The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2020-2021 Canucks season tickets thread

Rate this topic

WalkWithElias

17 hours ago, layne said:

If they don't come back this year, I won't be coming back.

I've lost my job and I've had to pay back people for a couple upcoming games.

This goes beyond whether or not I come back, there will not be a market for people to buy season tickets to begin with because there is no economy, and certainly no resale market. 

Right now I'm not interested in credit for next season, it's irrelevant.

I can sadly say I am 99% sure I am officially done with the Canucks and I won't be renewing. I was already 95% sure before coronavirus hit. My reasons for it were mostly how much time it takes to resell tickets and how much of a cut the middlemen (TM and stubhub) take. I can't ethically do it anymore. Making huge US corporations rich. Watching fans buy my tickets and pay CRAZY prices. I can't go to all the games but I don't want to spend time reselling the excess basically and giving money to these greedy places. I hope stubhub goes out of business, they sure deserve it. I think I said that a few pages back and I never thought it would happen.

16 hours ago, Curt said:

I agree with you. Season ticket holders better be prepared to watch tons of live games in the foreseeable future. A lot of fans will be scared to death to attend matches surrounded by 18,000 other people and with the refund issues with Stubhub and Ticketmaster, very few will be interested in buying and paying for event tickets months or weeks ahead without knowing if these matches will be postponed again and if they will need to wait for their money. The economy will be down the drain and not just a little bit. Folks will watch on TV but will not have the funds or the will to cough up big bucks to buy tickets. It will be tough for at least a few years I'm afraid. I told my representative (When he emailed me Yesterday) that I would not appreciate if the NHL forced games in July and August down our throats. That would put me off and out. I have zero interest in going into an indoor arena to watch a hockey game in the middle of July or August even if it's for a Canucks playoff game. What a total disaster this is for everybody. 

Agreed. I was surprised when I posted here before about coronavirus (back in early February I think?) and people said they weren't super worried because I could see the wriitng on the wall, although I never imagined this global shutdown. The problem live sports is going to have is that like you said they will just watch it on TV. Going to see hockey live is the most NON essential thing ever. It's a true luxury. Concerts and events will collapse because of this and will probably take 3-5 years to recover.

13 hours ago, jovocop55 said:

I can see a lot of people will be cancelling their tickets next season or the year after..  they won’t have extra money on sports..  salary cap might go down big time.. 

Imagine how bad it will be in Alberta. The Oilers have this brand new arena and pay to the salary cap and insanely high prices far higher than Vancouver. And Calgary has a dump of an arena that needs to be replaced... good luck with that. Tax payers are not going to build a billion dollar arena during an economic meltdown. I think Alberta is going to collapse under the weight of $3 a barrel oil and will drag Canada down with it.

1 hour ago, Hockeyrulz said:

I'd be actually really surprised if we see another live sporting event with fans in attendance in 2020.

I feel that this pandemic is going to affect the start of next season as well.

Could very well see NHL games with 5,000 people in attendance. I've always said, the NHL, NBA, NFL, etc. will not be around forever. Times change. 500 years from now there won't be an NHL with people on ice skates shooting pucks into nets. They will be long gone. Things like esports will take over. Nothing lasts. Maybe in our lifetime we will see these big leagues go bankrupt and no more stadiums packed with 100,000 fans. If pandemics become the new norm, say goodbye to Superbowl.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, DonaldBrashear said:

You will be credited/refunded the amount based on variable member pricing sent to you at the beginning of the season. It was sent in August, titled "Game Categories and Member Variable Pricing". These are the actual prices per game from what I understand.

We only had 6 home games left in the season. They are:

2 x Regular

3 x Regular Plus

1 x Premium

For me, as an Upper Bowl IV Offensive, that means I would get back $31.00 per ticket for the Regular games, $42.55 for the Regular Plus games and $60.25 for the Premium game. So for each ticket I have, I would get back a total of $249.90. My total package cost was $2009.00, so that works out to about 12.4% total of the amount I paid. Keep in mind these are the lowest amounts for UB4. Check your email for proper amounts.

