The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Colorado Avalanche at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 06, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, janisahockeynut said:

On the side note...……...I am talking about a player that can play....aka Dillion type

Big, decent, with a snarl

I would like the Canucks to have one more

Tryamkin and Dillon would be excellent additions for next season.  I see our 

D having Rathbone on it next season too.

Hughes

Tanev

Edler

Myers

Bone

Tree

Dillon

(Maybe OJ?) instead of Dillon. 

1 hour ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Depends on term and price.  He is peaking just at the time most goalies start to trail off.  Risky to pay too much and give term.  Could end up being another LE contract.

Wonder if four years at 6.5 would do it. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

You mentioned Sawchuk.  He too was a prickly bastard.  Roy is a bugger too.  Maybe that’s a trait the truly great goalies need to have?  

Some of the best were definitely quirky.   Broduer and Luongo are maybe the exceptions  pretty level headed and happy guys.   Befour and Barraso were also prickly, same with Smith so you could be on to something.   Parent was something else too, and when he played he had demons too.   Dryden...well let's just say that the better ones usually had big personalities for sure and a little something extra about them. 

• Like 1

Just now, IBatch said:

Some of the best were definitely quirky.   Broduer and Luongo are maybe the exceptions  pretty level headed and happy guys.   Befour and Barraso were also prickly, same with Smith so you could be on to something.   Parent was something else too, and when he played he had demons too.   Dryden...well let's just say that the better ones usually had big personalities for sure and a little something extra about them. 

Does Marky really and truly believe in his core that he’s “the guy”?  Does he have that confidence those other goalies had, who were successful into their mid thirties?  My concern is Marky starts to question his abilities in a year or two.  It’s not like he’s been good before now.  

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I've never met a goalie I didnt think was weird.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Depends on term and price.  He is peaking just at the time most goalies start to trail off.  Risky to pay too much and give term.  Could end up being another LE contract.

Thankfully that doesn't apply to most good ones - and he's just peaking now.  He reminds me of Bishop as a recent example.  Same size, about equal as far as play goes and still pretty dominant.   Rinne also - he was great right up to and past 35.   Miller and Luongo obviously were fine..look and how good Smith is this year and he also had some great seasons in his thirties.   The only position that's really affected from 30-35 are forwards.  Loads of examples of goalies and defenseman having some of their best years in that age range.  Injuries are the only concern for me....otherwise we should be good. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Does Marky really and truly believe in his core that he’s “the guy”?  Does he have that confidence those other goalies had, who were successful into their mid thirties?  My concern is Marky starts to question his abilities in a year or two.  It’s not like he’s been good before now.  

i take it you didn't watch much of the utica calder run

good goalie, good coach, was a great run where marky put the team on his back, check out some highlights packs

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Tryamkin and Dillon would be excellent additions for next season.  I see our 

D having Rathbone on it next season too.

Hughes

Tanev

Edler

Myers

Bone

Tree

Dillon

(Maybe OJ?) instead of Dillon. 

I think the question will be...………...Rathbone or OJ, but not both

That is the question for me...……..although if Rathbone doesn't sign here...…….it kind of answers the question

I get this gut feeling he won't and that he will be better than OJ...………...

Hey, hope I am wrong on both questions

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It took me a while to become a believer too.   His almost 50 save  team record shutout was it for me.   It's kind of hilarious that 30 is over the hill now for NHL players ... As long as he's healthy and they manage his games he should be fine until 35-37.   Good goalies almost always are.   Plus he doesn't have the NHL miles that a lot of other guys had at his age that were also top 5-10.   Check out how many games Broduer played from 30-40.   Bower is even a better example of old goalies kicking ass.  Hasek was just cutting his teeth at 30 too.   I don't think that age is nearly as a concern for good goalies as it is for good  forwards, and a little less for defenseman too.   Lidstrom won his FIRST Norris at 31.... even now some elder journeyman goalies are still around as in Smith and Miller.   Markstrom should be fine until 35-37....by then he will become a back-up as long as he stays healthy. 

