The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Season Suspended

Rate this topic

18 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

The owners would sure lose a lot of money, millions for every team in the playoffs.

I actually prefer to watch the games at home on the big screen, comfortable, got my fridge, got my cannabis, no lineup for the washroom, I can pause it or rewind. I can fast-forward through the commercials and Ron MacLean. And I don't have to take the train in to Vancouver or fight the crowds on the way home. I did hear though, that if they don't allow people to attend that they would still produce the game on TV. But, I believe we would have to pay to watch the games (PPV)

I wonder as well, with this virus, packing in hoards of peope in tight spaces isn't a good idea. So, will they continue to run the Skytrain if things get worse? I have to take that germ tube every day, and some days there's people right in your face. Makes me think "maybe it's not that bad, life seems to be going on as normal. I'm still required to take the train to come in to work every day. Kids are still in school. Maybe everything will be fine?" How bad will this get?

They should open the windows on the sky train and buses.

• Like 1

SAN JOSE, CA - Sharks Sports & Entertainment is today announcing an update to events scheduled at SAP Center at San Jose through April 1, 2020.

All three San Jose Sharks games (March 19 vs. Montreal, March 21 vs. Boston and March 29 vs. Arizona) will be played as scheduled at SAP Center but will be closed to the general public.

Admission to games will be limited to home and visiting club personnel, approved credentialed media and broadcast partners, essential club and arena staff, and NHL officials.

All three Sharks games will be broadcast on television on NBC Sports California and via audio feed on the Sharks+SAP Center app, 98.5 FM KFOX and the Sharks Radio Network.

The same policy will apply for the San Jose Barracuda games scheduled for March 17 vs. Colorado and March 22 vs. Bakersfield.

All the NHL/NBA teams will follow this policy for the rest of March/season. Its only a matter of time before its decided/announced. By the weekend is my guess.

Edited by GritGrinder

It is real and it is affecting sports a lot.. I just watched Paris St. Germaint vs Borussia Dortmund

in the Champions League and there were no fans allowed.. big empty stadium.. it was really

weird to watch and a strange game because of it..

I assume the playoffs will take place but at this point I think it is more likely without fans..

Also a player from the second German soccer league got corona (he apparently got it

after a game and did not infect his teammates) BUT if he would have had just one 

training or contact with the team, the whole team would need to be in quarantine for

2 weeks.. so they were saying in that case it is possible/likely to end the season..

Thats the really scary part.. if only 1 player of 1 team gets infected it would mean

quarantine for the rest of the team for 2 weeks.. and look at the schedule, what do 

you wanna do? Can't postpone really and also can't tell this one team that they are 

out and other teams keep playing??

Apart from everything that sucks because of the virus it really annoys me now that

Canucks might make the Playoffs for the first time in 5 years and then it might not

even happen..

German Ice Hockey League just ended the season without having a champion or

postponing games..just ended..

As I am in Germany I was hearing stuff that first happened in China and I didn't care 

but then it started to be huge in Italy and now spreading in all Europe.. not to be a 

pessimist but I don't see a reason why it shouldn't spread in North America.. you

are just 1-2 weeks behind Germany, just like Germany was 1-2 weeks behind Italy

• Thanks 1

Sorry for my ignorance, but is this virus airborne? Like, if someone is unwell 10 feet from me, can I catch the virus? Or is it only transferred by touch?

Just thinking about opening the windows on the train and bus, would that help?

Never mind ruining the playoffs, don't forget that the salary cap is tied to revenue. If there are dozens of games that are played without attendance then that's going to drastically affect the revenue which will in turn affect next seasons salary cap. Friedman just said it could actually go down.

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Sorry for my ignorance, but is this virus airborne? Like, if someone is unwell 10 feet from me, can I catch the virus? Or is it only transferred by touch?

Possibly. It's spread person to person by touch or respiratory droplets produced when someone coughs or sneezes (~6 feet). Opening windows could thin in out or just disperse it more. Not sure it's worth it.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Airborne, yes you could. That's the problem with this virus.. it is spreading very well..

