The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Season Suspended

Rate this topic

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

If this thing is going to resume at some point I’m thinking neutral sites are the way to go.

Doesn’t even have to be NHL facilities. Could be a university in Michigan or an AHL building in Tucson. Doesn’t matter as there likely won’t be fans and therefore no home ice advantage regardless.

Gotta be based on points percentage as there wont be a fair way to get everyone to the same number of games played.

I think the two wild card spot holders in each conference will have to play a best of 3 or 5 series against the next two teams in the standings. These will be the warmup games for the playoffs and determine the final two wild card teams.

The rest of the teams in the top 3 of each division will play each other within their conferences to determine things like standings, division winners, and matchups. So Vancouver would play Edmonton, Vegas, St.Louis, Colorado, and Dallas once. Then each teams record in those 5 games would determine the top 3 of each division and ultimately the division winner. Tie breaker rules would be the same.

That gives these teams a tuneup for playoffs as well as giving teams a fair chance to win their divisions with meaningful games. The Presidents trophy will be awarded to Boston but does not come with home ice advantage unless they win their division (extra motivation)

The playoffs would then resume as “normal”.

why not the 73game schedule I proposed earlier?

16 hours ago, Yung1 said:

There are many scenarios that could work if the league and the players are motivated enough.

Things will obviously have to improve before any of this is possible. But the fact that they’re considering playing without fans in remote locations at least shows that everything seems to be on the table.

On 4/6/2020 at 8:45 PM, Yung1 said:

Maybe.. but what's the point without any fans? players wouldn't really like it, no money for owners from tickets sales.. lame-o.. 

either way, sounds like if Bill Gates gets his way, only vaccinated fans will have access to any professional sports events in the future.. crazy.. 

1 hour ago, granpappy said:

vaccine first, then the return plan would kick in

Doubtful.

Vaccine is likely more than 6 months away.

The first step will be making sure our health care systems are fully equipped and able to detect and contain outbreaks, then hopefully a treatment drug can be identified.

If that can happen they’ll likely be able to resume.

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Doubtful.

Vaccine is likely more than 6 months away.

The first step will be making sure our health care systems are fully equipped and able to detect and contain outbreaks, then hopefully a treatment drug can be identified.

If that can happen they’ll likely be able to resume.

6 month vaccine would be a godsend. it may be 12months +. there is so much they don't yet know about the virus. they don't even know for sure if you can be reinfected. they don't know long term effects of having been infected. this is no ordinary flu. it's very sad but i will be surprised if they are able to complete the season in any format. if they did play games would they restrict anyone 70+ or with underlying medical conditions? of course the info we are getting is very conflicting. there are reports of falttening curves while at the same time further, extended quarantines worldwide. there is also a dearth of accurate reporting with china the most unreliable source of statistics. i ignore almost any stats or info being reported by xi's regime. at this point i just cannot see any pro leagues willing to or legally able to risk the lives of millions of fans as well as their athletes 

5 hours ago, granpappy said:

6 month vaccine would be a godsend. it may be 12months +. there is so much they don't yet know about the virus. they don't even know for sure if you can be reinfected. they don't know long term effects of having been infected. this is no ordinary flu. it's very sad but i will be surprised if they are able to complete the season in any format. if they did play games would they restrict anyone 70+ or with underlying medical conditions? of course the info we are getting is very conflicting. there are reports of falttening curves while at the same time further, extended quarantines worldwide. there is also a dearth of accurate reporting with china the most unreliable source of statistics. i ignore almost any stats or info being reported by xi's regime. at this point i just cannot see any pro leagues willing to or legally able to risk the lives of millions of fans as well as their athletes 

Then you get stories like this:

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/3079443/coronavirus-could-target-immune-system-targeting-protective

Coronavirus could attack immune system like HIV by targeting protective cells, warn scientists

• Researchers in China and the US find that the virus that causes Covid-19 can destroy the T cells that are supposed to protect the body from harmful invaders
  • One doctor said concern is growing in medical circles that effect could be similar to HIV

Yikes.

On 4/14/2020 at 8:47 AM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I expect the NHL to cancel the season within a week..  mayors and governors in the USA are looking at stopping concert and arena sports to 2021..   this may affect the next season of play for many sports .

3 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I expect the NHL to cancel the season within a week..  mayors and governors in the USA are looking at stopping concert and arena sports to 2021..   this may affect the next season of play for many sports .

I think you missed the part that said leagues would return with no fans.

USAs top health official announced that leagues would likely be able to play without fans in the summer.

Bettman also stated today that his guess would be that they resume in the summer and that playing without fans is still on the table.

As soon as one major league makes the move to resume the rest will likely follow.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I think you missed the part that said leagues would return with no fans.

USAs top health official announced that leagues would likely be able to play without fans in the summer.

Bettman also stated today that his guess would be that they resume in the summer and that playing without fans is still on the table.

As soon as one major league makes the move to resume the rest will likely follow.

I wonder how the players feel about facing off against each other when there has been Contracted cases reported by athletes..

it’s going to be interesting.

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

I wonder how the players feel about facing off against each other when there has been Contracted cases reported by athletes..

it’s going to be interesting.

Well Dr.Fauci suggested that players would remain quarantined in hotels and testing would be done weekly.

I mean I think they’d face less risk than most people who are still working. And hopefully by June/July cases have plateaued and are under control.

If done the right way I see the players and owners being on board.

It would be weird without fans but you’d get used to it. The crowd is really just background noise anyways.

I am not sure how they would expect to keep the players locked down so tightly as to not expose them. There are plenty of staff in and around NHL teams. Once someone (player, coach, training staff) on a team gets it, or even an arena worker, announcer, support staff gets it, havoc ensues and could likely eliminate one if not both teams from contention.

Even without fans, is this even feasible?  Quick, complete and regular testing would be paramount.

Edited by kloubek