The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fixing Team Defensive Structure - What does Green need to do?

Rate this topic

wallstreetamigo

I am genuinely curious to see what you guys think needs to be done specifically to fix what is clearly a consistent lack of a cohesive 5 man defensive structure. 

In the last 2 games alone we saw numerous high danger slot chances including 4 of the last 5 or 6 goals the Canucks have given up coming from missed assignments and wide open players right in the slot. 

I think some of this comes from over committing and being a bit too aggressive on the puck carrier, as we saw when MacKinnon would drive wide then circle back into the slot uncontested or find that traiking guy with nothing but time and space. Against Columbus both goals saw our players chasing. But it also seems the forward is routinely missing picking up that trailing player in those scenarios too.

I am not looking for the fire green or get rid of X defenseman comments here but some genuine ideas about what the Canucks need to do better with what they have. 

One thing is clear. You can't expect to win games giving up that volume of high quality chances. Markstrom was clearly bailing them out all year in regards to their defensive zone coverage breakdowns. Even Demko did in the last two games despite the goals against. 

I feel like its more than players not committing to team defense. It feelslike a structure issue with the frequency it happens.

Thoughs?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Like I said, its not about firing Green. Some teams get a bump replacing a coach but not usually this close to the end of the season and its usually a situation where the team is underperforming expectations. I think the Canucks have actually exceeded expectations this year for the most part. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Like I said, its not about firing Green. Some teams get a bump replacing a coach but not usually this close to the end of the season and its usually a situation where the team is underperforming expectations. I think the Canucks have actually exceeded expectations this year for the most part. 

If our team isn’t very good, as you say, then why did JB start trading away the future to get players to help now?  Why did he sign Myers, Beagle, Rooster, and Benn?  IMO, these moves are the indication JB believes we do have a good team.  The message in words and actions from management (the owner too) at the start of this season is this group is ready to be a playoff team, and that’s their goal.  Green said it too.  IMO our team would be 10 points better with better coaching.  

Petey40 has the right idea. Using the same level of physicality in the defensive zone as they do on the forecheck would go a long way towards solidifying play in their zone. Benning may need, in the offseason, to acquire another larger, more aggressive defenseman to help implement a more punishing presence in their own end. Brenden Dillon checks those boxes, as he's a big, hardnosed player, who is extremely responsible in his own end.

Who draws up the plays for the defense anyways? Is that Green, or is it Baumgartner? Either way, they need to branch out and add more pages to their playbook if they have any hopes of seeing a playoff game.

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If our team isn’t very good, as you say, then why did JB start trading away the future to get players to help now?  Why did he sign Myers, Beagle, Rooster, and Benn?  IMO, these moves are the indication JB believes we do have a good team.  The message in words and actions from management (the owner too) at the start of this season is this group is ready to be a playoff team, and that’s their goal.  Green said it too.  IMO our team would be 10 points better with better coaching.  

I didn't say our team wasn't good. I said they have exceeded expectations.

I do think our team is good. Still a few tweaks away from being a consistently conpetitive team. At some point that may include a coaching change of course.

But in the here and now with less than 20 games to go and a roster that is pretty much set until the offseason, what does firing green accomplish to move the team forward? Not much most likely. 

The reason for this topic was to discuss the changes Green needs to make in the moment, not debate if firing him is the answer. 

I just don't think expecting this team to withstand their first pressure packed stretch run while having to learn new systems, coaching, etc with a remaining schedule that already severely limits their opportunities for practice time is going to provide the sudden turnaround some expect. 

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Replacing Green with an experienced NHL coach, who the players will both trust and respect (BABS BABY!) is the only way to fix both our systems and passive philosophy.  

You do know that pretty much every player who ever played for Babcock hates him as a human being with all the heat of 1000 burning suns right?

Babcock imo is the most overrated coach in NHL history. He had stacked all in Red Wing teams to build his legacy on. And in TO he accomplished the equivalent of a pile of steaming $&!# as a coach, presiding over a mentally fragile team who took the whole 12 inches from the Bruins in the playoffs. 

Hard no to Babs. If you fire Green you hire Gerard Gallant, end of story. 

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Upvote 3
  • Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

You do know that pretty much every player who ever played for Babcock hates him as a human being with all the heat of 1000 burning suns right?

