The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Eriksson to ANA

Lets not kid anyone, ANA is going to do a stealth tank next season too, they simply can't be competitive until 21/22. But that isn't enough room to take Loui I don't think, right now they are at 8.5 mil in cap space for next year :shock:

our old friends Ottawa tho are a different story. They are flush with picks, and have 36 mil. What they don't have are prospects who are ready to play soon, maybe even next year and while pickz are awesome its nice to have some older kids in the pipeline too. 

Loui can still play a bottom 6 PK role, which would help Ottawa. 

Loui, Linus Karlsson, Jet Woo for one of Ottawa's spare 2020 2nd rounders. 

• Huggy Bear 1

9 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

You suggested a depth prospect. A depth prospect does not equal a 1st round pick in a deep draft. Apples/oranges. 

Depth as in none of our TOP guys (Hog/Podz/Rathbone/OJ etc). One of the next next in line after that...absolutely. 

6 minutes ago, mll said:

Eriksson?  Does a depth prospect really hold any kind of value?  Teams have depth prospects of their own.  Who do you have in mind - where do they rank in the depth chart?

I'd add a guy (or two if it's later guys) in our 5-10 slots. Somewhere between say Lind and McDonough give or take.

Edited by aGENT

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Lets not kid anyone, ANA is going to do a stealth tank next season too, they simply can't be competitive until 21/22. But that isn't enough room to take Loui I don't think, right now they are at 8.5 mil in cap space for next year :shock:

our old friends Ottawa tho are a different story. They are flush with picks, and have 36 mil. What they don't have are prospects who are ready to play soon, maybe even next year and while pickz are awesome its nice to have some older kids in the pipeline too. 

I bet they Retain on Getz for futures. There's another $4.125+ right there.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

If Anaheim wanted to really tank they should move on from Rakell, Manson, Lindholm, Fowler etc but apparently they want to retain those players.  Their prospects will be a year more experienced.  Maybe it won't be sufficient.  

Wonder if Anaheim might buy out Backes.  The cap hit is manageable and Boston covers 25% of the costs.  

It’s a pretty sad situation JB has put us in @Jimmy McGill, when he has to use our best prospects as sweetener to dump the terrible contracts he handed out to aging players.  Which prospects are the sweetener needed to dump Beagle, Sutter, and Baer?  What about Myers in a couple years?  It’s looking like we won’t even get to open our winning window at this rate. 

7 minutes ago, mll said:

Wonder if Anaheim might buy out Backes.  The cap hit is manageable and Boston covers 25% of the costs.  

I'd imagine that's the game plan.

Can totally see them going quicker retool and retaining mid-late 20's guys with term still. Getz at 34 on an expiring deal though...good as gone IMO. Retain 50% to a contender this summer for futures and one last kick for him.

Edited by aGENT

2 minutes ago, mll said:

If Anaheim wanted to really tank they should move on from Rakell, Manson, Lindholm, Fowler etc but apparently they want to retain those players.  Their prospects will be a year more experienced.  Maybe it won't be sufficient.  

thats an interesting idea. I could see that for sure. I also think we'll see some of those players traded at the draft or next years TDL.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It’s a pretty sad situation JB has put us in @Jimmy McGill, when he has to use our best prospects as sweetener to dump the terrible contracts he handed out to aging players.  Which prospects are the sweetener needed to dump Beagle, Sutter, and Baer?  What about Myers in a couple years?  It’s looking like we won’t even get to open our winning window at this rate. 

tbh Karlsson won't be missed. Woo would be, but shedding cap ain't free. I don't think Woo is our top RHD prospect either. Good, but he's no Rathbone.

I think one or both of Sutter and Baer are bought out to create 3.9 mil in cap. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I bet they Retain on Getz for futures. There's another $4.125+ right there.

He's still their leading scorer.  All time Duck and just one year left.  He has a similar status for them as the Sedins no?  

Friedman thinks they could move Henrique if the right deal comes along.

Just now, mll said:

He's still their leading scorer.  All time Duck and just one year left.  He has a similar status for them as the Sedins no?  

Friedman thinks they could move Henrique if the right deal comes along.

Depends on if he wants another shot at qfegvezufm1ofu13vqg433iek.gif

Just now, aGENT said:

Why scuffle along on a basement team, risking injury etc and struggle to form chemistry at the TDL if you know you're going to go?

Because you don't know which team will ultimately make the dance.  No one expected Nashville to struggle as much for example.  

Also who knows if he can see himself in other colours.  The Sedins did not want to play for another team.  Koivu just refused to waive.  

51 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

That seems absurdly expensive given the Backes deal that just took place. 

44 minutes ago, aGENT said:

No kidding. and BOS got an actual player back.

