Sign in to follow this  
nuckin_futz

Saudi Arabia declares oil price war on fellow OPEC (and non OPEC)members.

Recommended Posts

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

yup I've seen a few people looking at that. 

 

We need to invest our way back into a stable economy, seems pretty clear to me it needs to be a broad-based approach. Oil can take care of itself. 

The Bloc might have stepped up in that regard.  Earlier this week flat out stating they would not support any government bailout that lead to money going to companies that have used, are using or appear to be using offshore tax havens.  They also stated the same that an ownership stake should be present to ensure all companies are following the law by having the government as a representative on any corporate board following bailout monies being taken

  • Hydration 3
  • Vintage 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I see none of our previous conversations have sunk in yet. Other provinces DO attract tech companies (among other things). The BC government has an entire 'Innovate BC' initiative with funding, resources etc for just that. You don't know what you're talking about.

 

And FWIW, no province wants to be an all eggs in one basket, 'tech province'. As Alberta is discovering, (again) being a one industry reliant province is an idiotic recipe for feast and famine.

 

And your whole point about other provinces is a distracting red herring from the issue being discussed. Further subsidizing O&G in Alberta instead of funding people and economic diversity in Alberta is just plain stupid. 

That is really what it comes down to. It may suck to hear for the all oil Alberta camp, but Canada needs to get to a point in which oil is not our top GDP contributor. It can still be top 5 but we need a more balanced portfolio. There will be a transition and it won't be easy but it needs to happen. Alberta will have to adjust accordingly, which for them likely includes implementing some provincial taxes like everywhere else.

  • Hydration 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I see none of our previous conversations have sunk in yet. Other provinces DO attract tech companies (among other things). The BC government has an entire 'Innovate BC' initiative with funding, resources etc for just that. You don't know what you're talking about.

 

And FWIW, no province wants to be an all eggs in one basket, 'tech province'. As Alberta is discovering, (again) being a one industry reliant province is an idiotic recipe for feast and famine.

 

And your whole point about other provinces is a distracting red herring from the issue being discussed. Further subsidizing O&G in Alberta instead of funding people and economic diversity in Alberta is just plain stupid. 

No agent our talk got threw  but like jimmy pointed out in a earlier post Alberta has people and infrastructure but if Alberta want to continue with oil let it. 

 

But it those tech companies needs a province to put a few more eggs in its basket.....

i rather have one strong industry in each province, that way when one crashes then theirs another province strong enough to take over oils spot.......

also it's good business to build up one thing first then funnel the cash you make off the strong into the weaker industries.....

cause if you try to build up everything equally it will actually leave you weaker.....you get what I mean? 

But the thing is oil and gas can still make money but it can't support all of Canada anymore.....

this happens over years......like you said tech companies will be the next leader but that industry isn't strong enough yet......

 

alberta is also a leader in other industries not just oil but how do you diversify such a big earner? Also that's not only an Alberta problem but Canada problem.....

alberta makes less other provinces should be laughing cause they diversified but no one bother to invest in industry growth like Alberta poured money into oil.....and farmer and ranching and so on.....might add Alberta three big guns are all necessity like ranching and farming...... B.c diversified and they arnt better off then Alberta.....

tech is great but other countries are a lot further ahead in that area then us.....China comes to mind ha

no agent I do listen and try to learn from other posters or did I misunderstand your post? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

The Bloc might have stepped up in that regard.  Earlier this week flat out stating they would not support any government bailout that lead to money going to companies that have used, are using or appear to be using offshore tax havens.  They also stated the same that an ownership stake should be present to ensure all companies are following the law by having the government as a representative on any corporate board following bailout monies being taken

What if the bail out where handed out by the provinces so it gave more control to the provinces and see which companies are will to work with local government but I would never sign over a part of my company to JT or Canada. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

they are - where do you think the other 90% of our GDP is coming from? 

 

No one is asking AB to build up other industries for them. Not sure how you're getting that message. 

 

I don't want to see tax money go to prop up oil companies, we need to diversify off oil sooner than later.

I got that from our chat the other day when you said Alberta already has the people and space...

 

I agree but then why not give the power to the provinces to decide? Let provinces decide if they want to do oil bail outs......and if a province doesn't want to spend what they get on oil it's their choice and it's their choice which companies they save......or if a province wants to pour it into another industry 

but Alberta has earned a lot of money over the years so putting their eggs in oil wasn't a bad idea in theory aslong as they continued to invest in other industries......in theory but we all seen how it played out and there hasn't been any industry that has the earning ability as oil but we have to realize where our economy is at without oil and it shows how weak our other industries are.....it also shows how strong some industries are and the ones that show promise but we are still at the promise stages.......

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I got that from our chat the other day when you said Alberta already has the people and space...

 

I agree but then why not give the power to the provinces to decide? Let provinces decide if they want to do oil bail outs......and if a province doesn't want to spend what they get on oil it's their choice and it's their choice which companies they save......or if a province wants to pour it into another industry 

but Alberta has earned a lot of money over the years so putting their eggs in oil wasn't a bad idea in theory aslong as they continued to invest in other industries......in theory but we all seen how it played out and there hasn't been any industry that has the earning ability as oil but we have to realize where our economy is at without oil and it shows how weak our other industries are.....it also shows how strong some industries are and the ones that show promise but we are still at the promise stages.......

 

 

Oh I get it, yes I was arguing that AB has the capacity to have a much broader manufacturing base outside of oil.

 

I'm just fine with the choice part. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

What if the bail out where handed out by the provinces so it gave more control to the provinces and see which companies are will to work with local government but I would never sign over a part of my company to JT or Canada. 

