The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So...next year. Where are we going?

Rate this topic

Got the Babych

8 minutes ago, Got the Babych said:

Because of the cap compliance rules. It's probably less, but we would still be taking a cap hit for players we no longer have.

Buying out Bear or LE (maybe his last season?) or whomever just prolongs the ability to spend to a real cap (this year its Spooner, Bear, Golobin, and Luongo wasting money - could buy a good defenseman right?)...JB needs to stop doing that and avoid any rentention and buyouts if at all possible...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Industrious1 said:

Stop giving away picks.

I realize this is a 'make or break' year for Jim but I feel like there is a hint of desperation in some of these moves and it seems like we are back to reacting instead of dictating our own situation.  I hoped for the playoffs this year but it was never in my 'big picture' for building a contender.  

I guess what i'm saying is I hope we continue to build through the draft for the most part.

ok that means no miller or toffoli   . I guess your ok with not having those 2  on the team then , miller was a great pick up  and toffoli has been a good replacement for brock , besides that miller is better than blake coleman   ( tampa bay gave away that pick )  

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

Well, I am going to be a little hard here.

IMO, There is 1 Dman on the current roster that is truly playoff worthy, and he is the youngest guy...……..

Sorry Jan, but I completely disagree. 

I'm not saying our D is compromised of six #1/2 guys, but Quinn, Tanev, Eagle and maybe even Myers could play in the regular rotation of almost every current playoff team imo and be an upgrade to those teams.  To say otherwise would be implying they're not even better than guys like Gryzlek,  Jensen,  Schenn,  Gudas,  ect... who will all end up playing in the post season.   Even Juice last week on HNIC was saying defense is the strongest component of this team and he typically tells it like it is. 

56 minutes ago, Got the Babych said:

Because of the cap compliance rules. It's probably less, but we would still be taking a cap hit for players we no longer have.

And? Short term means to an end. All teams go through this.

You show me what NHL team has never bought a player out, retained salary and didn't have a player live up to their contract.

This is all very normal and manageable stuff. It's not the unmanageable nightmare some of the media (or posters here) would have you believe.

There's work to do, decisions to make and the odd bullet to bite. All very normal NHL team circumstances. Nothing long term (all these 'bad' contacts of ours are gone in the next few years). 

26 minutes ago, the grinder said:

ok that means no miller or toffoli   . I guess your ok with not having those 2  on the team then , miller was a great pick up  and toffoli has been a good replacement for brock , besides that miller is better than blake coleman   ( tampa bay gave away that pick )  

That's what leads to the big question. What's the end game? With Miller and Toffoli we might make the playoffs this year. 

Then what?

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

And? Short term means to an end. All teams go through this.

You show me what NHL team has never bought a player out, retained salary and didn't have a player live up to their contract.

This is all very normal and manageable stuff. It's not the unmanageable nightmare some of the media (or posters here) would have you believe.

There's work to do, decisions to make and the odd bullet to bite. All very normal NHL team circumstances. Nothing long term (all these 'bad' contacts of ours are gone in the next few years). 

And, I was answering your question.