The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Saudi Arabia declares oil price war on fellow OPEC (and non OPEC)members.

6 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Think about moving to Quebec. You would love it there.  Such a fantastic province. Montreal is a wonderful place to live. 

:picard:

2 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Alberta didn't give away anything.   I paid federal taxes.   You paid federal taxes.   Billy Bigbucks paid federal taxes.   Those taxes are then spent and transferred.  Having a lot of high paying jobs is why you "gave" Ottawa more than what you got back.  It's the same argument that rich folks try to give when comparing the dollars they paid compared to the dollars their employees paid.  Those rich folks shouldn't/don't get to use that to justify getting more back from the government.   Your argument doesn't get to stand either.

So let's simplify this, Norway got to put that 650 billion in their heritage fund. Do you get it?

Equalization doesn't have to be a thing, it didn't start until the late 50s.

12 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

So let's simplify this, Norway got to put that 650 billion in their heritage fund. Do you get it?

Strome:  Using tax dollars to help out provincial governments: bad.

Also Strome:  Use tax dollars to help out oil companies:  good.

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1
Just now, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Strome:  Using tax dollars to help out provincial governments: bad.

Also Strome:  Use tax dollars to help out oil companies:  good.

When I say that? Your camp loves to until it's Alberta. Even JT admitted how much Alberta has done for Canada...guess you don't agree with everything he says now hey?

48 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

. As our PM goes on TV each day and hands out more money the issue of how this impacts the country's finances is never discussed.

Minority government.  He's just a mouthpiece for a multi party approach to this

17 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Your argument is akin to saying cities and towns that support and employ workers in Norways oil and gas should get more money that those who do not.  The haves should get more than the takers .  That's what you argue for

• Hydration 1
52 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I thought your side argues it's Canada's energy industry?

There is no side. We're all taxpaying Canadians.

But you seem to want to think it's you vs the country if you're not with us you're against us

And THAT is why there's a divide in this nation

• Hydration 1
3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Minority government.  He's just a mouthpiece for a multi party approach to this

That is not how a minority works only in the event the government is going to fall do they negotiate. 

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

There is no side. We're all taxpaying Canadians.

But you seem to want to think it's you vs the country if you're not with us you're against us

And THAT is why there's a divide in this nation

Really? Ontario and Quebec know very little about the West. You live in the West and side with a liberal approach which has very little regard for Western Canada. 

Again, even JT pointed out how much Alberta has done for Canada. I know that doesn't fit your narrative..

23 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

That is not how a minority works only in the event the government is going to fall do they negotiate. 

Really? Ontario and Quebec know very little about the West. You live in the West and side with a liberal approach which has very little regard for Western Canada. 

Again, even JT pointed out how much Alberta has done for Canada. I know that doesn't fit your narrative..

That's... literally how this minority government is working.  

I side with a liberal approach?  Listen to yourself.  I'm saying we're all equal.  No one person does more or less and you're saying that's a liberal approach.

There is no narrative, you're ignorant and quite arrogant and that's it.  You refuse to accept anything but your vision of how things work and degrade anyone who tries to correct you.

We're supposed to be a nation but you refuse to accept that because "Alberta is better" 

• Hydration 1
6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

That's... literally how this minority government is working.  

I side with a liberal approach?  Listen to yourself.  I'm saying we're all equal.  No one person does more or less and you're saying that's a liberal approach.

There is no narrative, you're ignorant and quite arrogant and that's it.  You refuse to accept anything but your vision of how things work and degrade anyone who tries to correct you.

We're supposed to be a nation but you refuse to accept that because "Alberta is better" 

This has to be a joke. You claimed the trans Canada was looked after by the feds I show you that you're wrong and you don't admit it, that's ignorant and arrogant. 

Albertans pay way more into equalization, base it off per person. 

Also why does equalization have to be a thing? You still can't give me  YOUR ANSWER 

On 4/18/2020 at 11:25 AM, Warhippy said:

Canada's equalization program has existed since 1957. It was brought in as a way for the federal government to transfer funds to provinces so that every Canadian, no matter where he or she lived, would receive comparable services at comparable rates of taxation. 

So a Canadian living in a smaller province with a weaker economy would have access to the same public services as one living in a fiscally stronger province, without their tax rates having to go through the roof. 

Who actually pays? 

Not the provinces. Not provincial governments. According to the Library of Parliament, "Equalization is financed entirely from government of Canada general revenues" raised through federal taxes on all Canadians.

In plainer terms: equalization is funded by the federal government from its general revenue, raised through federal taxes, paid for by all Canadians. 

3 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

This has to be a joke. You claimed the trans Canada was looked after by the feds I show you that you're wrong and you don't admit it, that's ignorant and arrogant. 

Albertans pay way more into equalization, base it off per person. 

Also why does equalization have to be a thing? You still can't give me  YOUR ANSWER 

See above.  That is my answer.  That's the ONLY answer.

You want to do away with equalization to line your own pockets but screw over people in rural Manitoba.  New Brunswick.  Northeast BC and wherever else this nation has issues with economic depression.

That's you.  That's not me.  Equalization exists so that EVERYONE has access to the same level of and quality of health, education, serviceable roads and more.

But you want to screw everyone over because you're still under the impression that every year Alberta writes a cheque to the government titled as "equalization"

Now you can whine.  Stamp your feet and bemoan the fact that you'll never be right and as such never accept my answer but it won't change just to suit your fragile ego bud

Albertans do not do more.  They never have.  At what point does that register with you?  Joe in Ft. Mac getting up and working 9-5 does no more or less than Jane in Summerset does when she gets up and works 9-5.