As for credit vs refund, I imagine they will do credits, but if you cancel your membership they will need to refund the difference. Some people may demand cash back because they need to pay back cash paid to them from stubhub. It could get messy once the NHL officially announces they have cancelled the season.

Did u put the down payment for next season before the virus thing kicked off ?

I placed tickets to the Lightning game on StubHub. They sold March 7th but then the money was never transferred to my bank account (fair enough!). Can anyone confirm that this means that I will still be the owner of the tickets and that any refund given on cancelled games will go to me and not the person that purchased the tickets from StubHub?

21 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

I placed tickets to the Lightning game on StubHub. They sold March 7th but then the money was never transferred to my bank account (fair enough!). Can anyone confirm that this means that I will still be the owner of the tickets and that any refund given on cancelled games will go to me and not the person that purchased the tickets from StubHub?

If you had already transferred the tickets to the buyer, then they would become the owner of the tickets.  But If you had sold the tickets via mobile QR code screen shot, then i think in theory you are still the owner of the tickets.

As far as I know, If the game is indeed cancelled, the Canucks will refund you directly.  You will also need to pay back Stubhub for the amount of the payout that you received from them.  But since the money was never transferred to your bank account, I am assuming you don't need to pay them back anything.

18 minutes ago, bt116 said:

You will also need to pay back Stubhub for the amount of the payout that you received from them. 

Good luck to stubhub!!! From my calculations, stubhub has actually overpaid me about $5,000. And you can bet I am not going to make it easy for them to get it back. Stubhub is one of my arch enemies. I remember all the times on the phone with their poorly trained and rude customer service reps. Stubhub always took care of themselves and never cared about their sellers or buyers, just profit. I once made a mistake and mixed up seat numbers, so my 4 tickets got sent to two different people spaced out. To this day I wonder if I actually made the mistake or not because I have seen stubhub's software subsequently mess up seat numbers, but whatever. All I know is stubhub ended up charging me over 100% penalty (not the 40% they say) because they gave the buyers way better replacement tickets. I ended up with a huge loss and stubhub didn't care at all. They got two commissions (mine which they kept and then the commission on the higher priced resale tickets). If you do the math, it is in their best interests to have cancelled sales because they make twice the commission and more money on higher priced tickets. If stubhub had taken 5 minutes out to phone me and ask me I could have fixed the problem but they said that isn't their fault.

If you look online there's thousands of complaints of stubhub charging insane fees. One of the things they do often is, when a sale happens, the tickets disappear from the sellers account but you don't get a "SOLD" email for 40 minutes. This happened to me lots of times and I would call stubhub. They said it is a fraud check. I said to them, what?? Shouldn't you check for fraud before selling the tickets? I asked them during this 40 minute period if the tickets belonged to me still and they said yes, so I said ok I will go sell them somewhere else, and then they said no you can't do that. Stubhub is illegally holding tickets, they are NOT supposed to do that, they are supposed to only facilitate the transfer between buyer and seller. Anyways, back to the disappearing act... because of this, some people get confused and RELIST their tickets, and then the tickets sell a 2nd time. They then get two sold emails and stubhub blames them. Just one example of huge fees being charged to people when they did nothing wrong. And it is a totally unregulated industry with no oversight. For big ticket events like superbowl this can cost people tens of thousands of dollars. So like I said, stubub can chase me down for my $5000 I owe them. In all likelyhood though, it won't be them chasing me down it will be the trustee that is appointed to oversee their chapter 7 bankruptcy who collects. Ha, can you tell I really dislike stubhub?

Edit: I forgot the best part. Stubhub is no longer offering refunds to their customers, even those who they promised they would refund before. They are only giving out a 120% coupon voucher. Even if you bought tickets when the policy was old, they are cash poor so they are refusing to give refunds. So if stubhub can change the rules and screw buyers out of refunds, then sellers can also change the rules. I will give them a 120% coupon for future Canucks tickets. That is my updated policy.

