we will need to move Baer, Eriksson, Sutter.

I sure hope JB has a plan!

If you're responding to me. Cap friendly automatically includes the Spooner buyout cost Luongo recapture and 3 million on bonus overages

Assuming the cap goes up 1.5 million is not much considering it went from 78-81.5 over last summer.

Ferland is the only question mark and if he came back there could be an issue.

As for tanev being too low look at his injury history, he should not get more than that because you can't tie that much I to an injury prone player. 

Virtanen, love the kid, but he needs to be consistent to get up into the 3.5-4 range

Gaudette is in the same boat as Virtanen

Tryamkin can pound sand if he wants more than 3 pairing money before proving anything

Stetcher walks

Performance bonus overages are able to carry over to the following year. This year's are paid out next year. Next year's will be paid out the following year

Edited by Wanless

I’m not sure why people are saying we should trade Bock Boeser.  He is young and is continuing to show improvement/growth in his game.  I like Toffoli and what he brings, but Brock is projecting as a better player.

Toffoli has broken 50 points once in his NHL career.  Brock has started his career at mid fifty points and has a higher ceiling as he learns the game.  Toffoli brings a great defensive element and a heavy game which I think will play well on the second line with Bo and Pearson.  Let Brock play his game with Miller and Pettersson and we have two top lines in the NHL for years to come!

Toffoli points in his 7 NHL seasons:

38 current

Boeser in his first 3 NHL seasons:

45 current

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2