The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Saudi Arabia declares oil price war on fellow OPEC (and non OPEC)members.

nuckin_futz

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I see people say that a lot.

Manufacturing is a cornerstone of our modern economy. Accounting for approximately $174 billion of our GDP, manufacturing represents more than 10% of Canada's total GDP. What is more, manufacturers export more than $354 billion each year, representing 68% of all of Canada's merchandise exports. All of this adds up to 1.7 million quality full-time, well-paying jobs—all across the country. And as the sector has modernized, manufacturers have become innovative and high-tech, relying on a highly skilled and knowledgeable workforce that includes designers, researchers, programmers, engineers, technicians and tradespeople.

Canada's manufacturing industry has huge potential for Canada's economic future. The world is changing, and new technologies are not just opening new markets for Canadian goods, they are changing the ways these goods are produced. For manufacturing in Canada to remain a vibrant, innovative and competitive contributor to our economy, business and government will need to work together. A vibrant manufacturing community encourages industrial clusters that develop skills, knowledge and technology. Success breeds success: when Canada's manufacturers grow and compete, they act as magnets for new investment and for new young people wanting to be part of this great industry, making the products of tomorrow.

https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/mfg-fab.nsf/eng/home

Why shouldn't it be more? 

Look at Walmart and Canadian tire, made in china, Vietnam, etc.

I understand wages for manufacturing that would be more expensive but how did Canada and the US make it work so successfully years ago?

14 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

I understand wages for manufacturing that would be more expensive but how did Canada and the US make it work so successfully years ago?

you're right, it should be more. And it can be a lot more. We have so many great small companies that we can build from, we don't have to start from zero. 

We did race to the bottom on price on many things and gave up our capacity to some degree, but there's nothing stopping us from getting it back as there are many new opportunities now than when we first gave it up back in the 80s. 

• Cheers 2

It's the lack of IP protection in China too.

There is a strategy by China where they invite overseas company to manufacture there.  Get as much tech and information as possible, then make it difficult for said company to operate, perhaps even starting a nearly identical product to compete.  Undercut the original company, ignore all potential lawsuits..... then profit.  

A good example would be the company Segway.  I think they eventually got bought-out by a company that stole their tech.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you're right, it should be more. And it can be a lot more. We have so many great small companies that we can build from, we don't have to start from zero. 

We did race to the bottom on price on many things and gave up our capacity to some degree, but there's nothing stopping us from getting it back as there are many new opportunities now than when we first gave it up back in the 80s. 

9 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

It's the lack of IP protection in China too.

There is a strategy by China where they invite overseas company to manufacture there.  Get as much tech and information as possible, then make it difficult for said company to operate, perhaps even starting a nearly identical product to compete.  Undercut the original company, ignore all potential lawsuits..... then profit.  

A good example would be the company Segway.  I think they eventually got bought-out by a company that stole their tech.  

Thanks guys. It likely is more complexed then I understand but it just seems like everything we need these days is manufactured in China.

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

Thanks guys. It likely is more complexed then I understand but it just seems like everything we need these days is manufactured in China.

a lot of it is, but we actually can still make all of it here too. Even with globalization issues, our manufacturing sector taken as a whole is on par with oil and gas from a GDP perspective and employs more people. Its a good story. 

One thing thats always annoyed me about all our auto-bail out money is we never ended up with a Canadian car manufacturer. And the blame for that goes to - you guessed it - that lump Harper. Magna was set to purchase Opel and start producing our own cars, here and in Europe. GM got Harper to block it due to his hate for the Stronach family. 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

a lot of it is, but we actually can still make all of it here too. Even with globalization issues, our manufacturing sector taken as a whole is on par with oil and gas from a GDP perspective and employs more people. Its a good story. 

One thing thats always annoyed me about all our auto-bail out money is we never ended up with a Canadian car manufacturer. And the blame for that goes to - you guessed it - that lump Harper. Magna was set to purchase Opel and start producing our own cars, here and in Europe. GM got Harper to block it due to his hate for the Stronach family. 

1) This has always annoyed me.

2) I never knew that.

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/gm-kills-magna-purchase-of-opel-vauxhall-1.781113

Harper sold Magna out for a promise to keep more GM plants in Canada, which of course dried up a few years later anyway. 

Well that sucks.

I remember one time Layton making the comment if Chrysler closed plants they can't sell their vehicles here. Great idea but GM, Chrysler and Ford don't need us, which is why I would like at least one Canadian auto maker.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Well that sucks.

I remember one time Layton making the comment if Chrysler closed plants they can't sell their vehicles here. Great idea but GM, Chrysler and Ford don't need us, which is why I would like at least one Canadian auto maker.

now you see why I hated Harper, he pissed me off on multiple levels :lol:

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Well his hatred for Belinda bothers me, even when she turned liberal I couldn't hate her.:wub:

I miss good old centrist leadership. Thats why I was really hoping Ambrose would win the CPC leadership. We need a sensible person running things for the next 10 years to get out of this crisis properly. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I miss good old centrist leadership. Thats why I was really hoping Ambrose would win the CPC leadership. We need a sensible person running things for the next 10 years to get out of this crisis properly. 

Sure, that's why I liked her..

I applaud your ability to admit when you can realize you don’t know what you’re talking about or understand the full magnitude of what other posters are saying to you. 

There’s hope for you yet I believe. 

In this particular conversation, I give you my hat tip. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

I applaud your ability to admit when you can realize you don’t know what you’re talking about or understand the full magnitude of what other posters are saying to you. 

There’s hope for you yet I believe. 

In this particular conversation, I give you my hat tip. 

If only you did the same.

7 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

If only you did the same.

I generally don’t speak before informing myself on a topic or relying on accurate information that I already possess. You should do that as well. 

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I generally don’t speak before informing myself on a topic or relying on accurate information that I already possess. You should do that as well. 

Lol yes you do and I usually only speak on things I'm familiar with. The far left like yourself always think you are right on everything. 

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

Lol yes you do and I usually only speak on things I'm familiar with. The far left like yourself always think you are right on everything. 

Ugh I check in and the first thing I see is 'far left'. Classic dumb dumb stuff.