There was 1 infected person in a club in Berlin last weekend, now there are 16 (that are registered)

who all got infected in the club by this 1 person..

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rekker said:

Well the way Canuck luck works we will win this year to an empty arena, lol. I mean, I'd take it. But just saying. 

I was thinking the same... I'll take it too :P

Better than nothing haha

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

SAN JOSE, CA - Sharks Sports & Entertainment is today announcing an update to events scheduled at SAP Center at San Jose through April 1, 2020.

All three San Jose Sharks games (March 19 vs. Montreal, March 21 vs. Boston and March 29 vs. Arizona) will be played as scheduled at SAP Center but will be closed to the general public.

Admission to games will be limited to home and visiting club personnel, approved credentialed media and broadcast partners, essential club and arena staff, and NHL officials.

All three Sharks games will be broadcast on television on NBC Sports California and via audio feed on the Sharks+SAP Center app, 98.5 FM KFOX and the Sharks Radio Network.

The same policy will apply for the San Jose Barracuda games scheduled for March 17 vs. Colorado and March 22 vs. Bakersfield.

All the NHL/NBA teams will follow this policy for the rest of March/season. Its only a matter of time before its decided/announced. By the weekend is my guess.

well that's just f-ing fantastic. 

I am wondering what happens if a player tests positive for it. Do they quarantine the whole team and the team they played the night before? What's the protocol here?

Have heard that considering there are very little actual testing being done in the USA, that even though they are reporting a little over 1000 cases, its probably somewhere between 20k - 50k actually infected right now.

A close friend with contacts at the CDC said that CDC is predicting systemic collapse in the US in about 9 days if their current numbers are correct. That is what CDC is preparing for, and that is apparently what the White House has been briefed on but then classified it.

Time will tell, but this is bigger than most people realize. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Squamfan said:

or we will have a 3-0 lead in the finals , and Bettman will cancel the season

That's better than the Leafs.  If they were up 3-0 in the finals, Earth would likely get hit by an asteroid wiping out all life on the planet.

28 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

SAN JOSE, CA - Sharks Sports & Entertainment is today announcing an update to events....

Those teams only did this because they had to. Their cities made bylaws banning gatherings over 1000 people .. NBA Warriors also will follow same restrictions.  

They have no choice. As other cities make similar bylaws teams will have no choice.  

6 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I am wondering what happens if a player tests positive for it. Do they quarantine the whole team and the team they played the night before? What's the protocol here?

Have heard that considering there are very little actual testing being done in the USA, that even though they are reporting a little over 1000 cases, its probably somewhere between 20k - 50k actually infected right now.

A close friend with contacts at the CDC said that CDC is predicting systemic collapse in the US in about 9 days if their current numbers are correct. That is what CDC is preparing for, and that is apparently what the White House has been briefed on but then classified it.

I've heard similar. The healthcare systems, and medication will be maxed out. Considering a huge percentage of medicine is manufactured in China, that could be problematic.

A lot of people are woefully underprepared for what might happen. If the infection rate rises rapidly, mutations will most likely, and may already have occurred. Mutations that will no longer just harm the elderly or sick. Batten down the hatches. A storm in coming.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think as soon as one player or team employee tests positive, the league will pretty much shut down. Far too much travel and cross contact for 31 teams if someone on the inside is exposed.

It's why schools in BC haven't closed until there's at least one suspected case. 

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

Those teams only did this because they had to. Their cities made bylaws banning gatherings over 1000 people .. NBA Warriors also will follow same restrictions.  

They have no choice. As other cities make similar bylaws teams will have no choice.  

I'm surprised that New York, Chicago, and other large metropolitan areas haven't already enacted similar bans on large gatherings.

1 minute ago, Where's Wellwood said:

I think as soon as one player or team employee tests positive, the league will pretty much shut down. Far too much travel and cross contact for 31 teams if someone on the inside is exposed.

It's why schools in BC haven't closed until there's at least one suspected case. 

I'd be truly amazed if there isn't a case within the next two weeks.