The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Devils trade Louis Domingue to Canucks for Zane McIntyre

17 minutes ago, sonoman said:

I would definitely not want Marky in Cowtown 

no doubt. Its just not in the teams control, if Marky wants to listen to offers. We could easily be outbid, but if Demko shows he's ready then it could be a blessing. I really hope we find a way to keep both Marky and Demko tho. But with Marky's UFA status and Seattle there's some things out of Jim's control. 

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

no doubt. Its just not in the teams control, if Marky wants to listen to offers. We could easily be outbid, but if Demko shows he's ready then it could be a blessing. I really hope we find a way to keep both Marky and Demko tho. But with Marky's UFA status and Seattle there's some things out of Jim's control. 

My prediction all season was if Marky performs like he did the latter half of last season he will be resigned to a 4-5 year deal and if the Canucks felt highly about Dipietro which I think they do, Demko will be dealt near the draft and the Canucks will recoup some picks. It only makes sense. I think Demko’s camp wants to be put in a position to push for a starters job and that’s not gonna happen here with Marky. He’s simply too good. If Demmer performs well here down the stretch the Canucks are in a good position to recoup that 1st and 2nd round pick in the upcoming draft. 

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Pickly said:

My prediction all season was if Marky performs like he did the latter half of last season he will be resigned to a 4-5 year deal and if the Canucks felt highly about Dipietro which I think they do, Demko will be dealt near the draft and the Canucks will recoup some picks. It only makes sense. I think Demko’s camp wants to be put in a position to push for a starters job and that’s not gonna happen here with Marky. He’s simply too good. If Demmer performs well here down the stretch the Canucks are in a good position to recoup that 1st and 2nd round pick in the upcoming draft. 

yup, thats very possible too. I see good options all over the place on this. Heck Domingue could be showcasing himself to backup Marky for next year too. Mikey D needs another year in Utica. 

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I've warmed up to the idea of Domingue getting some games. I think Clark has shown he can improve just about anyone. 

Why did NJ do us this favor? McIntyre lost his starting job in Utica to a rookie... he's no where close. 

Part of a GM relationship, maybe a future favour is in the works (a 3rd rounder instead of a 4th rounder in a future deal).

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Actually they did.  They played a left wing lock, which is the best for keeping other teams from getting good possession in your zone.  

90s left wing lock?  That’s a old 90s system

Edited by HockeyHarry
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pickly said:

I agree, but I think it would be next deadline, or right before the ED.  They're in no rush to move on from a great tandem

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

I agree, but I think it would be next deadline, or right before the ED.  They're in no rush to move on from a great tandem

As seen this season and plenty of other seasons, you can't have enough quality goalie depth. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I've warmed up to the idea of Domingue getting some games. I think Clark has shown he can improve just about anyone. 

Why did NJ do us this favor? McIntyre lost his starting job in Utica to a rookie... he's no where close. 

That's what everyone has been wondering. The only thing that seems to be the selilng point is contract dollars. Approx 1.1 mil for Louis and Zane was 700 k. So some salary savings? That's about it that I can tell.

5 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

That's what everyone has been wondering. The only thing that seems to be the selilng point is contract dollars. Approx 1.1 mil for Louis and Zane was 700 k. So some salary savings? That's about it that I can tell.

I wonder if it was also a favour from NJ to Domingue to give him a chance to showcase himself. He’d been demoted, this gives him a chance to play some NHL games this year and show what he can do after a relatively unsuccessful stint with a poor NJ team earlier this year. 

Just now, Sean Monahan said:

I wonder if it was also a favour from NJ to Domingue to give him a chance to showcase himself. He’d been demoted, this gives him a chance to play some NHL games this year and show what he can do after a relatively unsuccessful stint with a poor NJ team earlier this year. 

Could be, just like JB did a solid to Gagne to get him back into the NHL. I really like LD as a goalie. He was always good when he played against us in Arizona. Really happy that Clark likes what he sees in him.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Why is this move seen as a favour?

How about just a good ol hockey deal... goalie for goalie. 

Over analyzing third string/depth chart goalie trades... 

So, it was 1 for 1 swap of Zane Macintyre and Louis Domingue.

Both are ufa at seasons end, Domingue clearly the better tender.

The goalies they currently have are Blackwood, Schneider, Senn, Cormier and Macintyre.

It's a mix of several things, njd save cap, Louis should have been up with NJD instead of Scneider, Domingue likely requested a move to try and earn a contract for next year, NJD get to send Macintyre to the ECHL and can run with Cormier and Senn in Binghamton.

Really don't like the timing of Marky's injury as I see getting into the playoffs as the only prio this season, the result once there doesn't matter. That said, I'm happy GMJB didn't give up anything long term at the TDL and you can put a positive spin on this... Demko gets a chance to prove himself, Marky comes back rested and motivated for the playoffs ;-)