The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Devils trade Louis Domingue to Canucks for Zane McIntyre

On 2/25/2020 at 12:07 PM, c00kies said:

Part of a GM relationship, maybe a future favour is in the works (a 3rd rounder instead of a 4th rounder in a future deal).

A lot of ppl asking why NJD did us a solid.

GMs have relations. JB will pay back in kind next time Tom Fitzgerald or NJD are in a bind. 

5 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

A lot of ppl asking why NJD did us a solid.

GMs have relations. JB will pay back in kind next time Tom Fitzgerald or NJD are in a bind. 

GMs don't generally block a guys path back to the NHL either, in this case it wasn't a big deal to move LD from a roster perspective. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

GMs don't generally block a guys path back to the NHL either, in this case it wasn't a big deal to move LD from a roster perspective. 

This is part of the equation as well. Agents and players notice these things when a GM helps a player to get back in the show.

JB did this with Biega by sending him to DET so he can play in NHL.

Just now, WHL rocks said:

This is part of the equation as well. Agents and players notice these things when a GM helps a player to get back in the show.

JB did this with Biega by sending him to DET so he can play in NHL.

yup. I'd say the way Gagner was treated was along these lines as well, despite him complaining about it. It was good of Jim to loan him to Toronto to be close to his family. 

Jim's been trying hard to find Baer a spot as well. I'm a little surprise no one wants him for free, seems strange to me. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yup. I'd say the way Gagner was treated was along these lines as well, despite him complaining about it. It was good of Jim to loan him to Toronto to be close to his family. 

Jim's been trying hard to find Baer a spot as well. I'm a little surprise no one wants him for free, seems strange to me. 

Probably due to the cap hit and the fact he was signed on for another year. Teams might look at that cap and decide to try their luck at FA before considering a player like Baer. Ottawa/Devils/Ducks are teams who might be open to take these sort of players though during a rebuild.

The Canucks definitely weren't afraid to do so and took chances on project players during their rebuild.

Edited by Junkyard Dog

27 yrs old with a long body. Exactly what Ian Clark likes in a goalie. Depending on how things unfold in summer this guy could be our backup next season. And he'll be cheap. 1 mill per for 2 yrs. 

After working with Clark for rest of this season, playoffs, summer and camp for next season LD can get his game back. Clark does wonders with goalies, Luongo, Bobs and Marky have all made huge gains under Clark's coaching. He completely re invented Marky and made him elite.

LD was pretty good backup in TBL. It will be interesting to see what happens over the summer.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Probably due to the cap hit and the fact he was signed on for another year. Teams might look at that cap and decide to try their luck at FA before considering a player like Baer. Ottawa/Devils/Ducks are teams who might be open to take these sort of players though during a rebuild.

The Canucks definitely weren't afraid to do so and took chances on project players during their rebuild.

well, Baer's been a class act through all this, so maybe someone will take him at the draft, my guess is Jim would do it for "future considerations" 

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

With his concussions history, soft play and high cap hit I wouldn't take him either. It'll be a trade of bad contracts or he'll be bought out in summer.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

well, Baer's been a class act through all this, so maybe someone will take him at the draft, my guess is Jim would do it for "future considerations" 

I would say better chance of a deal happening after the first couple days of FA. Teams might miss out on the player they want and circle back to Baer. Like I said though non-playoff teams will look at him regardless. Project players that come cheap are good pickups for them. He has a decent year he then becomes a deadline asset which helps their rebuild.

3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I would say better chance of a deal happening after the first couple days of FA. Teams might miss out on the player they want and circle back to Baer. Like I said though non-playoff teams will look at him regardless. Project players that come cheap are good pickups for them. He has a decent year he then becomes a deadline asset which helps their rebuild.

JB might be able to move him in summer. His cap hit is $3.66 mill but actual salary is $2.4 mill next season.

A cap floor team might take a chance. Maybe JB sends a 4th or 5th round pick as sweetener.

Just now, WHL rocks said:

JB might be able to move him in summer. His cap hit is $3.66 mill but actual salary is $2.4 mill next season.

A cap floor team might take a chance. Maybe JB sends a 4th or 5th round pick as sweetener.

That's what I am thinking. Pros outweigh the cons for rebuilding teams. He has a decent year then he becomes a TD asset for more picks.

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

That's what I am thinking. Pros outweigh the cons for rebuilding teams. He has a decent year then he becomes a TD asset for more picks.

I highly doubt a playoff bound team would want him at tdl. He's soft and head injuries history. Not playoff type player.

We'll see I guess. Lets see what happens in summer. As long as JB can move him and get rid of cap hit it'll be good with me.

2 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Like this season there will probably be no cap floor teams.  Even Ottawa should have no trouble reaching the floor next season. 

The floor is 60M and CapFriendly has every team finishing at 72M or above this season.  Ottawa projects to finish at 74M with 19M in LTIR but 7.5M of LTIR remains into next season and Chabot is starting his 8M contract.  They are some 20M short of the floor with 15 players to sign to reach a roster of 23.  Their RFAs are likely getting raises.

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 1