Both work, both paid taxes.  End of story.  That's where equalization comes from and how it works.  Sucks for you if that answer isn't good enough bud

Edited by Warhippy
  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1
26 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

See above.  That is my answer.  That's the ONLY answer.

You want to do away with equalization to line your own pockets but screw over people in rural Manitoba.  New Brunswick.  Northeast BC and wherever else this nation has issues with economic depression.

That's you.  That's not me.  Equalization exists so that EVERYONE has access to the same level of and quality of health, education, serviceable roads and more.

But you want to screw everyone over because you're still under the impression that every year Alberta writes a cheque to the government titled as "equalization"

Now you can whine.  Stamp your feet and bemoan the fact that you'll never be right and as such never accept my answer but it won't change just to suit your fragile ego bud

Albertans do not do more.  They never have.  At what point does that register with you?  Joe in Ft. Mac getting up and working 9-5 does no more or less than Jane in Summerset does when she gets up and works 9-5.

Both work, both paid taxes.  End of story.  That's where equalization comes from and how it works.  Sucks for you if that answer isn't good enough bud

You're so clueless, you really are. There is no right or wrong, you can't say that. Why is it Alberta's job to make sure of the education in Quebec or BC?

I guess when you're so uneducated on things you will endlessly argue it for a couple up votes from the equally uneducated. 

The formula makes it so even during deep recession Alberta will pay equalization, something that wouldn't be the case in Ontario or Quebec. 

4 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

You're so clueless, you really are. There is no right or wrong, you can't say that. Why is it Alberta's job to make sure of the education in Quebec or BC?

As I said

Sucks

For

You

Bud

If this is your version of "education" than for once we agree, your teachers are woefully overpaid because you're teaching people 2+2='s potato

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

As I said

Sucks

For

You

Bud

If this is your version of "education" than for once we agree, your teachers are woefully overpaid because you're teaching people 2+2='s potato

Nah they taught us work hard and you will get paid well instead of crying and being jealous of your neighbours. 

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

This is why so many in Alberta were pizzed our government gave medical supplies to the likes of you.

No, Albertas were "pizzed" for the same reason you keep repeating yourself.  Notice how BC, Saskatchewan and Ontario never spent a dime on Facebook ads to self congratulate when aid was sent during the Ft Mac wildfire or Calgary flooding.  We also never threw it in anyone's faces.  Nor were we "pizzed" about it.

Why?

Because we understand that we're a country.  Not a smattering of self entitled whiners who decry the evils of equalization yet still don't understand how equalization works.

Again, sucks to be you but the answer doesn't change.   Equalization exists so that EVERYONE can access the same levels of and quality of services.  Just because Jonny and his 10th grade education made $80k a year swinging a chain or pipe lock on a deck where as Wendy and her bachelor of fine arts only makes $52k a year in some office doesn't mean Jonny did more than Wendy for anyone.  It means he worked a different job and got paid better, but both paid taxes and both paid in to equalization.  

Why is that so hard to understand?  Honestly.  I paid taxes last year.  I'd imagine you did too.  So therefore we did the same amount of work for equalization.  Hell, if I did my taxes before you I might even claim I did more than you.  But I'd be wrong wouldn't I?

Why?

Because it doesn't change a damned thing about how those monies are derived and why.

• Hydration 1
2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Nah they taught us work hard and you will get paid well instead of crying and being jealous of your neighbours. 

He says while adding yet another comment about how Alberta is better than everyone else but also how Everyone else is doing better or benefitting and Alberta isn't

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

No, Albertas were "pizzed" for the same reason you keep repeating yourself.  Notice how BC, Saskatchewan and Ontario never spent a dime on Facebook ads to self congratulate when aid was sent during the Ft Mac wildfire or Calgary flooding.  We also never threw it in anyone's faces.  Nor were we "pizzed" about it.

Why?

Because we understand that we're a country.  Not a smattering of self entitled whiners who decry the evils of equalization yet still don't understand how equalization works.

Again, sucks to be you but the answer doesn't change.   Equalization exists so that EVERYONE can access the same levels of and quality of services.  Just because Jonny and his 10th grade education made $80k a year swinging a chain or pipe lock on a deck where as Wendy and her bachelor of fine arts only makes $52k a year in some office doesn't mean Jonny did more than Wendy for anyone.  It means he worked a different job and got paid better, but both paid taxes and both paid in to equalization.  

Why is that so hard to understand?  Honestly.  I paid taxes last year.  I'd imagine you did too.  So therefore we did the same amount of work for equalization.  Hell, if I did my taxes before you I might even claim I did more than you.  But I'd be wrong wouldn't I?

Why?

Because it doesn't change a damned thing about how those monies are derived and why.

People donated not governments and you likely gave nothing and laughed.

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

He says while adding yet another comment about how Alberta is better than everyone else but also how Everyone else is doing better or benefitting and Alberta isn't

You guys are doing better because of Alberta. 

Face it your 2 favourite provinces Quebec and BC contribute next to nothing. 

It's fair, even during recession because some uneducated guy said so.

Just think about that. In 57 years, Albertans have paid almost as much in transfers to the rest of the country as the total of our entire federal debt today. It’s a transfer averaging $3,674 per Albertan every year. Over 57 years, it totals $209,418 per Albertan.

but Canada doesn't need Alberta. :lol:

alberta-quebec-4.png

• Upvote 1