The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So...next year. Where are we going?

Rate this topic

Got the Babych

We need to get used to chewing our fingernails until guys like LE and Sutter are gone and replaced by guys like Hogs n Pods.  And even those guys  need to marinate. During that time we need an upgrade on D. Hughes isn't enough. Tanev even if he signs hasn't got alot of years left in him and neither does edler. 

We still have at least three years ahead of us where we developed. 

17 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I don't think they will sign that high out of their ELC.

Hughes has zero rights in his RFA year and defenseman never go that high off of their ELC.

Petey's been good but so far he hasn't proven worth 10+. If it weren't for Miller his production would be lower. I do think we should lock of Petey before he takes that next step like Eichel and Mackinnon did.

Buffalo also hands out big contracts like nothing AKA Skinner. Eichel turned out well for them though.

If Canucks were smart they'd sign Petey long-term this off-season where they can get him lower than 10M for sure. That way they don't risk him potentially taking that next step next year and having to pay him more.

The only problem is it still comes down to the player and his agent. We know Petey will likely be worth more within two or three years. Well so does his agent. Meaning it comes down to what the player really wants. If he's after the big contract there simply won't be a long term deal coming out of the elc. It's easy to say sign them long term now but the player and his agent do have a say in the matter. 

18 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Into the weeds, over what? 

The window is open as long as QH and EP (and whomever else becomes the core) are here. Agreed. 

Maybe theywill fade into oblivion or maybe they will hit the road as UFAs. 

I think it’s a surprisingly long list. You think what you like. 

I hope that any future pending a UFA is sold off before they can walk. The sample list I gave should have been worth it’s weight in 1st rounders and then some. 

disapp.gif

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Baggins said:

The only problem is it still comes down to the player and his agent. We know Petey will likely be worth more within two or three years. Well so does his agent. Meaning it comes down to what the player really wants. If he's after the big contract there simply won't be a long term deal coming out of the elc. It's easy to say sign them long term now but the player and his agent do have a say in the matter. 

Ultimately yeah. Players also know if they sign for a crazy amount they limit what the roster can do. AKA Mackinnon.

Nevertheless JB should try to sign him to a long-term extension this off-season before the season starts. It'll likely be the cheapest we will be able to get him.

Teams also do potential contracts. ie Eichel/Chabot

Ultimately yeah. Players also know if they sign for a crazy amount they limit what the roster can do. AKA Mackinnon.

Nevertheless JB should try to sign him to a long-term extension this off-season before the season starts. It'll likely be the cheapest we will be able to get him.

Teams also do potential contracts. ie Eichel/Chabot

I agree and I'd wager the vast majority of GM's go for the long term bargain price in such situations. But it does come down to whether the player wants the big money, or sees leaving some money on the table in the belief the team can be better overall. There has been plenty though that want that bridge deal so they can go for the home run later.

8 minutes ago, Baggins said:

I agree and I'd wager the vast majority of GM's go for the long term bargain price in such situations. But it does come down to whether the player wants the big money, or sees leaving some money on the table in the belief the team can be better overall. There has been plenty though that want that bridge deal so they can go for the home run later.

Boeser's agent structured a contract that guarantee's a big raise later, good for both the player and the team.

The corona virus could affect the salary cap next year especially if they have voluntary or mandatory quarantines happening, lose ten Canadian team playoff revenue games and that is a big deal, lose a few rounds and who knows how much less it will be. I think that if that happened the cap would just sit there and not go up.