The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So...next year. Where are we going?

Rate this topic

Got the Babych

We go as far as our best players take us. Also, injury luck plays a pivotal role on a team on the rises success. The Canucks are young and inexperienced playing meaningful games and it’s starting to show the last quarter of this season. However, they need to take their lumps early on in this process in order to figure out what it takes to get into the playoffs, let alone winning in them. 

• Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, Got the Babych said:

It's been a fun year so far. What really worries me is that everyone seems to be assuming that just because this season was an improvement on last, next year we will be even better. That's not necessarily how it goes. Progress is not linear. Where is the improvement coming from?

We are very likely losing a couple of key roster players. You know what we're keeping ALL of? The deadweight. No disrespect to all the players we have that are not performing up to their contracts (they are probably better at hockey than me), but we have way too many.

And guess what happens to teams that go all in to "win now"? They pay the price in subsequent years. That's why good clubs don't do it during a (albeit long and painful) rebuild. You trade picks and prospects when you are already a contender or on the verge, not when your goal is making the playoffs.

The cupboards are back to pretty bare. Our good "prospects" are already on the big club. Podz is legit, I'd say (for the season after next). But really no other guaranteed full time NHLers in the pipeline. Statistically a couple will make it, hopefully that's true.

So we're counting on improvements in our current core to take us to the next level? Seems like a lot to ask:

Hughes: Seems likely to improve

Petey: Will probably progress, but I don't see any big leaps coming

BB6: Has rounded out his overall game this year. Hopefully find his shot again, but I think we know what we have now.

Bo: a perfect 2nd line center. Not likely to see significant improvements

Miller: he's peaking and he's amazing. We just pray the peak lasts.

Marky: see Miller.

Virt: maybe another baby step

Pearson: hopefully maintain, I doubt it

LE: signs point to a bounce back 25 goal season

Not giving up on this year, but we're not going far even if we make the playoffs.

What is the path to the Cup from where we are?

Come on, a year-older Edler, Tanev, Myers, Beagle, Sutter... insert the rest here, isn’t going to slow down this train! 
EP, QH, BB, BH, Marky... they’ll all play 82 games, right? 

Up-up, anywayzzz! 

The roster has question marks, no doubt. It will be an interesting next year. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Industrious1 said:

Stop giving away picks.

I realize this is a 'make or break' year for Jim but I feel like there is a hint of desperation in some of these moves and it seems like we are back to reacting instead of dictating our own situation.  I hoped for the playoffs this year but it was never in my 'big picture' for building a contender.  

I guess what i'm saying is I hope we continue to build through the draft for the most part.

how so?

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Pickly said:

We go as far as our best players take us. Also, injury luck plays a pivotal role on a team on the rises success. The Canucks are young and inexperienced playing meaningful games and it’s starting to show the last quarter of this season. However, they need to take their lumps early on in this process in order to figure out what it takes to get into the playoffs, let alone winning in them. 

Agreed, but I don't think we have enough best players to take us very far.

59 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Our cap situation is not as dire as many make it out to be. Do Benning and Co have a busy summer and some tough decisions to make? Sure. But it's really not insurmountable.

Hey, I hope you're right man. I'm not a capologist by any means, but buyouts and retention don't necessarily help a whole lot with the cap, do they?

49 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

JB does seem to have a horseshoe up his but, so anything is possible, but I’m betting on Wildcard, or better, for the next 5 years or so. No complaints there. 

That does seem like the goal now, but even that feels high. Could be worse I guess, but I only have 30 years or so left (and that's if they finally prove that booze is good for you). And I've been waiting a long time. I'm gonna go on record now and declare that if they haven't won the cup in 20 years, I will switch allegiance to the newly minted Penticton Vees NHL expansion team.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Don't worry be happy. Take another toke and kick back. Hallucinate through another season and believe what ever you want to, things take care of themselves by themselves

A new GM. take that to the bank.

