The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

DEFENSE & ENERGY IS THE PROBLEM

Rate this topic

realfan201777

2 hours ago, Playoff Grit said:

The Problems with the Canucks are obvious to everyone outside of coaching and management.

- Ericcson   6 Million Cap for a guy that belongs in AHL / SEL / Retired
- Sutter       4.75 Million for the (only) softest Sutter that does almost nothing, ever.
-Beagle      3M for zero goals , zero hits , zero fights
-Roussel    3M for stupid penalty's and nothing else
-Ferland     Terrible due diligence , dude is done playing pro hockey.

-Benn        Plays smaller than Stecher , Benn's jacked but offers zero deterrence.  If he just punched the odd face he would be of some use.

-Head Office - Luongo recapture is an absolute farce.

If the canucks want to contend anytime soon the above needs to be off our books.

Eriksson - hope he just retires at the end of this season

Sutter - at worst he will be on the team 1 more year his contract comes off the books

Beagle - atleast he is good for faceoffs, but yes way over paid. But we signed him the year he won the cup and was an integral part of their 4th line

Ferland - a gamble worth taking. LA took the same gamble on Willie Mitchell and it paid dividend to their 2 cups, just an overall unfortunate situation

Benn - he likely gets moved in the off season

Luongo - this is bull$&!# as Hossa's contract was signed a year before and is basically the same tactic cap circumvention, but of course Hossa is allowed to be "allergic to his hockey equipment" while there is a recapture penalty on the Canucks for Luongo. If  the Predators don't get cap-recapture for Weber, we should sue the league for this bull$&!#

Edited by ruilin96
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Oregon.Duck said:

We only have so many call ups remaining. The team needs to have a closed door players only meeting. Horvat needs to tear them a new one and light a fire. 

Ahh. Sutter Eriksson Beagle Roussel Edler. All "comfortable" vets in the room. Not gonna let a 24 year old rookie captain tear them anything new. Until the number if comfortable vets dwindles to a very few,  Horvats gonna have trouble taking charge. Once Bennings 7 come in maybe then. 

Playing dump in and change to protect a lead in the 3rd period is the biggest problem. Sutter on an odd men rush with only the goalie to beat chose not to shoot but back passed to create a turnover also a big problem. Sutter taking an unnecessary offensive zone penalty with a 2 goal lead started the collapse.

I’m usually pretty level headed and don’t like to jump to conclusions about this team. They are young and going to make mistakes. This weekend was hard to be a fan. Getting beat by the leafs then coming out with a goalie new to the team and jumping to a quick lead. Starting up 3-1 in the third against Columbus...a team decimated with injuries just looking to get put out of their misery. Why do we keep sitting on leads???  I hear the Benning haters, but I don’t buy it. Hughes is amazing, Petey is Petey...Miller has been the best result from a trade in quite a while. Even without Marky this team should be able to play 500 hockey on the road. The other teams just seem to want it more. The hustle isn’t there to start most games and definitely wasn’t there to finish it last night. Is it tired bodies? Missing leadership?  Poor coaching??  I don’t know (if I did I would probably get paid a lot more for my coaching skills than I do) but there is something missing from the setup, planning and execution of this team. The roster isn’t perfect and probably not ready to compete seriously for the cup but it should be better than what we are watching the last few games. 

Need some of those heart and soul players. Guys like Kesler and Burrows that just lay it all on the line. With things going wrong who's going to spark the team, who's going to be able to help change the momentum. We need players that care. We need players that have the will to win.

Was hoping Virtanen would become one but he's more worried about sniping in some goals. 

Need a whole bunch of players

The playoff chase gives the illusion of vast improvement, Markstrom by himself has inflated actual improvement.

The playoff race is only against 3 other teams and only one is marginally in the top 10 of the league.

Talk is always about this young team, young is different in the NHL, 30 is considered pretty much done except for the stars and the odd grinder here and there that are playoff performers.This team has a very few young regular players under 24, less than most teams

The problem IMO is expectations.

Expectations have blurred reality with fantasy or hopes.

Hughes is a good offensive threat and exciting to watch but really not very good at defense it self, some of his stats don't take into account the times he avoids getting the puck because he will be hit, so his giveaways are not as bad but the stats don't count the  bailouts or turn aways, that is okay it is a learning thing and he will get stronger later but the stats they trot out are the one's fans want to see and pay for. He is a minus player, on the PP he has 24 plus's and is -9, that indicates he is -33 at even strength if he had no PP plus's, that could be why Green finally is sitting him in the third period of close games. Of course the perception of expectations now is that this team cannot win without him, the PP will fail and scoring will plummet.

The team needs Tryamkin to sign on March 20th if for nothing but depth, his "presence" will make a, pardon the pun, "Huge" impact on the game, no more pushing the little guys around and to him everyone except Myers and Markstrom are little guys, :lol:Hughes and Stecher will be looking at his sternum.:lol:

Edited by Lazurus

20 hours ago, shazzam said:

Need some of those heart and soul players. Guys like Kesler and Burrows that just lay it all on the line. With things going wrong who's going to spark the team, who's going to be able to help change the momentum. We need players that care. We need players that have the will to win.

Was hoping Virtanen would become one but he's more worried about sniping in some goals. 

If this team had Larkin and Tkachuk with the supporting cast it is still weak at defense but really one one or two depth guys away.

Jake has had two shoulder surgeries I think, shoulder injuries end careers. Besides when he was drafted it was because he scored tons of goals, was lightning fast skater and took a hit really well. Nothing wrong with being a strong sniper, he just needs to fire 500 pucks a day at a quarter.

Edited by Lazurus