The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Arizona Coyotes at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 04, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Exactly.  Letting the guys have a free day means a lot of them will be up on their feet doing stuff, and not really resting.  

I think the point of the “rest” is to have a day away from the rink where they can think about and do other things. Maybe walk the dog on the sea wall, go out for lunch with their partners, go to a movie. You know, a day off. 

• Cheers 3

11 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

I think the point of the “rest” is to have a day away from the rink where they can think about and do other things. Maybe walk the dog on the sea wall, go out for lunch with their partners, go to a movie. You know, a day off. 

I'm not against this strategy. The stress of losing 4 in a row. Media, fans, pressure growing with every loss. Maybe a day off will give them a nice mental reset. Or we come out flat and get crushed lol.

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

That’s right let’s all be so worried about being fragile that we absolutely must remain soft 

that’s working well isn’t it?

Apparently losing does Not matter now, it’s whether you play well?

hopefully the league will give us a medal of achievement at the end of the season?

What a load of rubbish.

You don't have a clue... If he starts hanging players out in the press, he'll likely lose the dressing room, and then for sure its good bye play offs....as well as Green.

If you are unhappy with a player or more players you deal with them in private. And he may very well have done that, if he was unhappy. 

How would you feel, if you boss started to go around telling everyone, you're useless, worthless piece of sh!t... do you think it'll make you work harder for him???

You may not like Green or certain players, but the players and Green seem to be in harmony. If Green and Benning are unhappy with the attitude or performance of certain players they'll deal with it internally. And then, if possible get rid rid of the player in question, one way or another... 

Lets just assume any of EP, Brock, Bo, Hughes or Miller likes Roussel or Eriksson. The next thing they see the person they care about being slagged off in the press by either Green or Benning, what do think they say to themselves? Next time contracts have to be signed, they'll tell Benning, he can stick his discount deals or whatever he tries to do, as they've now seen first hand that first sign of trouble, they'll be thrown before the wolves....

They are no different to you and me as humans...

And finally, who said anything about losing doesn't matter? We always want to win, but you can actually have been playing well and still be on the losing side... 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

19 hours ago, DarthMelvin said:

Because you know we dont have one and I will tear any reasoning you have for naming sed player. 

Do you really believe that we don't have a puck moving defenseman? if you don't think Quinn Hughes is a puck moving D then what is he? 

If you took away everything that is associated with his puck moving ability he's probably not even an NHL'er. The guy literally is quite allergic to shooting and 95% of the time moves the puck. This is quite a baffling take and I'm genuinely intrigued to hear your reasoning.

Edited by Grape

On 3/6/2020 at 4:13 PM, spook007 said:

If you are unhappy with a player or more players you deal with them in private.

Lets just assume any of EP, Brock, Bo, Hughes or Miller likes Roussel or Eriksson. The next thing they see the person they care about being slagged off in the press by either Green or Benning, what do think they say to themselves? Next time contracts have to be signed, they'll tell Benning, he can stick his discount deals or whatever he tries to do, as they've now seen first hand that first sign of trouble, they'll be thrown before the wolves....

They are no different to you and me as humans...

This is what I'm talking about regarding  Benning and his treatment of Dahlen. 

Is it a coincidence Petey lost his edge last season when Dahlen got in trouble due to Bennings throwing Dahlen under the bus?

In my view Petey got negative stress because how his friend were treated by the GM.

That stress is a pain to have while trying to be at the top of your game. 

Benning doesn't seem to be the guy to say "I'm sorry" in public to Dahlen so this $&!# will probably stay in Peteys head. 

I would be very surprised if Petey took a discount to stay with the Canucks. Benning will probably have to pay for his behaviour. 

• Wat 1

7 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Is it a coincidence Petey lost his edge last season when Dahlen got in trouble due to Bennings throwing Dahlen under the bus?

In my view Petey got negative stress because how his friend were treated by the GM.

