The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Devils trade Louis Domingue to Canucks for Zane McIntyre

4 minutes ago, Sean83 said:

This is catastrophic and most likely playoff-chances ending news.

Feel your pain.

We could've added a bunch of the big names this TDL & we wouldn't have been a cup contender though. We just aren't there yet. Markstrom going down doesn't cost us the cup, tho potentially playoffs.

Good thing we have a solid backup. Maybe Demko won't be able to steal games like Marky (or atleast as many) but it will come down to how they play around him. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Just wait until we add Tryamkin and maybe even Rathbone at the tail end of the season. "Free" assets due to good drafting by JB and crew.

We needed a veteran backup to keep DiPietro marinating in the AHL. Domingue is pretty solid behind a decent team. We are a far cry from NJD level, so I think he will be a decent backup as long as our goal scoring continues to be strong in front of him.

Tryamkin is a BIG IF at the moment and Rathbone is a decent bottom 6 D man. by not doing anything with either Stetcher or Tanev means that potentially both could walk at seasons end and Nucks will get nothing. They certainly can't afford both at the end of the season. JB's Cap dance will be interesting to watch....perhaps a massive deal at the draft? Would he move Brock and Jake to free up space to sign TT? 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Surprised to see this trade. There were no reports beforehand about Markström’s knee injury. Does this affect contractual negotiations? How does his knee hold up as Markström ages? Deal has to be in the 3-4 year range now. If he’s asking for anything more than that. Let him walk. Huge risk for the organization to tie itself to a goaltender with an injury like this. Hopefully it’s not serious. 

Probably intentional. Benning would be trading from a position of weakness if other teams knew that he desperately needed a backup goalie.

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, philtbc829 said:

Tryamkin is a BIG IF at the moment and Rathbone is a decent bottom 6 D man. by not doing anything with either Stetcher or Tanev means that potentially both could walk at seasons end and Nucks will get nothing. They certainly can't afford both at the end of the season. JB's Cap dance will be interesting to watch....perhaps a massive deal at the draft? Would he move Brock and Jake to free up space to sign TT? 

Over-reaction in my view. There are a lot of ways to shed cap without jettisoning our better players, 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

See this might be a good situation just think about this...

DEMKO gets to run with the ball the next 3-4 weeks just know hes been a starter his entire career and might get hot with a big workload if this happens and he gets hot markys backing up demko in the first round (look what matt murray did to fluery in pitts) if it works like this markys gone next season which =5-7 mill cap saved for resigning our other core players BUT..

only in a perfect canucks world 

16 minutes ago, philtbc829 said:

So you're suggesting that we should've moved Tanev and Stecher? How's that going to help our defense? We could add other players, but it simply negates whatever we add from trading those two.

Benning doesn't seem to be too worried about the cap and seemingly has a plan in place. The rest of his plan seems to be coming together nicely, so I think he's got a handle on this. He even projected that we didn't have as much cap space as it seems when we had like 20+ million in cap space. He didn't take cap dumps for picks and continued to progress the team in a positive manner.

We will worry about the offseason when it comes, right now the focus is on the playoffs. Whatever Rathbone may be, he will be depth. Tryamkin may be an if, but I think the odds of him coming over are higher than him not. It's clear that you're viewing things in an empty half glass manner though, so it doesn't surprise me that you think the Tryamkin "if" is leaning towards him not coming and thus no progress. I suspect the lack of a move actually leans more towards trusting our depth and maybe expecting some late additions.

• Cheers 2

This was not the discussion I was hoping to have today. It was supposed to be about Stecher being traded, and maybe Baerstchi. About bringing in an upgrade on D and having that excitment that we are for real! EDM and VGK have made moves, and with the standings being so tight, a losing streak punts us out. Now they have to hitch their hopes on Demko's shoulders, I hope he's up to the task.     

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Probably intentional. Benning would be trading from a position of weakness if other teams knew that he desperately needed a backup goalie.

Same thing happened when the Boeser news came out after the Toffoli trade. LA likely squeezes us if they knew Boeser was out long term.

Benning is doing a decent job being proactive and adapting to what is needed for the team without being hindered too much by making swift moves and getting good value.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1