Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Big win!

Big defensive zone effort!

The whole team played hard.

PK improved a lot.

Hughes was amazing.

Miller always play good.

Guarantee line was the key of this game, especially BigMac.

I would like to keep him and Virtanen, two young big fast players in the lineup.

Only have some worry of our goalie.

We are bright to have the playoff trip.

GO CANUCKS GO

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Interesting comparison.  Dionne was on terrible teams though, and had little support.  

He was very difficult to contain or stop, just like MacKinnon. Also, Dionne did play on the triple crown line, which was a very good line.

Edited by aliboy
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

he must still be hurt, or right on the edge of it. I think he's afraid to push his skating harder, poor guys groin is going to rip apart if he pushes harder. 

Saul....this does appear to be the case....I've seen Sutter play a physical hard game...but he is a long way from playing this way.

• Cheers 3

10 hours ago, ABNucksfan said:

Few times tonight I saw opportunities for Bo to lay out big hits... but he didnt.

Bo your an Ox please learn to use your size and strength 

Exactly, same thing for taking a shot on net, a lot of good things can happen when you take a shot on net and hit the net....screen, tip, rebound, pressure toward the net....none of these things can happen if they keep passing it around....same with Bo....use the 225 Ibs to play a physical, beast like game, and the seed gets planted in the other team's heads....if he doesn't play this way, the seed doesn't get planted....also, dropping the gloves once in a while will also plant the seed.

7 hours ago, khay said:

This is a misconception. Bo is consistently outplayed in match ups against MacKinnon's and McDavid's of the NHL.

Obviously no one can completely stop these elite players, they are going to generate chances and play in your zone but there are players that can slow them down and limit grade A scoring chances. These players aren't afraid to play the body and be physical because that is the only way to make up for the difference in skill, speed, and IQ. 

Like Kesler. I think Kesler was one of the reasons how Anaheim was able to beat McDavid's Edmonton a few years back. 

Bo is good with d zone coverage but these stars are elusive and they will make plays if left untouched. Imagine if Bo was defending the Sedins. Sedins would be largely untouched, which means they would make plays and generate chances at will. The only way to slow the Sedins down was to pin them to the board whenever you can, hold them there as long as the refs are willing to let it go, and cross check them. Bo would never be able to stop the Sedins because he is unwilling to do these things.

Beagle for example will play the body. Sutter is deft at checking the stick. Not sure what Bo is good at that makes him an effective shutdown player.

Bo is good enough offensively to keep the other teams top line in the defensive zone, which counts as much as, if not more than playing defense in your zone.  He keeps the best player farther away from our net.  Simple as that.  The other defensive centers get locked down in our zone, a more dangerous situation if they are deployed against top lines.

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, How swede it is said:

Barry Pederson was a very good center.  197 pts in 233 games for Canucks.  The Canucks just weren't very good while he was here.

He scored 120 points with Boston the year before. He had injury problems after he got here too. Still a bad trade for a future perennial 50 goal scoring power forward.

Demko needs to work a bit on his rebound control, too many of them are bouncing right up into the slot just out of his and the defencemen's reach.  That said, this is a HUGE moment in Demko's career, this is the first time he's being relied upon as an NHL starter for any considerable length of time, you have to imagine how much pressure this must be for him right now.  I hope that after this big win that he builds a bit of confidence.

For those of you knocking Demko every time the Canucks lose a game, or he lets in a softie, do you remember Marky in his first year with us?  :sick:   He wasn't always the Marky that he's been the last couple of years.

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, nux4lyfe said:

I'm sure he's a sweetheart but man, Demko let's in way too many softies. Marky's pay raise keeps bumping up.

Yup.  We won last night because the Av’s goalie was terrible.  Chances were about the same I thought.  

• Cheers 1

Just now, Timbermen said:

McEwen should have been in the lineup over Schaller all season. I don't get it, Green doesn't like young power forwards that score like Mac and Virtanen? A guy that can drill the puck of the glass on the PK is more valuable?

Green just said last night he likes Mac a lot and loves the way he plays

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, oldnews said:

I'm not sure how you come to that assumption/conclusion..

Sutter:

2.1 on ice goals against

33.6% ozone starts

on ice save % = .920

+3

Beagle

2.8 on ice goals against

23.7% ozone starts

on ice sv % .911

Horvat

3.6 on ice goals against (highest on the team).

43.4% ozone starts.

on ice sv % .865 (25th on the team).

Beagle, Sutter, Motte - are  not principal penalty killers because...Horvat's too good to kill penalties.

Horvat plays some hard 5 on 5 minutes - and counterpunches well -  but to say he's their best shutdown center =  a curious claim, in terms of both the numbers, and the fact he's 14th on the team in pk ice time.

3 words: Quality of competition. Those stats are meaningless without that context.

I didn't say Bo is our best shutdown center. My point was that he matches up best with Mackinnon's and McDavid's ilk because he actually has the speed and athleticism to (somewhat) keep pace with them, plus the ability to counterpunch as you say with some offensive zone time of his own. If Beagle's or Sutter's line goes up against Mackinnon they spend their whole game in our own zone and likely get scored on more because of it.

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, How swede it is said:

Barry Pederson was a very good center.  197 pts in 233 games for Canucks.  The Canucks just weren't very good while he was here.

He was the return for Cam Neely. The Canucks got 2 good seasons out of him then his numbers plummeted. Meanwhile Neely goes to Boston.

Gets 72 points, 69, 75, 92, and 91. With 74 points in 1993-94. Add to this the Canucks had to include a 1st round pick (3rd overall). 

It was a horrible deal for Vancouver. And a perfect example why you have to be patient with young players. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, khay said:

This is a misconception. Bo is consistently outplayed in match ups against MacKinnon's and McDavid's of the NHL.

Obviously no one can completely stop these elite players, they are going to generate chances and play in your zone but there are players that can slow them down and limit grade A scoring chances. These players aren't afraid to play the body and be physical because that is the only way to make up for the difference in skill, speed, and IQ. 

Like Kesler. I think Kesler was one of the reasons how Anaheim was able to beat McDavid's Edmonton a few years back. 

Bo is good with d zone coverage but these stars are elusive and they will make plays if left untouched. Imagine if Bo was defending the Sedins. Sedins would be largely untouched, which means they would make plays and generate chances at will. The only way to slow the Sedins down was to pin them to the board whenever you can, hold them there as long as the refs are willing to let it go, and cross check them. Bo would never be able to stop the Sedins because he is unwilling to do these things.

Beagle for example will play the body. Sutter is deft at checking the stick. Not sure what Bo is good at that makes him an effective shutdown player.

Unfortunately we don't have a prime Kesler at our disposal. My point was that Bo is a better matchup for for Mackinnon than either one of Sutter or Beagle. Now if we are facing Vegas, Calgary, Dallas, Winnipeg etc then I think Sutter and Beagle are better suited to match those top lines to open up offensive opportunities for Bo. Because those teams don't have players with the game breaking speed and agility of Mackinnon and McDavid.