The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gas Price Gouging in BC!!!!

Lazurus

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Doesn't BCs lower mainland have additional fuel taxes the rest of BC doesn't have?

Stop that. We have a world of ignorance being spewed here. To much fun. Being overly confident in what you don’t know is to much entertainment.

• Haha 2

Just now, Canuckster86 said:

But you sacrifice where your living, what there is to do and your friends/family that your leaving behind.

Meh, that’s everywhere and part of being an adult. If one has the luxury, go where the money is and where the safest and best place for your own family unit, is. For me, it was Manitoba. I also work for an organization that’s based out of and has its head office in Toronto, but I work out of my home in Manitoba. So, I’m even more fortunate to be paid well, and have the luxury to stay where I’m at.

Plus, with the vacation I negotiated when I started, as well as the additional money I save living in a more affordable province, family and I get to travel more and save more. Making visiting family in Vancouver that much more relaxing.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

True, but they would figure out a way somehow...they want there revenue too. I am interested to see when electric trucks come out and the km they can travel in between charges

I would be interested to know if they could ever find out exactly and if they would ever do anything about it.  Currently my EV charger is running off a 20amp breaker, I got the same sized breaker for my shop heater, I got a 30amp for my hot tub so realistically my EV charger looks like it could just be another heater running.  My hot tub costs more per month to run than my EV charger does by far, really theres not a whole lot of power drawn by cars overall.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Monty said:

Meh, that’s everywhere and part of being an adult. If one has the luxury, go where the money is and where the safest and best place for your own family unit, is. For me, it was Manitoba. I also work for an organization that’s based out of and has its head office in Toronto, but I work out of my home in Manitoba. So, I’m even more fortunate to be paid well, and have the luxury to stay where I’m at.

Plus, with the vacation I negotiated when I started, as well as the additional money I save living in a more affordable province, family and I get to travel more and save more. Making visiting family in Vancouver that much more relaxing.

The majority in BC are house poor. Could never live that way. BC is beautiful but it's beauty comes at a cost, stress, anxiety, working 2 jobs just to get by, no thanks.

You have the exact proper attitude, plus it's a better life for your kids.

• Cheers 3

11 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

The majority in BC are house poor. Could never live that way. BC is beautiful but it's beauty comes at a cost, stress, anxiety, working 2 jobs just to get by, no thanks.

You have the exact proper attitude, plus it's a better life for your kids.

With the first bolded part, that reminds me of a saying my grandfather taught me growing up, “You can’t eat the scenery.”

With the second bolded part, I was talking to my brother in-law about this last week when he and his family came to visit. “When my children are in school, they teach that 5 x 5 = 25 in Manitoba, just like they do everywhere else. My kids will learn what they need to no matter the province. Here, if they struggle and they need more time with me after school, or we need to hire a tutor, we have the time and money. We wouldn’t if we lived in the Lower Mainland. My kids are everything. Working 12 hours a day, hating my commute, and being stressed out all the time (and bringing home that stress) is not worth the scenery, of which I can’t eat.”

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

Love this. Let us geek out....

First off, BC has a lot of hidden tax.

Not sure if you hinted at this or not but.....

GST and PST are set up to be taxed at the end of the value chain so....in theory no double taxation.

There are instances of gross double taxation.

Car sales for one.

Like how Company A pays tax on goods and services that it needs to produce what they sell.  That tax is included in their cost of goods sold, which gets taxed again after they sell their finished product.  Sound familiar?  Remember how those taxes were recoverable under the HST system? 

The end result of course it that the consumer either pays more or the company is less competitive v foreign companies importing similar goods.  So, it either raises inflation or costs local jobs.  

Ya, and we all voted to cancel the HST in a referendum.

Still pissed off?  You bet!

6 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Like how Company A pays tax on goods and services that it needs to produce what they sell.  That tax is included in their cost of goods sold, which gets taxed again after they sell their finished product.  Sound familiar?  Remember how those taxes were recoverable under the HST system? 

The end result of course it that the consumer either pays more or the company is less competitive v foreign companies importing similar goods.  So, it either raises inflation or costs local jobs.  

Ya, and we all voted to cancel the HST in a referendum.

Still pissed off?  You bet!

Except....

PST is not charged on goods purchased for resale nor is it charged on services. By default, it cannot be in cogs. They get an exemption.

Edited by Chris12345

10 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Remember how those taxes were recoverable under the HST system?

No, they were not recoverable. HST was 2% more. As a business it was good for me but as a citizen it was not.

BTW I saw gas at $1.19 litre last night in Richmond SuperSave, 5 road and westminster hwy.

17 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

The money people save on gas, will be spent in other places...……….taxes will still be collected

Don't think for a second the Government won't get their taxes...…..see above

Plus, Hydro will have you by the balls more than they already do. 

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

Except....

PST is not charged on goods purchased for resale nor is it charged on services. By default, it cannot be in cogs. They get an exemption.

If only PST were that simple, but it's 100% not.

On 3/8/2020 at 6:59 PM, Ryan Strome said:

Doesn't BCs lower mainland have additional fuel taxes the rest of BC doesn't have?

Yes, transit levies.  I believe it’s around 16 cents a litre in LM and 6 or 7 cents in Capital region. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/9/2020 at 10:50 AM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Last night I come from my sisters. Gas at $1.22 a litre at the Chevron, and there was a line up. Like a lemming I waited in line.

Then the stock market this morning. Bet you Pumpkinhead finds an excuse to invade Iran. 

86.9 today. Costco is like 77.9 apparently. 

Cmon people phone your MLA about this it is ridiculous.

1.29 cents a litre all day today in Vancouver In Toronto it was .92 cents a litre, In Montreal and Ottawa 82 cents a litre, in Edmonton 77 cents a litre and in Washington state 86 cents a litre Canadian.

Phone your MLA about this price gouging, say no more to "what the market will bear" pricing, or maybe the BC gov needs more revenue they are a partner through taxation, the higher the price the more they get.

Phone your MLA, email, text whatever 1.29 - .82 = 47 cents a litre extra we are paying.

Edited by Lazurus

2 hours ago, sonoman said:

Still 1.39 on the island.  Getting really tired of the highway robbery 

Really get people to phone their MLA.

Call the radio stations, tv outlets friends, the more that talk, well, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease"

Just as bad today still. If nobody says anything then nothing happens. We should be within 10 cents a liter of Alberta.

40 cents a litre or almost twice as much as in Alberta is pure robbery, 70 cents a liter in Alberta, 1.39 in BC? 69 cents a litre twice as much

Maybe a class action lawsuit? I am in.

Edited by Lazurus
  • Cheers 1