The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lottery Simulator Time.... sigh

Rate this topic

Provost

22 minutes ago, Gaudette Celly said:

*SNAP* go the ankles of all the fickle bandwagoners and faint-hearted who can't handle adversity, let alone losses.

As a long time fan of this team, I'm completely immune to losing. It doesn't bother me at all. The team is still competing for a playoff spot even with the spotty play as of late. I'll take that over being long out of it!

• Cheers 1

On 3/10/2020 at 11:05 AM, Alflives said:

Stech is worth nothing.  He’s a coming RFA, who’s qualifying offer will be close to three million.  He’s following Hutton to UFA status July 1.  

JB did mention he did receive calls about Stetch and not the other way around. 

So this is a misinformation unless JB strategically lied about that. 

I don't know if it is lottery simulator time yet but I think the next two games will determine which direction the season ends up. And yes I am aware that the mathematical in or out won't happen until likely game 80 or so, the next two games will give us an indicator of how this team will respond to the challenge of winning meaningful games. I have not run the simulator and likely won't. As far as the Canucks luck goes it seems unlikely they win anything regardless of their odds so running a simulator that doesn't take into account Canuck luck seems pointless. Kidding - it will be what it will be, it is just more fun to blame it on Canuck luck. 

And as far as Stecher goes - he needs to be qualified at 100% of his current salary - so 2.325 million (source CapFriendly).  Unlike Hutton, I think Stecher's value is very close to that so he will have some trade value or could even be re-signed. Hutton was at 2.8 million and the Canucks were not wanting to pay him that going forward. The direction the Canucks take with Stecher is dependent on too many moving parts to predict - where the cap ends up; how much it costs to re-sign Tanev, Markstrom, Virtanen, etc.; if Rafferty is ready; what happens with Tryamkin. I also think if Benning is willing to trade Boeser and sign Toffoli that will also play a big factor in Tanev and Stecher's status with the Canucks (assuming a D in return). Another wrinkle will be what happens if they miss the playoffs this year. Fun to predict but I get a sense there will be more change than we think this off season.  

• 11 months later...
48 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

@Provost

Here's an old bump, mate. Proof you were worried last yr too! :^) Look at the Edmonchuk bubble-run we almost went on, ferGawdsakes!

Look at the recent drafting too! It's time the sun continuously shone on CDC, & we all stopped biting our nails about possible lousy detours.

Canucks had also won 2 of their last 3 games before the season shut down as well and so it was within reason to argue that the Canucks were coming out of their slump (in actuality, their poor play was far more related to fatigue which was caused by a brutal travel schedule).

Those last 2 of 3 wins came against Colorado and NYI by the way (two very respectable teams that made 2nd round appearances during the post season).

• Vintage 1

On 3/9/2020 at 10:00 PM, King Heffy said:

Aint touching this thing until we have no realistic shot at the playoffs.  Way too early to even consider tanking.

Go Canucks.

Tanking is not EVER an option in Vancouver,  so why even bring it up? If it's not clear by now that this organization will never , for any reason ever try to lose for a draft spot,  I don't know what it's going to take. It's a non topic or discussion,  but people still seem to get something out of the suggestion it's a thing. I dont get it. It's not a thing , and it never will be here. 

Edited by cuporbust

On 3/9/2020 at 9:46 PM, Coconuts said:

I refuse to touch the thing. If experience has taught me anything it's that if we're in the running for a lottery pick we're going to drop a spot or two. 

Yeah it sucks but JB seems to had made up for it somehow and he has never drafted higher than fifth as Canuck GM, despite the standings - hopefully he keeps it going cause the best way acquire a star talent is through the team.     Looking at the schedule we had played a lot of games, hopefully that part of the schedule is behind the team and they can focus on making the playoffs.   

On 3/10/2020 at 12:45 PM, DontMessMe said:

Arizona is gonna win the lottery this year. Mark my words. Cuz Taylor Hall is the secret 

Arizona has a good chance cause that team needs a #1 pick to save it; although, Rangers had done well in these past two drafts (picking 1st and 2nd) - perhaps the NHL trying to save one of its original six franchise with these picks.    

9 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

@Provost

Here's an old bump, mate. Proof you were worried last yr too! :^) Look at the Edmonchuk bubble-run we almost went on, ferGawdsakes!

Look at the recent drafting too! It's time the sun continuously shone on CDC, & we all stopped biting our nails about possible lousy detours.

Golden bump.  Well played.

2 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah it sucks but JB seems to had made up for it somehow and he has never drafted higher than fifth as Canuck GM, despite the standings - hopefully he keeps it going cause the best way acquire a star talent is through the team.     Looking at the schedule we had played a lot of games, hopefully that part of the schedule is behind the team and they can focus on making the playoffs.   

I stand by my comment, even if this season goes off the rails somehow 

We just don't have any luck when it comes to lottery balls, any luck we get comes from teams in front of us deciding to go off the board which is how we wound up with Hughes