The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] NHL’s new puck will premiere on opening night of playoffs

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, Chickenspear said:

What is the league's motive on this? Who is this for? Why spend money on this useless tech? And why premiere it in the biggest hockey tournament in the world?

Testing/introduction should be done in the pre-season, ffs:picard:. Crosby says he feels the edges are a bit different, others say the feel and weight are off... can't help but think of some of those nights where the puck is extra bouncy.

The puck alone is distracting enough, but to add the player tags too? Blocks out half the ice and players, and I don't give 2 @&%$* about a player's speed... that kind of info should be used in the intermission panels (as they already sometimes do), not during the live game. This had all better be a feature that can be turned off. 

You wanna mess with rules of the NHL, have at'er, but don't %$&@ with the foundational equipment of the game.

It's programming for sheep to accept tracking tech.. heheh.

Do real hockey fans need this, NO.

This is for those people incapable of paying enough attention to the game instead of looking at their phones.

In all the years of watching hockey I have always known who has the puck and what they are about to do with it,JUST PAY ATTENTION,OK!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, DADDYROCK said:

Do real hockey fans need this, NO.

This is for those people incapable of paying enough attention to the game instead of looking at their phones.

In all the years of watching hockey I have always known who has the puck and what they are about to do with it,JUST PAY ATTENTION,OK!

I agree with you in that I hope it is not shown during the actual ‘real time’ of the play.  I think it might be interesting to watch replays and see how fast the puck was moving from a Pettersson slap shot or Boeser wrister.  

Hopefully the league isn’t so excited about their new toy that it is all they talk about.  Mild use (like in baseball) could highlight some interesting things.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

I guess fans won't be getting pucks from players now (unless they warm up with normal pucks?)

face palm GIF

They hand out those fake sticks, so I imagine handing out regular pucks won't be an issue. I'm curious if they'll expect you to throw the puck back on the ice (or hand to an usher) during game play like how you have to throw the ball back in soccer. If you take it home, they can track you!

6 hours ago, Fanuck said:

If you watch other major sports regularly this is no surprise - it was coming for a while now.   

MLB has been doing electronic tracking and analysis of baseballs/bats/base runners for many years now.

Golf has had a ball-tracker/club swing analyzer for ages. 

Formula 1 is famous for the amount of data they collect/track for both drivers/cars. 

I'm sure the NHL has their own 'in-house' reasons for tracking the data (and I could speculate, but it's just speculation) but they will obviously sell it to fans/media as a way to enhance 'fan experience'.  I'm sure some of it might be interesting to some fans, but as a life-long hockey fan I'm fine not knowing the amount distance a puck travels during a team's first period power-play versus their 3rd period power-plays thank you. 

and then there is bloody tennis. 

"out"

"I protest sir"

... graphic of line and a slo mo ball (with shadow) ball outside the line

"call stands"

who believes that crap?

2 hours ago, GoodCanadianKideh said:

I agree with you in that I hope it is not shown during the actual ‘real time’ of the play.  I think it might be interesting to watch replays and see how fast the puck was moving from a Pettersson slap shot or Boeser wrister.  

Hopefully the league isn’t so excited about their new toy that it is all they talk about.  Mild use (like in baseball) could highlight some interesting things.

Well I wouldn't hold my breath, John and John, and all the other Johns still talk about "Pocketing a point" all these years later like the rest of  us don't know its a bloody loser point.

Just once I'd like John to say to John, "well one of these teams just pocketed a loseer point, now we'll see who wins the game"

Obviously a puck shadow or trail would be annoying, but I would love to see more in-game data about puck speeds. Maybe someone somewhere had already hit 110mph and we just don't know it. I'm excited for this technology so long as it doesn't interfere with the visual aspect of the game.