The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How dirty is Chara/how bad is player safety?

Rate this topic

A conversation started at work today...

How dirty is Chara and has he ever been suspended? 

Prior history of bad calls helping him going forward - I’m not sure that their is a guy that gets benefit of the doubt more than him. It seems like he keeps getting benefit of the because he’s previously gotten the benefit of the doubt. Example, the recent cross check, if he had a previous history of suspensions and fines he would likely get multiple games. Instead, $5000.  There are several instances that would justify at LEAST a fine which would give him some sort of record but instead on borderline calls lean towards no action since he has no priors.  

“He is tall” - The league also plays the size card with him often. “He only hit him in the head because he is so tall.” That argument never seems to be part of the conversation when other fines and suspensions are handed out. I don’t think people know the size difference in any other suspension.  

I don’t even hate the guy. He’s been a hell of a player but the league bias is just unacceptable. I know this isn’t a new topic or anything... just needed to rant. 

Added a few videos. 

Enjoy!

GOTTA SEE IT: Chara Gets Away With Violent Cross-check To Gallagher's Face

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/video/evander-kane-fights-zdeno-chara-after-hit-head-sharks-bruins-game

15 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

He's dirty as hell and its really mindblowing to me that he seems to do egregious stuff all the time and always comes out unscathed. "He's tall" is a horse$&!# excuse. First of all, there are plenty of tall players who don't have anywhere near his rap sheet. Second, if your height is causing a play you make to become dangerous, make a different play. Its no different than trying to justify hitting a player in the head because they were in a vulnerable position.

Answer:  When Jacobs has a bowel movement, how long does it take for Bettman to find out?

• Haha 1

Chara is dirty no question,  but imo he gets the benefit of the doubt every time because he is (was) a completely dominant player playing for one of the leagues flagship franchises.  You take action against him (and his team) then you're taking action against yourself and the NHL would never allow that.  But go ahead and suspend Aaron Rome, who cares about him or his team, right?

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You think this Bruins team is bad, I guess you didn't watch hockey in the 70's.  Boston at one time literally went into the stands to beat up fans, Milbury hitting people with someone else's shoe...

Okay

• Huggy Bear 1

That hit he did on Pacioretty should have been 10 games. He clearly directs his head into the post. Was clearly deliberate.

Its Boston though, the league doesn't suspend players from Boston for the most part, just slap on the wrist unless they have no other choice.

• Upvote 1

Chara has always been a POS on the ice. He may be a nice guy off of it, but his play at times is gutless. 

Guarantee if it wasn't for his size he wouldn't pull 90% of what he does. He also took the cowards way out against many established fighters. It's hilarious that people praise him as one of the toughest. 

Tell that to the Shelley's or Laraque's of the world. 

Edited by RRypien37
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 2

30 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Chara has always been a POS on the ice. He may be a nice guy off of it, but his play at times is gutless. 

Guarantee if it wasn't for his size he wouldn't pull 90% of what he does. He also took the cowards way out against many established fighters. It's hilarious that people praise him as one of the toughest. 

Tell that to the Shelley's or Laraque's of the world. 

The guy from Nashville whooped him pretty bad this season.  Did you catch that one? 

8 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

The guy from Nashville whooped him pretty bad this season.  Did you catch that one? 

Yeah. Young Russian. To be fair it was a lucky hay maker that connected out of the clinch right on the button. That's dropping most guys who aren't professional fighters. 

Edited by RRypien37
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You think this Bruins team is bad, I guess you didn't watch hockey in the 70's.  Boston at one time literally went into the stands to beat up fans, Milbury hitting people with someone else's shoe...

That started because fans started punching Bruin players, not the other way around. 

• Cheers 1

B. Marchant is really going to miss his big goon team-mate, because his comeuppance is coming from guys that know what a dirty player looks like and it's pay back time.

The Bruins are by far the dirtiest team in the NHL because they have gotten away with so much, so why not,THERE DOESN'T SEEM TO BE ANY CONSEQUENCES when it comes to the Bruins.

I’ve always liked Chara. He’s probably been the best defensive d-man for a decade that’s not easy to do. His workouts are crazy and for him to be playing at his age and his position it’s incredible. As for the suspensions he should’ve gotten one for sure on the cross check. 

One of the dirties and cheapest players of all time for me. He is a player that lets the emotion get the best of him more often than he should and uses that as an excuse/justify his inexcusable actions.

Remember when he fought against Neil and Neil just took it to him? How Chara puts up his hand up cowardly and asks Neil to stop? Well, when he was on top, he never stopped punching the other smaller guys.

For example at 0:20 of this video:

• Vintage 1

Just now, khay said:

One of the dirties and cheapest players of all time for me. He is a player that lets the emotion get the best of him more often than he should and uses that as an excuse/justify his inexcusable actions.

Remember when he fought against Neil and Neil just took it to him? How Chara puts up his hand up cowardly and asks Neil to stop? Well, when he was on top, he never stopped punching the other smaller guys.

For example at 0:20 of this video:

One more video showing a cowardly tap:

Being on the receiving end of mercy, you should know to give one out. He didn't. A cheap player on the ice, probably a decent human being off the ice though.