The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trade Deadline Discussion thread

Rate this topic

Toyotasfan

37 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

When can Toffoli be extended? can that happen anytime or is there a date the team has to wait for? it would be nice if that could get done and solidify the F group for a few years. 

Any time.  Tofu is a pure rental though.  We would need to dump Loui, Sutter, and Baer to make room for Tofu.  

20 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Any time.  Tofu is a pure rental though.  We would need to dump Loui, Sutter, and Baer to make room for Tofu.  

If we buy out Baer and Sutter (saves 3.9 mil of cap), and let Stech, Leivo and Fantenberg walk, we can probably just squeak through and re-sign everyone else currently on the team, other than Tanev. I'm assuming we are replacing Stechers salary with Tryamkins. 

So if thats how it goes, does adding in Tryamkin and Raffety replace Tanev? certainly changes the dynamic back there.

The way I see it, if we can't shed Loui we lose Tanev. But I think we shed Loui, I think he retires post-bonus. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

If we buy out Baer and Sutter (saves 3.9 mil of cap), and let Stech, Leivo and Fantenberg walk, we can probably just squeak through and re-sign everyone else currently on the team, other than Tanev. I'm assuming we are replacing Stechers salary with Tryamkins. 

So if thats how it goes, does adding in Tryamkin and Raffety replace Tanev? certainly changes the dynamic back there.

The way I see it, if we can't shed Loui we lose Tanev. But I think we shed Loui, I think he retires post-bonus. 

I think we can go over the cap by 10% in the summer, but have to be cap compliant (and including the guys on LTI) by opening night next October.  JB and his cap experts are going to be busy.  

Just now, Alflives said:

I think we can go over the cap by 10% in the summer, but have to be cap compliant (and including the guys on LTI) by opening night next October.  JB and his cap experts are going to be busy.  

I think they will be. i never considered the option of buying out Sutter and Bear, but it does make some nice room for Toffoli. Not all of it, but a lot.

I guess if there's a CBA extension this year we may get phenomenally lucky with a compliance buyout again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

When can Toffoli be extended? can that happen anytime or is there a date the team has to wait for? it would be nice if that could get done and solidify the F group for a few years. 

Players on multiple year contracts can be extended as of 1 July a year ahead of free agency.  Players on single year contracts can be extended as of 1 January - 6 months ahead of free agency.  There are tagging rules though so that can delay the announcement. 

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Multiple year contracts can be extended as of 1 July.  Single year contracts as of 1 January.  There are tagging rules though so that can delay the announcement. 

What?  We can’t extend our own players to multi year contracts until they become UFA’s July 1?

That’s wrong.  We can extend any of our guys, who are in their last year of a contract, to long term deals.  

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What?  We can’t extend our own players to multi year contracts until they become UFA’s July 1?

That’s wrong.  We can extend any of our guys, who are in their last year of a contract, to long term deals.  

1 July a year ahead of free agency.   I'll reword to make it clearer.

Edited by mll

30 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Off-season cap space is calculated differently than regular season cap space.  In the off-season every player under contract is back on the team's roster.  

Players on 1-way contracts count at their full cap hit.  Players on two-way deals count at the pro-rata of the time they spent on the NHL roster the previous season.  RFAs count at the pro-rata of their time on their roster at their qualifying offer.  

9 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

With all the talk over the summer of how far ahead the Leafs and Rangers are in their rebuild over the Canucks, does this trade deadline prove that to be wrong?

I feel like the Leafs are now in perpetual mediocre mode and the Rangers, well I'm not really sure since I don't follow them.  

Leafs were done their rebuild (or believed they were done) when they let Lou Lam walk and hired Dubas.  At that point they started their tweaking stage, and hope to compete for cups for a long period.  They, of course, were stupid to not allow Lou Lam to stay and tweak the roster as needed.  Dubas has taken a Lou Lam built team that got 105 points (a club record) and turned them into a 95 point team that has no window any more.  

And it’s funnier than hell!:lol:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, mll said:

Players on multiple year contracts can be extended as of 1 July a year ahead of free agency.  Players on single year contracts can be extended as of 1 January - 6 months ahead of free agency.  There are tagging rules though so that can delay the announcement. 

great, thanks. I hope they can convince him to stick around. 

2 hours ago, Petey Castiglione said:

With all the talk over the summer of how far ahead the Leafs and Rangers are in their rebuild over the Canucks, does this trade deadline prove that to be wrong?

I feel like the Leafs are now in perpetual mediocre mode and the Rangers, well I'm not really sure since I don't follow them.  

Would say the Rags are closer to our current makeup, than they are the Fleas. League Hindquarters wants that market up & runnin.

Short term I think Vegas, Flames and Oilers did well. Also like the moves in the east from Islanders, Capitals and Canes.

Long term I think we did really well. Got an important asset that works both as a rental and if resigned without giving up to much, realize that we are not contenders yet and can't give up future assets if the reward isn't big enough (as I think it is with Tofu and for that matter with JT). So actually - seems like the mindset of a winning franchise IMO.

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think we should pay LE all the amount left in his contract at the end of the year. SHL star in the making

• Cheers 1

On 2/25/2020 at 9:59 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't think we would need to buy out Sutter.  He should be a tradeable asset in the summer, even if we have to retain salary.  Retaining 50% of his salary would give us almost the same cap space as buying him out and we don't have the extra year on the books in 2021.  As for Baer he could stay one more year in Utica and we would save just over $1 million, if we buy him out we save an extra $700k.  So depends on how tight we are against the cap.  Remember next summer we need to re-sign Petey and Quinn so buying these guys out may not be the best option as we would have their buyout salary on the books for 2021, when every penny will count.