The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Arizona Coyotes at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 04, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, Kanukfanatic said:

Last year another poster said OJ and Stecher would be our top 4 this year. Haha....just another silly prediction.

If he said that prior to OJ's injury I would of believe he could in our top 6.

Injury happened though.

25 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

It is strange how players who did well in their previous teams have come here and not done the same. The Jets, Canadiens, and Panthers did have better defense corps in their respective times though

Our forecheck (2 and even 3 guys in deep, even when the other team has puck on stick head up possession) puts our D in a difficult situation.  The other teams attack through the neutral zone with speed, which forces our D to back up too deep.  Then it’s a fire drill in our end as our forwards come back.  

I've just heard on radio that coach Green gave the team a day off today.

Coach Green also said something like "guys will be ready to play tomorrow"

It was my WTF moment of the day. Really? I understand that he does not want players to put skates on for a day to save some energy.

But there are lots of other tools that coach/manager can and should use in a situation like that, in the middle of heated playoff race.

How about some video sessions? Why don't get guys in the room and show them details of Colorado games and explain how the team will play agains Colorado tomorrow?

And tomorrow during morning skate go over that staff one more time on the ice?

How about one on one meetings with players who are not playing great?

How about PK/PP theory lessons?

There are tons of way to get players attentions and to make sure that they are ready.

Of course, players like coach Green- he is given them a day off , all employees like extra day off.

Sure, if team comes out of the  gate tommorrow and tears Colorado apart- coach Geen did the right thing with this day off.

But I have my doubts....

6 minutes ago, Silent Man said:

It was my WTF moment of the day. Really? I understand that he does not want players to put skates on for a day to save some energy.

But there are lots of other tools that coach/manager can and should use in a situation like that, in the middle of heated playoff race.

How about some video sessions? Why don't get guys in the room and show them details of Colorado games and explain how the team will play agains Colorado tomorrow?

There are tons of way to get players attentions and to make sure that they are ready.

Of course, players like coach Green- he is given them a day off , all employees like extra day off.

Sure, if team comes out of the  gate tommorrow and tears Colorado apart- coach Geen did the right thing with this day off.

But I have my doubts....

Works for me. Seen it many times at my job when guys are getting frustrated and searching for answers. Take a break and walk away for a bit. Amazing how many times it worked wonders. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Silent Man said:

But I have my doubts....

After the last twp loses in particular their head will be down. 
could be a masterstroke to get them away from all the doom and gloom. If they come back refreshed and win a few games, he will have been vindicated. 

1 minute ago, spur1 said:

Works for me. Seen it many times at my job when guys are getting frustrated and searching for answers. Take a break and walk away for a bit. Amazing how many times it worked wonders. 

Yup, when physically and mentally exhausted, sometimes the best thing is to take a break and take some deep breaths. Not to keep grinding away at the grindstone.

49 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yup, when physically and mentally exhausted, sometimes the best thing is to take a break and take some deep breaths. Not to keep grinding away at the grindstone.

We'll see how it plays out tomorrow.

They way things are right now- everybody will get an extended vacation in 30 days

1 hour ago, Silent Man said:

I've just heard on radio that coach Green gave the team a day off today.....

They just played five games in nine nights and starting with Colorado, will have nine games in 16 nights. It is obvious a few players are banged up. Rest is good, even if it doesn’t fit your model of coaching and motivation.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

They just played five games in nine nights and starting with Colorado, will have nine games in 16 nights. It is obvious a few players are banged up. Rest is good, even if it doesn’t fit your model of coaching and motivation.

We’re at home.  How much rest are the guys really going to get?  Will they stay home, and put their feet up?  I doubt that.  Green should have had the guys come to the training facility for massages, hydrotherapy, and forced them to rest.  Use the hammer he has as coach and earn some respect (fear) from the guys.  Elite athletes want to be coached.  

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We’re at home.  How much rest are the guys really going to get?  Will they stay home, and put their feet up?  I doubt that.  Green should have had the guys come to the training facility for massages, hydrotherapy, and forced them to rest.  Use the hammer he has as coach and earn some respect (fear) from the guys.  Elite athletes want to be coached.  

Youga, meditation, you name it

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Exactly.  Letting the guys have a free day means a lot of them will be up on their feet doing stuff, and not really resting.  

Yes but like others have said the mental rest from it is just as if not more important than the physical rest. They are professional athletes so the physical strain is something they can handle but a lot of the team is 25 and younger. The mental aspect of the game is an entirely different challenge. 

They're just like everyone else in this world, sometimes a break from work can do wonders for your abilities to do the job when you come back. Whether that be school, studying, or your career. Mental breaks can do wonders. These guys are human too and need the same things as everyone else.

Edited by Petey40
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

Yes but like others have said the mental rest from it is just as if not more important than the physical rest. They are professional athletes so the physical strain is something they can handle but a lot of the team is 25 and younger. The mental aspect of the game is an entirely different challenge. 

They're just like everyone else in this world, sometimes a break from work can do wonders for your abilities to do the job when you come back. Whether that be school, studying, or your career. Mental breaks can do wonders. These guys are human too and need the same things as everyone else.

It’s the coach’s job to get his team ready to play.  That’s both physically and mentally.  Have them come in and rest their bodies.  I see another terrible slow start again next game.  That’s all on Green.

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It’s the coach’s job to get his team ready to play.  That’s both physically and mentally.  Have them come in and rest their bodies.  I see another terrible slow start again next game.  That’s all on Green.

Sure glad you are not my boss. 
You missed the point. Grace Slick used to sing a song that had a line,”feed your head“

Edited by spur1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, LowerMainLander18 said:

just watched the replay again.

And u're right on that.

Benn was covering his guy. Crouse skated thru Sutts.

Thank u for clarification.

Sutter had me shaking my head several times last night. I couldn’t help but think he has gone the way of Loui. 

9 minutes ago, LowerMainLander18 said:

just watched the replay again.

And u're right on that.

Benn was covering his guy. Crouse skated thru Sutts.

Thank u for clarification.

Sutter is becoming increasingly useless as the season goes on. Himself, Roussel, and Eriksson are the weakest links by a country mile on the forward corps.

• Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Sutter is becoming increasingly useless as the season goes on. Himself, Roussel, and Eriksson are the weakest links by a country mile on the forward corps.

Sutter needs his sleep man. Those dark racoon eyes dont scream healthy human being.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Alflives said:

So if you are working constantly and physically and mentally exhausted that you’re struggling at your job you think the best course of action would be for your boss to bring you into work and continue to push you harder? After all it’s his job to oversee you and have you ready to work right? 

Not one single person on this earth says “Man I could really use some mental and physical rest from my job, I think I’ll go into the office today so my boss can train me how to rest.”