The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Eriksson to ANA

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

If anything I am looking at Florida for Eriksson should he not retire.

Why?

Ownership has effectively come out and said shed salary no matter what.  Hence the Trochek trade.

As his cap is $6 million but his salary is only $1 million I'd speak to Tallon first

You’re ignoring the $4m he’s due the following year. So it’s not quite the bargain you make it out to be.  

1 minute ago, qwijibo said:

You’re ignoring the $4m he’s due the following year. So it’s not quite the bargain you make it out to be.  

Not so much forgetting as much as convinced he won't be around anymore afterwards.  I don't see him playing that contract out

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/loui-eriksson

Edited by Warhippy

28 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

If anything I am looking at Florida for Eriksson should he not retire.

Why?

Ownership has effectively come out and said shed salary no matter what.  Hence the Trochek trade.

As his cap is $6 million but his salary is only $1 million I'd speak to Tallon first

Colton Sceviour on FLA could effectively work in a similar fashion to my proposed scenario in the OP (though only for the one year as he expires one year sooner).

Soon to be 31 year old LW with a $1.2m X 1 year contract. Maybe take on 30 year old AHL D Tommy Cross ($725K X 1) as well to help balance the dollars even further. We can then bury all but $125K in the minors. They save actual cash.

Edited by aGENT

51 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

First off. There is zero indication that Eriksson will be sent to the minors (and kick off your fantasy of him retiring) 

Second, Ottawa has over $40m committed   and only 9 roster players signed for next season. They won’t have any problem hitting the cap floor with players they actually want. They won’t need to go looking for contracts like Ericksson’s to get them there. 

if Vancouver wants to get rid of his contract it’ll likely take more than a 6th round pick to dump him on someone 

I'm going to hang on to that fantasy, thank-you very much!!! :)

Sure a lot of Eriksson trade threads

He is a bad contract and will affect the team but he is only one and he can play a defensive role. One more season and he can be bought out without millions in a cap hit. Besides he is a really nice guy.

His is mentioned so much because of the expectations Benning told the fans and the absurd contract

BUT

There are other players that need to be moved, hopefully with a pick or prospect coming back.

This team needs more young player on it not in the system where they don't seem to develop, two left and only two play in half a decade.

They need to restart the rebuild.

16 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

So, I still think LE will retire this summer as I don't think he'll want to go to Utica for 1 million salary, after his bonus is paid.

However, if he doesn't, let's look at this from the standpoint that with the new Cap projection, the floor is going to rise to around 64 million for next year, maybe higher.

SO, which team (cough..Ottawa).... likes to save money on what they actually pay out and find creative ways to get to the floor? (cough Ottawa cough cough)

After bonus is paid, he's still owed 1 million for next year and 4 million for the final year, average of 2.5 million per season spent, to eat up a full 6 million in space. That's the type of deal that specific teams look for.

So, with that in mind:

To Ottawa

LE

6th round pick 2020

To Vancouver:

7th round pick 2020

Ottawa is about to lose 3 of their LTIR contracts, guys who will never play again. They can easily park Loui in the Pressbox and push themselves over the cap floor with him.

Unfortunately, Canucks aren't the only team with bad contracts.   Do you really think we're the only team that will call Ottawa?    They will be a bidding war and Ottawa will be able to choose the best offer and a 6th rounder won't cut it, not even close when Backes just went for a 1st and a 2nd.

On 3/4/2020 at 3:15 PM, mll said:

To get a 1st round pick.  It's apparently a very deep draft with many saying it will be possible to find 1st round calibre players in the 2nd round.

Sources about the 2nd round?  Other then the EP draft, each year the CDC seems to make it like we absolutely have to have whomever is the next first or second overall pick and that is the next coming of the 79 draft.  Last year it was all about uniting the Hughes brothers or Kakko.  Before that how the heck can we get the next "Lidstrom".   Now it's "generational - once in a lifetime Lafrenniere".

This draft isn't going to be that much different then any other the past five years or so - with the exception it won't match up to the McDavid/Eichel or even possibly the OJ draft (still erks me we missed out on that one...guess we could have had Puljajarvi instead so there is hope still at least). 

Sure the experts are saying it will be a good draft.  Same as all but the Patrick/Hirschier one (said it was good and deep but no real top tier players so even that wasn't considered a bad one) recently.    Read a lot of prospect literature- follow future watch and get a half dozen mags on the subject every year - and they always talk about the next two or even three coming up.  Haven't read anywhere that it's sooo deep a second is like picking in the first round anywhere - maybe you could help me find that information from a valid source? If "many" are saying that I must be missing something...

Yes it's supposed to be good, and I'm sure some teams will get great players.   Maybe even us depending on the next 16 games ...

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Haven't read anywhere that it's sooo deep a second is like picking in the first round anywhere

I always find comments like that funny too. Generally speaking, in an average (not crappy) draft, the tier from picks +/- 20-40 are all pretty comparable players and order is largely up to scout/organization preference.