Benning doesn't seem to be the guy to say "I'm sorry" in public to Dahlen so this $&!# will probably stay in Peteys head. 

I would be very surprised if Petey took a discount to stay with the Canucks. Benning will probably have to pay for his behaviour. 

You may be right, I’m not so sure... 

Did Benning or Green slag Dahlen off in the press? Don’t remeber too much about...

Dahlen, if I remember correctly, was unhappy at having to play in the AHL? 
Surely Petey knows from his previous experiences in Sweden, that not all friends make it...

And whining in public have never been a good career move...

However, I won’t go too deep into the discussion, regarding how Dahlen was treat or not treated, as I haven’t followed it closely enough. 

29 minutes ago, spook007 said:

You may be right, I’m not so sure... 

Did Benning or Green slag Dahlen off in the press? Don’t remeber too much about...

Dahlen, if I remember correctly, was unhappy at having to play in the AHL? 
Surely Petey knows from his previous experiences in Sweden, that not all friends make it...

And whining in public have never been a good career move...

However, I won’t go too deep into the discussion, regarding how Dahlen was treat or not treated, as I haven’t followed it closely enough. 

This is the quote feom TSN Radio Vancouver.

"Benning on Dahlen: I find sometimes young players now, sometimes they don't want to pay their dues in development time, they just want an NHL opportunity off the start. We just felt there was development left before that, and I guess that's where the discrepancy was..."

This started the whole "hate Dahlen" on the net. 

Benning steered away from any criticism towards Utica or him by laying the blame on a young player. 

Petey knows this and exactly what happened because Dahlen and him see each other every summer in Sundsvall and hang out. 

Petey knows that Dahlen might not be an NHL player so this is only about how Benning talked about it in public. Something Benning should have kept for himself. 

• Wat 1

4 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

"Benning on Dahlen: I find sometimes young players now, sometimes they don't want to pay their dues in development time, they just want an NHL opportunity off the start. We just felt there was development left before that, and I guess that's where the discrepancy was..."

Benning steered away from any criticism towards Utica or him by laying the blame on a young player. 

Petey knows this and exactly what happened because Dahlen and him see each other every summer in Sundsvall and hang out. 

Petey knows that Dahlen might not be an NHL player so this is only about how Benning talked about it in public. Something Benning should have kept for himself. 

Why is that? Dahlen forced Bennings hand. Benning has a right to provide an explanation instead of taking the heat himself. 

This is on dahlen who clearly has some growing up to do. Own your mistakes. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

There’s always 2 sides to any story...

He may have felt that he needed to come out with this statement, as there would possibly have been a revolt amongst the fans, had he traded Dahlen without an explanation? If Dahlen didn’t want to play in the AHL, what else could Benning do?

Also could it be that Benning used it as a warning to the other prospects?

Again I didn’t follow it at the time of the trade, haven’t read too much about it, so I can’t really say one way or another....

But of course you always have to be weary of, what and how you say things in the press....

Edited by spook007

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

There’s always 2 sides to any story...

He may have felt that he needed to come out with this statement, as there would possibly have been a revolt amongst the fans, had he traded Dahlen without an explanation? If Dahlen didn’t want to play in the AHL, what else could Benning do?

Also could it be that Benning used it as a warning to the other prospects?

Again I didn’t follow it at the time of the trade, haven’t read too much about it, so I can’t really say one way or another....

But of course you always have to be weary of, what and how you say things in the press....

I know about those aspects but it's here it shows if Benning is a GM ir not. Benning cound't be a diplomat and chose a middle path that didn't sacrifice a young person just because. 

In my view Benning is a great scout but not a GM. 

• Wat 1

2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Why is that? Dahlen forced Bennings hand. Benning has a right to provide an explanation instead of taking the heat himself. 

This is on dahlen who clearly has some growing up to do. Own your mistakes. 

Dahlen didn't force Bennings hands. Benning could have solved this in multiple ways without laying the full blame on Dahlen. 