Demko isnt the answer (yet at least).  He definitely belongs though and also should get better as he gets closer to 30.  Nowadays most goalies come in around 25-26 too...still have miles on them but not NHL miles like it used to be.  Hart is the first 19-20 year old goalie to come in since MAF (who was even younger)...other then him Murray and before him Jones, which used to be the norm...now super rare.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Dekey Pete said:

Side note: Where did this Chris Tanev Snarl come from this year?  He's been playing like this a lot!  He is showing so much heart it's awesome!

Contract year or maybe he has had enough of no push back. Either way it's nice to see he can be a snarly tanman

5 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I think the question will be...………...Rathbone or OJ, but not both

That is the question for me...……..although if Rathbone doesn't sign here...…….it kind of answers the question

I get this gut feeling he won't and that he will be better than OJ...………...

Hey, hope I am wrong on both questions

The team needs a guy who can replace Edler.   Really doubt we have that in the system but I do think we have enough that with QHs we and Myers signed enough to make it work.   People are overly critical of Myers - he's keeping Edler and Tanev out of the sick bay, kept the team afloat when Elder was out, and it's hilariously obvious how important he is when Stetcher takes his spot when he misses games.   He's like Edler but on the right side.   His offense is snake bitten so far this year - but it's easy to see why his career PPG is similar.   

• Cheers 3

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

sometimes. In Loui's case he's very good defensively, only the biggest haters won't admit that. 

On the scoring side, he does make Bo and Pearson better, or at least they get more offensive chances with him on their line than without him - for most of this year, but not in the last 4 games.

With Loui, shots against drop to 151 and without Loui Bo and Pearson have 202 against. So Loui helps prevent shots against. XGA drops to 10 from 16. So there's a clear benefit there.

Earlier in the year, Loui on that line also had a higher GF% - but thats actually dropped over the losing streak to just under 50%, which is why i think we see Jake being used more like a rover on that line sometimes.

You can check out the numbers here; https://www.naturalstattrick.com/linestats.php?fromseason=20192020&thruseason=20192020&stype=2&sit=5v5&score=all&rate=n&team=VAN&vteam=ALL&view=wowy&loc=B&gpfilt=none&fd=2019-10-02&td=2020-04-04&tgp=2000&strict=incl&p1=8477500&p2=8476871&p3=8470626&p4=0&p5=0

Won't argue he Has a good d game.  

My biggest issue with him is his compete level and the noticable bigger effort I have seen from him in games against at Boston for example.

If his game slowly tailed off since he got here that would be one thing but it dropped right away.  

He has his attributes but I do no respect LE as a very highly paid professional athlete. 

3 hours ago, aliboy said:

Not sure if anyone would agree with me but Nathan MacKinnon is reminding me of Marcel Dionne. 

I don't remember Dionne playing a heavy game like NM can, or being such a strong skater.  But they both have that deceptive wrister.

Of course, it's been a while since I saw Dionne play :)

23 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Thankfully that doesn't apply to most good ones - and he's just peaking now.  He reminds me of Bishop as a recent example.  Same size, about equal as far as play goes and still pretty dominant.   Rinne also - he was great right up to and past 35.   Miller and Luongo obviously were fine..look and how good Smith is this year and he also had some great seasons in his thirties.   The only position that's really affected from 30-35 are forwards.  Loads of examples of goalies and defenseman having some of their best years in that age range.  Injuries are the only concern for me....otherwise we should be good. 

I just wish Marky had a larger sample of work at his  current level.  If they sign him for 5+, they better lock up Ckark for the same term. ::D

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Put a C. The guy is leading through and through. He literally shows everybody else on the team how to play hockey. 

I disagree. Horvat is the captain and it should stay that way.

Wait 2 more years Horvat will be in his prime and Selke nominee.

21 minutes ago, Kragar said:

I don't remember Dionne playing a heavy game like NM can, or being such a strong skater.  But they both have that deceptive wrister.

Of course, it's been a while since I saw Dionne play :)

NM is more like Forsberg than Dionne heh.