The Bruins moved a 1st to get rid of Backes, Kase doesn't have a lot of value. He costs 2.6M, is made of glass, has decent production when healthy. Baertschi costs 700k more and we haven't found any takers for him. Kase has a few years on Baer which is what makes it a better gamble for the Bruins, that he can stay healthy and chip in some secondary scoring. I suspect the Ducks weren't sorry to see Kase go.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I'm aware, but let's not pretend that near 30 face punchers are some hot, immovable commodity. They can find another guy to 'protect their young players'.

@mll beat writers are idiots. A couple weeks ago, we were moving OJ or similar for Simmonds.

Edit:

And sorry, yes @qwijibo, we could look at something with Backes coming back and less/no retention as well.

I don't think that's the point here.....they are taking 50% of Eriksson, for a guy they could have let walk to UFA in 3 month.....so basically ....50% of Eriksson for absolutely nothing at all?  This proposal can't be serious.

On top of losing Deslauriers....and taking on Eriksson, you're suggesting they go sign another guy to protect their guys?   Why just not keep Deslauriers.....take Eriksson at 50% and the depth prospect....and since they have to send something back...send us a 7th rounder in 2075.

Not sure why you think we're getting off that easy when Boston just paid a 1st and a good prospect (2nd rounder) for Backes

Edited by timberz21
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

An option to finally rid ourselves?

Eriksson at 50% to ANA for Nicolas Deslauriers @ $1m for two more years.

Only costs them *$250k/year in actual cash to take on Eriksson during their rebuild and we bury his entire $1m in Utica (or as a physical 12/13F here), saving us $3m (or $2 if here) in cap space. Throw them a depth prospect for their rebuild and troubles.

*$5m of actual salary (post bonus) divided by 2 years times 50% retention = $1.25m actual salary/year.

Of course this assumes they move out some cap given they're rebuilding. Getz with one year remaining is likely IMO (if he waives), among others.

if we move loui

and retain on him

we cannot buy his last year out

when we need that money

to resign hughes and ep40

you want to save nickels

when we need to be saving dollars for 1 key signing season

this is extremely short sighted

So, I still think LE will retire this summer as I don't think he'll want to go to Utica for 1 million salary, after his bonus is paid.

However, if he doesn't, let's look at this from the standpoint that with the new Cap projection, the floor is going to rise to around 64 million for next year, maybe higher.

SO, which team (cough..Ottawa).... likes to save money on what they actually pay out and find creative ways to get to the floor? (cough Ottawa cough cough)

After bonus is paid, he's still owed 1 million for next year and 4 million for the final year, average of 2.5 million per season spent, to eat up a full 6 million in space. That's the type of deal that specific teams look for.

So, with that in mind:

To Ottawa

LE

6th round pick 2020

To Vancouver:

7th round pick 2020

Ottawa is about to lose 3 of their LTIR contracts, guys who will never play again. They can easily park Loui in the Pressbox and push themselves over the cap floor with him.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

if we move loui

and retain on him

we cannot buy his last year out

when we need that money

to resign hughes and ep40

you want to save nickels

when we need to be saving dollars for 1 key signing season

this is extremely short sighted

Retaining 50% is less of a cap hit both that and next year vs buying him out. 

25 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

So, I still think LE will retire this summer as I don't think he'll want to go to Utica for 1 million salary, after his bonus is paid.

However, if he doesn't, let's look at this from the standpoint that with the new Cap projection, the floor is going to rise to around 64 million for next year, maybe higher.

SO, which team (cough..Ottawa).... likes to save money on what they actually pay out and find creative ways to get to the floor? (cough Ottawa cough cough)

After bonus is paid, he's still owed 1 million for next year and 4 million for the final year, average of 2.5 million per season spent, to eat up a full 6 million in space. That's the type of deal that specific teams look for.

So, with that in mind:

To Ottawa

LE

6th round pick 2020

To Vancouver:

7th round pick 2020

Ottawa is about to lose 3 of their LTIR contracts, guys who will never play again. They can easily park Loui in the Pressbox and push themselves over the cap floor with him.

First off. There is zero indication that Eriksson will be sent to the minors (and kick off your fantasy of him retiring) 

Second, Ottawa has over $40m committed   and only 9 roster players signed for next season. They won’t have any problem hitting the cap floor with players they actually want. They won’t need to go looking for contracts like Ericksson’s to get them there. 

if Vancouver wants to get rid of his contract it’ll likely take more than a 6th round pick to dump him on someone 

Edited by qwijibo

If anything I am looking at Florida for Eriksson should he not retire.

Why?

Ownership has effectively come out and said shed salary no matter what.  Hence the Trochek trade.

As his cap is $6 million but his salary is only $1 million I'd speak to Tallon first

• Cheers 1