Since we don't know exactly what went wrong it's hard for anybody to take a stand.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Timråfan said:

Dahlen didn't force Bennings hands. Benning could have solved this in multiple ways without laying the full blame on Dahlen. 

Since we don't know exactly what went wrong it's hard for anybody to take a stand.

What ways would those be? If a player doesn't want to play on the farm team, forcing you to trade him, what do you tell the media?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TU90 said:

What ways would those be? If a player doesn't want to play on the farm team, forcing you to trade him, what do you tell the media?

Something closer to the truth maybe

"In this cap space age we can't let our young prospects come to quick from Utica because then we can't afford to sign Petey and Hughes when the time comes so we release Dahlen from Utica and wish him the best."

Or

"We have a lot of players in Dahlens position so we let him try his luck somewhere else and we get a player more suitable for us in the long run"

This is just 2,  the first is to honest but the second is decent, takes on it. Benning with his knowledge could probably think of ten more versions.

Just don't put the light on a young prospect. 

6 hours ago, TU90 said:

here let me take a stab at that

one way would have been

is that jb could have blamed the comet coach

and the entire comet organization

for failing to develop the perfect plan for dahlen

that would assured him of a quick and permanent rise to the nuck main team 

and then subsequently could have said the same things about the shark organization

when it failed to assure dahlen's success as well

(and in hindsight, let's throw in the sens organization too)

regardless of whether this was true or not

cuz it cannot be the player

Edited by coastal.view
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Timråfan said:

Something closer to the truth maybe

"In this cap space age we can't let our young prospects come to quick from Utica because then we can't afford to sign Petey and Hughes when the time comes so we release Dahlen from Utica and wish him the best."

Or

"We have a lot of players in Dahlens position so we let him try his luck somewhere else and we get a player more suitable for us in the long run"

This is just 2,  the first is to honest but the second is decent, takes on it. Benning with his knowledge could probably think of ten more versions.

Just don't put the light on a young prospect. 

that is not true

dahlen was not held back

he could not cut it

you and myth making about some of these prospects

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Petey's MUCH more of a competitor/champion than that.  You don't give him enough credit...has NOTHING to do with "feelings".  He's made of steel.  He's being targeted, big time, as the secret to him is out.  But he's so good and is so far away from the drama you suggest that he's actually got little ego and is quite satisfied to help set his brothers up...make more room for them until he finds a way to work around it.  Thing is, that will take some of the attention off him, as teams will start thinking "pass" and he'll be more open to shooting.  He's been off, but I don't think it's because he's mourning another player...he's too focused for that.

• Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

I know about those aspects but it's here it shows if Benning is a GM ir not. Benning cound't be a diplomat and chose a middle path that didn't sacrifice a young person just because. 

In my view Benning is a great scout but not a GM. 

Holy drama, Batman!

Benning did not "sacrifice a young person" or throw anyone "under the bus". Plenty of prospects in the past have been called out by their GMs for wanting too much, too fast. Even coaches and other players have done the same. It's not like Benning is standing at the gate, unwilling to let a deserving Dahlen pass until he has paid his dues. This regime has proven that, if you're good enough, you'll get your chance. It's obvious that Dahlen thought too much of himself, even though he hadn't really proven much in the AHL yet, and sometimes those players are best served by a good kick in the ass.

That said, if Pettersson allowed this to significantly effect his game, we have a problem going forward. This is a business and if such a minor blip on the radar throws Petey off his game, his mental fragility has to come into question. However, since I highly doubt that is the case, I wouldn't worry.

• Cheers 1

The emergence of Virtanen, Gaudette and MacEwen couldn't have come at a better time. When you have Boeser, Beagle, Leivo, Ferland and Markstrom out of the lineup. MacEwen was a free agent signing and Gaudette was a fifth round pick. Benning has built a playoff contender and is only a couple of signings from it being a StanleyCup  contender. Mainly Markstrom and Toffoli.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1