The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Injury to Markstrom Might Spark Team Identity

Rate this topic

MikeyD

45 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

The team has become far too reliant on a Hart caliber display of goaltending, with the idea that shots from the perimeter and a collapse defensive structure is going to be the safest way of playing defense with a good goaltender between the pipes even though many times it has looked abysmal in actually limiting high danger chances. I'd hope the coaching staff will realize that with a cold backup who hasn't had enough games this season to gain any consistent rhythm is going to need a tighter unit in front of their goaltender if we're going to survive Markstrom's injury and hold our place in the standings. 

Sadly, I don't see them changing the structure / system at all. There have been a few tweaks along the way, but the passive box is their system and it seems to work well enough when the puck side player actually hustles and pressures the puck, limiting the the opposition's time and space. 

The system really sucks when that puck side player sits back into PK style coverage and gives the carrier all the time in the world to do whatever the &^@# they want whilst his teammates skate routes into soft spots and open ice.

45 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

If we are lucky, we are going to finally get a look at a good defensive crew on paper and hopefully apply that to an in-game tactic that will finally gel our defensive zone play to the point of where we don't become so reliant on great goaltending and we will begin to play more of a possession/puck retrieval game as opposed to a passive counter-attacking style. When this team plays well, they play aggressively and take time and space away, but when the team plays poorly (typically on the road) we see a more relaxed structure. If we can trigger consistency out of desperation on our back end we may finally get to see the consistency in the true potential of the team similar to the beginning of the season where the team was far more aggressive. 

All and all, the team needs to continue with the exact things you've pointed out which has given them success.

We have to expect that Demko will not be able to steal games at the frequency Marky has, but he's proven to be capable enough to hold them in games and it will be up to the team to outscore their defensive issues.

Hopefully we can go .500 with Marky out. If they can play above that number it will show that Demko should have gotten more games up to Marky's injury, Ian Clark is a god and we're very solid in net moving forward.

All that said, I have zero faith in Baumer and don't believe he's capable of adjusting the defense to compensate for a weaker goalie while still giving the team a chance to win.

It's gut check time. Big month coming. I have faith Demko is up to the task.

• Cheers 3

Just now, wesley said:

Could Canucks still miss playoffs because of this? I am a bit worried.

They could miss the playoffs with Marky in net, they could miss the playoffs with any goalie in net 

They could make the playoffs with any goalie in net

We don't live in the the world of could we live in a word of what happens 

6 minutes ago, wesley said:

Could Canucks still miss playoffs because of this? I am a bit worried.

If we make the playoffs with Demko in net you can't say we would have with Marky in net

Same goes the opposite 

If we don't make the playoffs with Demko you can't say that we would with Marky 

Well people will say it but nobody can know for sure

• Wat 1

1 minute ago, Brad Marchand said:

Benning put his faith in the players they have today. It's up to them to prove him right.

I think they've earned that this year.  It said a lot, to me, about the dressing room when the guy they went after already has a close relationship with one of the veteran leaders.  JB went for the best player who would disrupt the dressing the least.  

These guys are tight, they want to win together.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

If Demko lets in a bad goal people will say Marky could have stop that

My response is 

Marky wouldn't have to make that same save cause the games will turn out completely different with different goalies in net, 

We only get to have one reality 

I don't think so.  He's already proven that he can flat out steal games and it's not like TG chose him over Marky.

44 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Marky's injury is the best thing to happen for this team not in the short term but in the long term.

It either drives his cost down (knee injuries to goaltenders can have long lasting effects)

Or

Demko proves we don't need Marky and Managment let's Marky walk

best thing to happen to this team ?   nice way to support marky and the team  ,we wouldn't be even in a playoff spot with out marky  , you know he stole 8 games this season  16 points , .      I don't know of any so called fans that  would wish an injury on one of the best players going into the playoff race , I guess you are more concerned with an individual rather than the overall  team  success  

well I guess it is demko hands now   and I hope you know demko had knee problems  too , so I hope you get your wish  and demko stands on his head  because we are gonna need it 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, the grinder said:

best thing to happen to this team ?   nice way to support marky and the team  ,we wouldn't be even in a playoff spot with out marky  , you know he stole 8 games this season  16 points , .      I don't know of any so called fans that  would wish an injury on one of the best players going into the playoff race , I guess you are more concerned with an individual rather than the overall  team  success  

well I guess it is demko hands now   and I hope you know demko had knee problems  too , so I hope you get your wish  and demko stands on his head  because we are gonna need it 

You just like I have no idea what the out come of the games would have been with Demko instead of Marky in net for those games 

it won't matter who's in net unless they play 60mins every game of the road trip.. we are notoriously slow starters especially on the road where we are one of 2 playoff team that have a losing record and requires our goalie to stand on their head to keep them in it till they decide to show up. how we do in march will all depend on how hard Green will ride demko.. if he plays him 14 of the 16 games we might be in trouble as i don't think demko is ready to handle that work load all of a sudden.

Just now, Arrow 1983 said:

You just like I have no idea what the out come of the games would have been with Demko instead of Marky in net for those games 

the out come is markstrom stole those 8 games  , just to compare tukka rask has stolen one game this season ,  even if demko stole 4 games we wouldn't be in a playoff position  

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, the grinder said:

the out come is markstrom stole those 8 games  , just to compare tukka rask has stolen one game this season ,  even if demko stole 4 games we wouldn't be in a playoff position  

Marky has sh@t the bed in games to we don't know what the out comes would have been if Demko played all the games that Marky did

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

While true, you cannot pretend like Demko would have put up the numbers that Marky has. They're just not statistically in the same ballpark this season. While I hope that Demko steals some games for us, pretending he'll be as good or better than Marky is a bit of a pipe dream. One that I hope comes true, but acknowledge it likely will not.

• Thanks 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, Fateless said:

While true, you cannot pretend like Demko would have put up the numbers that Marky has. They're just not statistically in the same ballpark this season. While I hope that Demko steals some games for us, pretending he'll be as good or better than Marky is a bit of a pipe dream. One that I hope comes true, but acknowledge it likely will not.

Marky is one part of a whole team, 

So yes the team with Demko in net can still have posted a similar record