A whole bunch of expiring contracts, players and management, Green included

Edited by Lazurus
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Less than a week ago JB himself said he sees up to 7 prospects ready for full-time duty on the roster in the next few seasons.   Nothings guaranteed but I'd hardly call our cupboards bare, not even close actually. 

GMs say a lot of things. I don't share that optimism obviously, but we'll see and I hope you're right!

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Got the Babych said:

GMs say a lot of things. I don't share that optimism obviously, but we'll see and I hope you're right!

Scary part is, if you beleive what they say, then this team is in big trouble, Benning has said he thought this was a team that could make the playoffs for 5 years. If he isn't lying then his judgement isn't very good.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

Scary part is, if you beleive what they say, then this team is in big trouble, Benning has said he thought this was a team that could make the playoffs for 5 years. If he isn't lying then his judgement isn't very good.

Just what are you saying?

The team is currently in a play off position, despite their number one goalie being injured, and a top six forward out as well.

And even your statement is "Benning  has said he thought this was a team that COULD make the playoffs for 5 years"

count this as year one, looks like his judgement is fine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

IMO this team is still deep in it's development cycle.  Players like Gaudette, Virtanen, EP, Hughes, Boeser, Demko,  will all (hopefully) keep improving and they play in key positions.  

I see quite a few young players joining this team in the next 2-3 years as well (MacEwan, Rafferty, Breezer, Podz, Hog, Rathbone hopefully).   

There has to be roster turn over too, but they are mostly support players aside from Markstrom.  The building blocks of this team are young.

Edited by SILLY GOOSE
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

At this stage, hope(whilst smoking a Marley) is better than expectations..on the ticker, that is.

Really want them to sign TT. Squandering Madden makes for horrible optics. Open to another big trade or two, long as they keep adding size, speed, skill & youth.

Let Tanev go. Sign Jacob. Whittle/hack/grind away at that eyesore, cap-stump wherever we can.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Industrious1 said:

Stop giving away picks.

I realize this is a 'make or break' year for Jim but I feel like there is a hint of desperation in some of these moves and it seems like we are back to reacting instead of dictating our own situation.  I hoped for the playoffs this year but it was never in my 'big picture' for building a contender.  

I guess what i'm saying is I hope we continue to build through the draft for the most part.

I feel like Tyler Myers needs a shorter stick. So many bad passes in his own zone because the puck is in around his feet and he kind of just shovels and awkward backhand pass towards whoever is close by. 

So many giveaways also related to poor communication/systems between fwds and D. D or centre rims the puck around the boards the winger is nowhere to be found.  

• Upvote 1

I’ve said over the last year or so that it’s reasonable to think this team will become serious contenders in two years from now. Our young studs and elite prospects in Podkolzin and Höglander will be massive additions on their own over this year and next. Players like Baertschi, Roussel, Sutter, Beagle etc., will be moved out for cap relief. Might have to retain as well as add a sweetener on a couple but we’ll be fine. 

Well, I am going to be a little hard here.

IMO, There is 1 Dman on the current roster that is truly playoff worthy, and he is the youngest guy...……..

I find that if anywhere JB has failed is, he should have put one more high end dman on the team

then some big tough journeymen Dmen.....

The issue isn't that we won't be in the playoffs, but that the playoffs are a different beast

Very aggressive, and hard fought. IMO, where we are now,  we will be clobbered back there

with no response. 

Which brings up the next issue, which is directly related, and that is that when teams start keying on Hughes,

and they will, we have no real tough forwards that have it in their nature......

Yes, team toughness will deter some of it, but it is only a pack mentality and deterrents are very seldom

given from that kind of response…...to be blunt, we have no one that can beat the crap out of anyone, 

and can play a regular shift. This is why CDC looks at Bailey and MacEwen, as players they want up.

Because, truthfully, you all know this to be true.

The playoffs are not going to the wall......its going through the wall....I don't think we have those players here

And don't see many on the horizon 

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1