Edited by DonaldBrashear
  • Like 2

This is one of the best opinion pieces I have read on the ticket industry. This is written by Eric Fuller who is a ticket giant and pioneer in the industry. He predicts stubhub will declare bankruptcy in the next two weeks, around April 15th. Well worth a read.

https://medium.com/@ericsfuller/what-will-ticketing-look-like-after-stubhub-files-for-bankruptcy-its-time-to-decide-533bc2e8eeab

• Like 2

I will admit I haven't been listening to sports radio very much but you'd think all of the issues we're talking about on here would be really the biggest discussion. 

What happens to the NHL when only a couple thousand people are going to games? How can a league like the CFL even survive. 

I'm still waiting to be paid for a pair of tickets against NYI on StubHub. Doubt that happens. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, layne said:

I will admit I haven't been listening to sports radio very much but you'd think all of the issues we're talking about on here would be really the biggest discussion. 

What happens to the NHL when only a couple thousand people are going to games? How can a league like the CFL even survive. 

I'm still waiting to be paid for a pair of tickets against NYI on StubHub. Doubt that happens. 

Stubhub paid me  for the NYI game on March 24.  So hopefully they are still processing it for you.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, layne said:

Tough times ahead for NHL. Not sure how they can survive. Especially since it is not just hockey but live events too. I wonder if any of them have insurance to cover this? If so insurance companies might go under.

In regards to being paid for your stubhub ticket - when did the sale occur? It looks like they aren't paying anything that sold after the 8th or 9th potentialy.

My last sale that got paid took place at 4am on March 8th. They paid that out to me on March 24th.

But I sold two other pairs, on March 10th, and neither of them have been paid to me yet.

I suspect I will never get paid for those last two sales, as stubhub now seems to have stopped all payments as they have run out of cash. Once they announce bankruptcy it will hit the industry hard.

7 minutes ago, bt116 said:

I sold the NYI game on Mar 10 at 4am, and they paid me via Direct Deposit March 24th.

I was just selling off a single seat tho.

Since the NYI game was played, that would make it an exception I think. The two games I sold on March 10th were for Anaheim on the 28th. That being said I have heard some people havent been paid for games that were played over a month ago. Going to be a ton of lawsuits but the thing is stubhub has virtually no assets from what I can tell. They don't seem to own any real estate or physical assets. Their company is entirely valued on their brand name and their software (which is awful). Nothing to sue for and no assets to reclaim. It's not like if Boeing went bankrupt they could go and repo all the planes sitting there.

23 hours ago, WalkWithElias said:

has anyone found out about our gift cards yet and know whats happening with remaining balance ?

I didn't ask my representative when we exchanged emails this week but I only have a few bucks left. We got $350. Did someone really have a significant amount of money on their card with only 6 games left in the season? Don't tell me that you were waiting for the playoffs. The Canucks were in crashing/choking mode big time when the season was put to a halt.

31 minutes ago, Curt said:

I didn't ask my representative when we exchanged emails this week but I only have a few bucks left. We got $350. Did someone really have a significant amount of money on their card with only 6 games left in the season? Don't tell me that you were waiting for the playoffs. The Canucks were in crashing/choking mode big time when the season was put to a halt.

I got the full $350 on my card. I was saving it up to take my family and friends out to The Sportsbar during the playoffs, or, if they failed to make the playoffs, then the final Vegas game. Was gonna pay for everyone's meal.

27 minutes ago, DonaldBrashear said:

I got the full $350 on my card. I was saving it up to take my family and friends out to The Sportsbar during the playoffs, or, if they failed to make the playoffs, then the final Vegas game. Was gonna pay for everyone's meal.

Fair enough then and I'm sorry.

Edited by Curt
Incomplete

15 hours ago, Curt said:

Fair enough then and I'm sorry.

No need to be sorry haha. I actually never eat or drink at games. I don't drink alcohol (very rarely) and I don't like any of the food at the games it is mostly junk and overpriced. I usually go for dinner before hand or afterwards. The food has gotten better over the past few years but I still avoid it.

I got over $200 left on my GC. 

was also planning on hitting up the sportsbar and spend up the remaining balance. 

I am quite sure they will extend the expiry date.  It was originally set to expire sometime in June I believe. 

Or Maybe they will let us use it in the Canucks store again so we can use up the remaining balances quickly. 

Edited by bt116