Does that make a guy taken at 34 in the 2nd 'like a first'? Or does it make a guy taken at 28 'like a second'? :lol:

On 3/4/2020 at 11:51 AM, aGENT said:

An option to finally rid ourselves?

Eriksson at 50% to ANA for Nicolas Deslauriers @ $1m for two more years.

Only costs them *$250k/year in actual cash to take on Eriksson during their rebuild and we bury his entire $1m in Utica (or as a physical 12/13F here), saving us $3m (or $2 if here) in cap space. Throw them a depth prospect for their rebuild and troubles.

*$5m of actual salary (post bonus) divided by 2 years times 50% retention = $1.25m actual salary/year.

Of course this assumes they move out some cap given they're rebuilding. Getz with one year remaining is likely IMO (if he waives), among others.

This makes no sense for Anaheim as all Ericksson is to Anaheim is a progress stopper to their young players by being in the lineup and Anaheim really doesn’t have the cap space with still paying Corey Perry’s buyout. The only team that really makes sense is Ottawa as they will need to take on a lot of cap room to get to the bottom with a bunch of their high cap numbers all leaving this summer and also need a veteran to help babysit their rebuild. Gene the machine is also cheap, like moths flying out of his wallet cheap and having to only pay Ericksson $5 million over 2 years and then include Demko as a sweetener to replace Craig Anderson and Ottawa has an abundance of draft picks in the next 2 or 3 drafts.

Edited by IjustNEEDaTROYgamble

1 minute ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

This makes no sense for Anaheim as all Ericksson is to Anaheim is a progress stopper to their young players by being in the lineup and Anaheim really doesn’t have the cap space with still paying Corey Perry’s buyout. The only team that really makes sense is Ottawa as they will need to take on a lot of cap room to get to the bottom with a bunch of their high cap numbers all leaving this summer and also need a veteran to help babysit their rebuild. Gene the machine is also cheap, like moths flying out of his wallet cheap and having to only pay him $5 million over 2 years and then include Demko as a sweetener to replace Craig Anderson and Ottawa has an abundance of draft picks in the next 2 or 3 drafts.

Actually DET could also be an option as well as FLA who's GM has been instructed to slash payroll costs (while needing to remain at cap floor).

Regardless of team, the general premise is sound though. Retain 50% (effectively bringing the actual cash owed to $1.25m/year) while bringing back +/- $1m AHL contract to make it all but cash neutral while furnishing a basement team with a higher ($3m) cap hit than what they're actually paying for.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Actually DET could also be an option as well as FLA who's GM has been instructed to slash payroll costs (while needing to remain at cap floor).

Regardless of team, the general premise is sound though. Retain 50% (effectively bringing the actual cash owed to $1.25m/year) while bringing back +/- $1m AHL contract to make it all but cash neutral while furnishing a basement team with a higher ($3m) cap hit than what they're actually paying for.

I really do not see Florida trading for Ericksson or even picking him up off waivers or giving the Canucks a bag of pucks for him, maybe Detroit would be interested for getting Demko but Ottawa is still by far the best fit.

• Like 1

Just now, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

I really do not see Florida trading for Ericksson or even picking him up off waivers or giving the Canucks a bag of pucks for him, maybe Detroit would be interested for getting Demko but Ottawa is still by far the best fit.

No, we'd most certainly still need to 'pay' a team, with futures, to take him on. We're not getting a 'return'. Just as I outlined in the OP.

42 minutes ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

If dumping Loui only costs us Demko then JB better do that.  How much does it coast us to dump Sutter, and Baer?  Those two must come off our cap this summer too.  We might run out of top prospects. 

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

If dumping Loui only costs us Demko then JB better do that.  How much does it coast us to dump Sutter, and Baer?  Those two must come off our cap this summer too.  We might run out of top prospects. 

Sutter isn’t going anywhere with a full no movement clause and Baertschi can stay in the minors another year instead of giving away draft picks or prospects. Getting rid of Ericksson’s $6 million cap hit and the increase in the salary cap next year would be enough, as it stands now the Canucks have $19-$20 million free for next year and if they trade Ericksson then it’s like $25 million which would be more then enough to cover this years bonus overage next season and cover Markstrom, Tanev, Virtanen, Toffoli and Stetcher’s new contracts. 

1 minute ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

Sutter isn’t going anywhere with a full no movement clause and Baertschi can stay in the minors another year instead of giving away draft picks or prospects. Getting rid of Ericksson’s $6 million cap hit and the increase in the salary cap next year would be enough, as it stands now the Canucks have $19-$20 million free for next year and if they trade Ericksson then it’s like $25 million which would be more then enough to cover this years bonus overage next season and cover Markstrom, Tanev, Virtanen, Toffoli and Stetcher’s new contracts. 

Cap ain’t increasing.  The Sharks just announced they will have no fans in the arena for their March 19 home game.  If this no fans spreads there will be a reduction in cap.