 

Crown corps were almost universally provincial.  But with decades long party rule they get sold, privatized or neutered for private interest with no oversight.  BC Rail....BC Tell, Saskatchewan is a great example as Wall sold everything.

 

At least in federal hands it's a national view and as such has far greater scrutiny.

 

Out any ownership shares under the watch of the CPP.  They run at arm's length of party politics and do quite well 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Oh I get it, yes I was arguing that AB has the capacity to have a much broader manufacturing base outside of oil.

 

I'm just fine with the choice part. 

I get what you mean by steady growth and diversified industries but when starting a company you build one up at a time and once you think it's strong enough you funnel the extra money  into other industries but first you need a money tree and for Alberta that was Oil and if you look at it.....it's not like Alberta didn't pump millions into other industries....in Alberta...

thats where diversity is great but you need an true proven earner to support the other industries until their strong enough to support themselves......

thats why I call some provinces  hobby farms cause they make their money off everything but that's why their small farms......you get what I mean?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Crown corps were almost universally provincial.  But with decades long party rule they get sold, privatized or neutered for private interest with no oversight.  BC Rail....BC Tell, Saskatchewan is a great example as Wall sold everything.

 

At least in federal hands it's a national view and as such has far greater scrutiny.

 

Out any ownership shares under the watch of the CPP.  They run at arm's length of party politics and do quite well 

I guess I'm jaded and don't want the east to make policies when they have no clue about the industry......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

@Warhippy so @stawns was wrong about 20 cents but fuel in Penticton went up 15 cents today.

Literally zero explanation for that at all that they can excuse.  Gasbuddys video the guy was stammering trying to make sense of it but couldn't outside of saying refineries are working double time to bring down supply....

 

Utter crap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Literally zero explanation for that at all that they can excuse.  Gasbuddys video the guy was stammering trying to make sense of it but couldn't outside of saying refineries are working double time to bring down supply....

 

Utter crap

I'm more wondering how stawns knew that. I was at the Tim's on the river channel when he said it. The gas station was 90 cents now 104 today. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I'm more wondering how stawns knew that. I was at the Tim's on the river channel when he said it. The gas station was 90 cents now 104 today. 

Summerland won't change for weeks, or kaleden so I know where to save $10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Summerland won't change for weeks, or kaleden so I know where to save $10

Isn't the reserve always cheaper?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I get what you mean by steady growth and diversified industries but when starting a company you build one up at a time and once you think it's strong enough you funnel the extra money  into other industries but first you need a money tree and for Alberta that was Oil and if you look at it.....it's not like Alberta didn't pump millions into other industries....in Alberta...

thats where diversity is great but you need an true proven earner to support the other industries until their strong enough to support themselves......

thats why I call some provinces  hobby farms cause they make their money off everything but that's why their small farms......you get what I mean?

I do get the meaning, but I also know its not correct. We have a viable manufacturing sector in Canada, we have forestry, fishing, agriculture, aerospace, medical devices, pharmaceuticals - none of these things are "hobbies". They are all sectors we can build on and become a much more resilient economy because these things all don't crash at the same time. And I don't want to get rid of oil, I just don't want to invest tax dollars into it. 

  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I'm more wondering how stawns knew that. I was at the Tim's on the river channel when he said it. The gas station was 90 cents now 104 today. 

Here's a picture of stawns filling up his car....'yesterday'...

 

backtofuture2-xlarge.thumb.jpg.c420fc36d2c562236d59eeb195c5ef9b.jpg

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I do get the meaning, but I also know its not correct. We have a viable manufacturing sector in Canada, we have forestry, fishing, agriculture, aerospace, medical devices, pharmaceuticals - none of these things are "hobbies". They are all sectors we can build on and become a much more resilient economy because these things all don't crash at the same time. And I don't want to get rid of oil, I just don't want to invest tax dollars into it. 

I totally disagree. I feel globalization has killed that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Isn't the reserve always cheaper?

One cent.  Not worth the worry.  Safeway does gas saver coupons of 4, 5, 7 and 10 cents and from empty that 5 cents is only a $3.20 saving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

One cent.  Not worth the worry.  Safeway does gas saver coupons of 4, 5, 7 and 10 cents and from empty that 5 cents is only a $3.20 saving.

Oic. Ya maybe BC is gouging. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

I totally disagree. I feel globalization has killed that. 

I see people say that a lot.

 

Manufacturing is a cornerstone of our modern economy. Accounting for approximately $174 billion of our GDP, manufacturing represents more than 10% of Canada's total GDP. What is more, manufacturers export more than $354 billion each year, representing 68% of all of Canada's merchandise exports. All of this adds up to 1.7 million quality full-time, well-paying jobs—all across the country. And as the sector has modernized, manufacturers have become innovative and high-tech, relying on a highly skilled and knowledgeable workforce that includes designers, researchers, programmers, engineers, technicians and tradespeople.

Canada's manufacturing industry has huge potential for Canada's economic future. The world is changing, and new technologies are not just opening new markets for Canadian goods, they are changing the ways these goods are produced. For manufacturing in Canada to remain a vibrant, innovative and competitive contributor to our economy, business and government will need to work together. A vibrant manufacturing community encourages industrial clusters that develop skills, knowledge and technology. Success breeds success: when Canada's manufacturers grow and compete, they act as magnets for new investment and for new young people wanting to be part of this great industry, making the products of tomorrow.

 

https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/mfg-fab.nsf/eng/home

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.