The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canucks vs Coyotes - Wednesday March 4th 2020 at 7:30 PST - "Please don't lose again" Edition

Rate this topic

Salter

4 minutes ago, NHTyrany said:

I almost agree. I don't think it's a good strategy to dirty target the other team, unless the other team takes liberties--then you go ape sh1t with no mercy. Creating a don't f with us reputation. But the key is to be able to answer the call with greater fervor, resulting in a deterrent. That way you can get through the 82 schedule healthier.

I don't think it has anything to do with playing dirty.

StL won the cup with 6 huge D-men, they do not play dirty, but they have very few player that need others to step up for them.

The Canucks used to talk about 'team toughness' StL has team toughness. They are tough enough that they don't need to play rough or dirty

57 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Another painful miscue by Nolan Baumgartner. Gudbranson was a solid defenseman when he played with Edler. Pairing him with Ben Hutton was a bad idea, and slotting him in with Pouliot was disastrous.

I wasn’t a big fan of Gudbranson despite his fighting ability. 

He was just too nice of a guy by that time in his career.  

I do agree that he looked best with Edler though and then that combination disappeared for no apparent reason. 

22 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

what a waste of a pick, and draft year

Don’t worry. I believe he can still figure things out. Once he does, he will be a solid addition to our blue line corps maybe as early as next season. He’s starting to be better than Poopoojarvi tbh.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Having guys like that makes the rest of the team stand a little taller too. Nothing worse than being the only guy that is willing to push back.

They need to have each other’s backs and have that pack mentality. The more guys willing to lead the charge the better. Definitely need to see some more of that fire out of Roussel because right now he’s bringing very little to the table.

I agree with your assessment of Roussel.  He played really well in his first game back, but since then it looks like the injury hasn't quite healed.  He's not the agitator he should be.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Stop using every piece of news on him to continue your narrative.

We get that you don’t like the pick but continuing to dwell on it does no good. 

He may not play in the NHL but this latest news isn’t the reason for it.

I was a fan of the pick..... kinda.  
I wanted Tkachuk first because he plays the big nasty POS game I love, but was fine with OJ.  
Over the years I’m losing faith this pick was any good.  
This kid makes Sami Salo look like the all time Ironman leader.   

Every month, another issue.   
Im always on the patient side, but this kid is starting to look like a bust. 

7 minutes ago, How swede it is said:

It was Horvat's line leaving the CBJ player wide open to make it 3-2, that's what started it.   CBJ had nothing going in the 3rd until then.  It was a team effort in the loss, lot's of blame to go around.  

Yup! 

Bo and Pearson broke out of our zone and I can’t remember who committed the turnover but those two were out of the play. The puck then got sent to a Columbus player right through Jake Virtanen who missed doing anything of the defensive kind on that play. That guy then sent the puck to an open Blue Jacket in front of Louis Dominingue who had no chance on the play. 

Bo and Pearson were about 10 feet behind the guy that scored.  

It was sadly comedic timing in the GDT as someone had just posted about good defensive players being Dime a dozen and how we could always call some up from Utica. 

5 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

I was a fan of the pick..... kinda.  
I wanted Tkachuk first because he plays the big nasty POS game I love, but was fine with OJ.  
Over the years I’m losing faith this pick was any good.  
This kid makes Sami Salo look like the all time Ironman leader.   

Every month, another issue.   
Im always on the patient side, but this kid is starting to look like a bust. 

And I remember just as many praying that Puljujarvi would fall to us at 5. How’d that work for the Oilers.

At least Juolevi still has aspirations of playing for us.

All these new ailments are likely related to the original surgery. That comes with the territory when you’re out that long.

I just hope that he’s healthy for a full summer of training so he can finally get his body right and we can see what Benning saw in him taking him that high.

3 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Yup! 

Bo and Pearson broke out of our zone and I can’t remember who committed the turnover but those two were out of the play. The puck then got sent to a Columbus player right through Jake Virtanen who missed doing anything of the defensive kind on that play. That guy then sent the puck to an open Blue Jacket in front of Louis Dominingue who had no chance on the play. 

Bo and Pearson were about 10 feet behind the guy that scored.  

It was sadly comedic timing in the GDT as someone had just posted about good defensive players being Dime a dozen and how we could always call some up from Utica. 

There’s so many moments that you could blame it doesn’t really matter now.

Regardless of how it ended I do like that they were pushing for that 4th goal. We’ve seen things end just as poorly collapsing and trying to protect a 2 goal lead.

They just have to bury those chances (Sutter) when they get them, and stay disciplined. Those were the two biggest things that cost them in the end.

29 minutes ago, lmm said:

I agree it was a turning point, but how is Zack supposed know that his team turns to mush after a fight?

This has been going on since the Naslund era, there was some talk a few years back about changing the culture, but that has died down without an actual change.

This is a team that seems to think it can One Punch its way through rough stuff.

Do they actually think 'well we answered the bell, now we can get back to a nice game'? It sure looks like it from where i sit.

It has seemed for a long time that the Canucks would prefer the staged goon fight era, so 2 guys can saw off and the rest of the team goes about their business.

It's a pretty well-known convention in hockey to try not to let the other team gain momentum and get back in the game, and that fighting for no reason when you're up will risk that happening, and that the team down often is the one who ends up gaining momentum after a fight, not the team that's winning. As others have said, the loss isn't solely on ZM's shoulders, as it's a team loss, but I would put money on it that if he was asked again like that when his team is up that a voice in the back of his head (aka Green) will be telling him to skate away. 

11 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

Takes 8 weeks for s goalie to recover from that surgery, and that’s if all goes perfectly.  Then Marky has to get back into top form.  Still saying Marky (SADLY :() has played his last game with us.