Babcock imo is the most overrated coach in NHL history. He had stacked all in Red Wing teams to build his legacy on. And in TO he accomplished the equivalent of a pile of steaming $&!# as a coach, presiding over a mentally fragile team who took the whole 12 inches from the Bruins in the playoffs. 

Hard no to Babs. If you fire Green you hire Gerard Gallant, end of story. 

Moreover, we have a young team. Babcock does not like young players.

Looking forward to our new first line being Beagle, Roussel and Eriksson. Because they're gritty veterans who have put their time in.

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Petey40 has the right idea. Using the same level of physicality in the defensive zone as they do on the forecheck would go a long way towards solidifying play in their zone. Benning may need, in the offseason, to acquire another larger, more aggressive defenseman to help implement a more punishing presence in their own end. Brenden Dillon checks those boxes, as he's a big, hardnosed player, who is extremely responsible in his own end.

Who draws up the plays for the defense anyways? Is that Green, or is it Baumgartner? Either way, they need to branch out and add more pages to their playbook if they have any hopes of seeing a playoff game.

for sure they would. 

I'm not sure that its the system so much as the execution. When the team is playing to their abilities its fine. Even last game, Toffoli could have easily won that game for us, sometimes it is puck luck. I would be curious to see what Gallant would do differently but thats not going to happen this year. 

I think most of the problem stems from Green using zone structure as opposed to man to man. That and the zone being overly passive.

If we played man to man our players would focus on their check instead of going to a spot.

Everything has it's pro's and con's but man to man usually gets rid of the guy open in the slot scenarios.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Jim Benning did great trading for Taffolli his last trade... Taffoli is a complete player in his 200 foot game and will score 30 goals..

Jim should sign Toffoli 4 years x 5 million,,,,, Madden and 2nd rounder is price for a Taffoli... 

Trade was fine, he fits in well and now we can trade Boser for top D man  after Benning signs Taffoli...

Then trade Boser for that very good D man to replace Tanev...... Have to give up something good to get something good...

So many fans want to package up a Bartchi, Goldy and Sutter and get top players back..

You want a top 2 D man you have to give up a Boser..

We really need a top 2 D man under 27...

Tanev 30 , always injured and will be UFA this summer? Scary to resign him at 5 million per season...? trade for 3rd rounder at draft day..

Edler.. 34, A solid rock but time is running out and we need to get younger defensive D man...

So solid D man like,  Damon Severson 6'2, 25 years old.. Return for Boser...

Okay with Green as coach....

Hit at least 5 posts last game...

Edited by wildcam
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Jim Benning did great trading for Taffolli his last trade... Taffoli is a complete player in his 200 foot game and will score 30 goals..

Jim should sign Toffoli 4 years x 5 million,,,,, Madden and 2nd rounder is price for a Taffoli... 

Trade was fine, he fits in well and now we can trade Boser for top D man  after Benning signs Taffoli...

Then trade Boser for that very good D man to replace Tanev...... Have to give up something good to get something good...

So many fans want to package up a Bartchi, Goldy and Sutter and get top players back..

You want a top 2 D man you have to give up a Boser..

We really need a top 2 D man under 27...

Tanev 30 , always injured and will be UFA this summer? Scary to resign him at 5 million per season...? trade for 3rd rounder at draft day..

Edler.. 34, A solid rock but time is running out and we need to get younger defensive D man...

So solid D man like,  Damon Severson 6'2, 25 years old.. Return for Boser...

Okay with Green as coach....

Hit at least 5 posts last game...

Why don’t we keep Bess, and sign Tofu?  Bring back Tryamkin to take Tanev’s place.  And have Rafferty take Stecher’s place.  Plus IMO Rathbone is better than what we have, other than Hughes.  Bring in the Bone Man, and get him going early.  Then by mid season he’s playing like vet.  No more of these old guys, who are too often injured, are slow, and are soft.  

Still, The team deserves better coaching.  Green is just a softy.  

Somebody call for a fire drill,this is our defense and without our goalies standing on their heads we are not winning.

I'm not sure if it is coaching or just lack of talent but defense is our biggest weakness and needs to truly be improved.

When you have a young rookie defense man come into the league and show up veteran players it shows that it just might be lack of talent.

The only way to fix this is to get a new coach. They have been trying for weeks now and can’t do it. It seems as though they only thrived on team offence and relied on Marky’s big saves when they pinched in. I just think they need a different coach to get through to them.