The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs New York Islanders | Mar. 10, 2020 7 PM PDT | Canucks For Kids Telethon

Rate this topic

Templeton Peck

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Virtanen maybe not playing tonight as a healthy scratch?  I’m happy Bess is back, but Loui must be the guy coming out.  We need speed.  

Nope, no speed.

We need a player who can hit an empty net if the oppurtunity presents itself - Alf!

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, StealthNuck said:

The lineup decision tonight is so spicy. Can't wait. 

Just heard on the radio that Motte is available.  We all know Loui and Motte are in, so it’s between Big Mac and Jake who sits out.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

No I’m not trolling.  I’m a huge homer, and just want us to win the cup.  I don’t see Green as a coach who can deliver that end.  

Green, JB, and our owner have all stated we are a playoff team.  JB brought in Miller, Myers, and Tofu.  Are we a good team, or a bad team?  IMO we are a good team that is poorly coached.  What’s the other choice?  We’re a crap team, and the coach is doing the best he can?  I don’t accept that our team is crap.  

I respect the huge homer and wanting us to win. I am 50, born and raised in East Van, so I can relate.

I don't think it is as black and white as "good" or "crap"

We are a mediocre > good team 

Offense 7 maybe 8 / 10 average, but there are times we are lower

Goaltending 9 / 10 most nights

Defencemen  5  / 10

Team Defense  5 / 10

Special Teams 7 / 10

Leadership 6 / 10

Coaching 7 / 10

If we want to be a good team, ie make the playoffs, our offense has to outscore our defensive woes. When we have a third line scoring, we can do that. If we are relying on EP and Bo lines to do all of our forward scoring, we are in trouble. This time of year teams/coaches pay more attention to matchups - so EP gets a lot more focus on him. 

That's why JV18 is often on the third line - they need secondary scoring from that line in order to offset the dip in production that can happen with the top line. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

Do you really believe that Motte is better then LE?   Think you've drank too much CDC koolaid.  I'm sure he's fine.  We'd need at least one more forward before LE's pushed out. 

He may not be better but he contributes a heck of a lot more than what Loui brings.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

Do you really believe that Motte is better then LE?   Think you've drank too much CDC koolaid.  I'm sure he's fine.  We'd need at least one more forward before LE's pushed out. 

The "analytics" say LE is a far, far better player.  But as a 4th line energy player, Motte is a 'energizer bunny' (which is all you really want in that type of role).  That kind of enthusiasm is infectious like the Corona virus.  I've seen more cadavars that shown more signs of like on the ice than LE (not that I hang around dead bodies :ph34r:).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rychicken said:

I respect the huge homer and wanting us to win. I am 50, born and raised in East Van, so I can relate.

I don't think it is as black and white as "good" or "crap"

We are a mediocre > good team 

Offense 7 maybe 8 / 10 average, but there are times we are lower

Goaltending 9 / 10 most nights

Defencemen  5  / 10

Team Defense  5 / 10

Special Teams 7 / 10

Leadership 6 / 10

Coaching 7 / 10

If we want to be a good team, ie make the playoffs, our offense has to outscore our defensive woes. When we have a third line scoring, we can do that. If we are relying on EP and Bo lines to do all of our forward scoring, we are in trouble. This time of year teams/coaches pay more attention to matchups - so EP gets a lot more focus on him. 

That's why JV18 is often on the third line - they need secondary scoring from that line in order to offset the dip in production that can happen with the top line. 

I don’t want to have our goal to be just mediocre though.  I want a team that can compete for the cup for the time we have Petey and Hughes.  I think Podkolzin is going to be another superstar.  We need one more of that super talent of player on D.  Maybe Rathbone? If he is, we’re good to go.  If he’s not, where does that much needed guy come from other than the draft?  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 6string said:

Boeser should be with his reguular linemates, he's been away for a awhile.

So Green has Brock finding new chemistry on top of being rusty.

not sure its that big of a deal, I suspect Brock isn't going to see a ton of minutes tonight. I do think him being on PP2 might turn out to be a great idea, he should get more chances facing other teams 2nd PK units, so that might be a way of generating some more offence. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

not sure its that big of a deal, I suspect Brock isn't going to see a ton of minutes tonight. I do think him being on PP2 might turn out to be a great idea, he should get more chances facing other teams 2nd PK units, so that might be a way of generating some more offence. 

If Brock isn’t ready to go, he shouldn’t be playing.  Here’s where I will defend Green.  It’s not his job to ease a guy in.  He’s got enough going on without worrying about if Brock is ready.  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don’t want to have our goal to be just mediocre though.  I want a team that can compete for the cup for the time we have Petey and Hughes.  I think Podkolzin is going to be another superstar.  We need one more of that super talent of player on D.  Maybe Rathbone? If he is, we’re good to go.  If he’s not, where does that much needed guy come from other than the draft?  

Trade one of the Young forwards for a Young D

• Like 2

Just now, Alflives said:

If Brock isn’t ready to go, he shouldn’t be playing.  Here’s where I will defend Green.  It’s not his job to ease a guy in.  He’s got enough going on without worrying about if Brock is ready.  

I think he's mentally ready, but probably needs shorter shifts or more time between shifts just because he's been out for a month. We don't really have time left in the year to wait for him to get 100% game shape, 80% is going to have to do. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think he's mentally ready, but probably needs shorter shifts or more time between shifts just because he's been out for a month. We don't really have time left in the year to wait for him to get 100% game shape, 80% is going to have to do. 

Good points Jimmy.  We’re all hands on deck, aren’t we.  

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Agree on this. Pp2 also have more of a shoot first mentality which might suit Brock better. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1